Thread: Our Education System

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Tell us how you would teach a penguin, fish, seal, dog, monkey, and elephant. You are asking the educational system to do something impossible whether the teacher is black or white.
    YAWNNNNNNNN more ignorance.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    So, you're unwilling to discuss something you don't understand? I guess the problem is yours then....
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,760 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    YAWNNNNNNNN more ignorance.
    Anybody can criticize a system for its problems. Suggesting solutions is the only thing that will improve it. Giving everybody trophies for participating and trying to build their self-esteem with high grades has obviously not been improving anything.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Truth Detector (12-03-2019)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    So, you're unwilling to discuss something you don't understand? I guess the problem is yours then....
    Why don't you do something that you understand, like embracing Trump's behind.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-02-2019)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

I can always tell when my post hit white folks a certain way.............it falls to the back of the pack!
    Not to worry, our racist faux schoolmarm is here to troll the thread, I see. lol

I saw this cartoon many moons ago. It's full of truth. We are all "differently-abled." Our system tries to take a classroom of 25 or 30 disparate human beings and proceed to "teach" them as though they were a single organism. It hasn't worked for a long time.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Anybody can criticize a system for its problems. Suggesting solutions is the only thing that will improve it. Giving everybody trophies for participating and trying to build their self-esteem with high grades has obviously not been improving anything.
    So we shouldn't criticize anything unless we can fix it?

How would *you* fix our educational system?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    So we shouldn't criticize anything unless we can fix it?

How would *you* fix our educational system?
    It wasn't a real criticism--it was a cartoon with a nebulous message that tells us what we already know--all students are not the same.

Some things can't be "fixed." But, I would start by trying to make sure instruction was actually occurring in the classrooms. By the time students reach secondary school too many classes spend their time with "free" periods, watching movies, having "discussions" that might be interesting but teach nothing, and playing on the computer. Many have never read a book.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

anonymoose (12-03-2019), TOP (12-03-2019), Truth Detector (12-03-2019)

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Why would you want to teach a fish to climb? Fish don’t climb.

The education system has failed you and you don’t even know it.

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It wasn't a real criticism--it was a cartoon with a nebulous message that tells us what we already know--all students are not the same.

Some things can't be "fixed." But, I would start by trying to make sure instruction was actually occurring in the classrooms. By the time students reach secondary school too many classes spend their time with "free" periods, watching movies, having "discussions" that might be interesting but teach nothing, and playing on the computer. Many have never read a book.
    Whitesplaing education and have never stepped foot in a urban school.

YOU can’t tell me shit about what goes on.

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

How long ago did this begin happening? My youngest graduated h.s. in 2005. Certainly she and her sister did not spend their h.s. time that way.

I'd like to see grade schools, at least, try this idea. First, get rid of some of that burdensome admin staff. Then get rid of the one teacher/25 student thing. Hire paraprofessionals and do a team-teaching approach. The students would be divided into small groups and paired with a teaching assistant who could give more individualized instruction based on what the students' level is. This could be a fluid system where students could move between levels as warranted. The teacher would be responsible for curriculum and lesson plans, oversight of the assistants, and testing. Even if only implemented up to grade five or six, I think this would be a much better way to teach then the one-size-fits-all current system.

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    How long ago did this begin happening? My youngest graduated h.s. in 2005. Certainly she and her sister did not spend their h.s. time that way.

I'd like to see grade schools, at least, try this idea. First, get rid of some of that burdensome admin staff. Then get rid of the one teacher/25 student thing. Hire paraprofessionals and do a team-teaching approach. The students would be divided into small groups and paired with a teaching assistant who could give more individualized instruction based on what the students' level is. This could be a fluid system where students could move between levels as warranted. The teacher would be responsible for curriculum and lesson plans, oversight of the assistants, and testing. Even if only implemented up to grade five or six, I think this would be a much better way to teach then the one-size-fits-all current system.
    They are already doing a lot of the things you recommend--"collaboration" is the latest trend (what you call group work). I think they do a better job in elementary school but it falls off in secondary. All classes are not that way but too many are. Your child may have been a very good student, but too many choose to do little or nothing but still pass.

All studies show grades have risen (grade inflation) while students spend less time studying. Part of the problem is demographic--the middle class has fewer children and lower income have more. Middle income schools perform better than lower income schools regardless of the the amount of money or class size.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

TOP (12-05-2019)

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

First off, get republicans and racist whites away from education.

Second, Stop allocating funds according to neighborhoods. Education should be ran on a federal level. Money should be allocated evenly for every student and every school. This, by, extension is the same as the racist states rights excuse for exclusion.

Third, stop discussing education or the lack there of without Blacks and other minorities at the table. In other words LISTEN!

NOTHING else will work until the playing field is equal.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-02-2019)

18. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

They are already doing a lot of the things you recommend--"collaboration" is the latest trend (what you call group work). I think they do a better job in elementary school but it falls off in secondary. All classes are not that way but too many are. Your child may have been a very good student, but too many choose to do little or nothing but still pass.

All studies show grades have risen (grade inflation) while students spend less time studying. Part of the problem is demographic--the middle class has fewer children and lower income have more. Middle income schools perform better than lower income schools regardless of the the amount of money or class size.
    Stop being a fuckin coward and just say Blacks don’t want to learn.

Stop spreading lies

19. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Who said I was a teacher?

But since you asked........I skool white folks every day on the damage they have done to it's minority american citizens.

Any more questions?
    This is the saddest thing ever.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Truth Detector (12-03-2019)

21. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Pete Buttigieg Says He ‘Was Slow To Realize’ South Bend Schools Were Segregated..

Perhaps we fix segregation?