Members banned from this thread: cancel2 2022, Truth Detector, moon, Robo, canceled.2021.2, Getin the ring, volsrock, Loving91390, artichoke, Bobb, Lord Yurt and Cancel 2020.2

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Semitic Beliefs Grow Among Evangelicals

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 429 Times in 408 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    ^ Too afraid to debate so ad-hom is her only trick.
    There's nothing to debate here, Cindy. You're a pathetic and cunty troll.

Pweeze dry your cum-stained tears.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CharacterAssassin For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-25-2019)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Pure, unadulterated.....BULLSHIT. You're making shit up again.

Which Lutheran synod were you a member of?
    Honey, you're too stupid to know if she's making anything up, and she's not.

Please stop fisting yourself in public.

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,494 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Pure, unadulterated.....BULLSHIT. You're making shit up again.

Which Lutheran synod were you a member of?
    American Lutheran Church. My best friend's dad was a pastor in the LC-Missouri Synod. My mom and hers were both Sunday school teachers. Doesn't matter what *you* believe is true; I heard negative things from adults around us about the Jews. It was kind of ironic since at least three of our nearby neighbors were Jewish, and everyone liked them just fine. In my 20s I briefly attended a fundie (Pentacostal) church and heard plenty of negative stuff about Jews there, as well.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

CharacterAssassin (08-25-2019), Cypress (08-25-2019), Guno צְבִי (08-25-2019)

7. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,543 Times in 14,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    American Lutheran Church. My best friend's dad was a pastor in the LC-Missouri Synod. My mom and hers were both Sunday school teachers. Doesn't matter what *you* believe is true; I heard negative things from adults around us about the Jews. It was kind of ironic since at least three of our nearby neighbors were Jewish, and everyone liked them just fine. In my 20s I briefly attended a fundie (Pentacostal) church and heard plenty of negative stuff about Jews there, as well.
    Luther initially believed that kindness toward Jews was the right path, if only for the purpose of enlightening them and opening their eyes to Christianity. As a professor of Old Testament, he believed that Jews could be taught the proper meaning of certain Hebrew Bible verses prophesying Jesus’ life, messianic mandate, and New Covenant, thereby leading to their conversion. This period in Luther’s early fame is represented by his essay “That Jesus Christ Was Born a Jew” (1523). Both the title and intermittent points of the tract foreshadowed some elements of 20th-century Christian outreach to and reconciliation with Jews. For example, Luther writes, “We gentiles are relatives by marriage and strangers, while they [the Jews] are of the same blood, cousins and brothers of our Lord” (I rely here as elsewhere on Thomas Kauf*mann’s Luther’s Jews: A Journey into Anti-Semitism).

But this attitude did not last. Frustrated by Jewish steadfastness, and misinformed regarding Jewish practices, Luther in his later years undid his early openness toward the Jewish people and penned anti-Jewish rants. “On the Jews and Their Lies” (1543) is a patently anti-Semitic document. He writes:

And so, dear Christian, beware of the Jews . . . you can see how God’s wrath has consigned them to the Devil, who has robbed them not only of a proper understanding of the Scriptures, but also of common human reason, modesty and sense. . . . Thus, when you see a real Jew you may with a good conscience cross yourself, and boldly say, “There goes the Devil incarnate.”

Worse than that, Luther’s rage and increasing religious and political power were accompanied by a program for protecting Christian society from Jewish influence and contamination by burning or razing synagogues, destroying Jewish homes, confiscating Jewish holy books, banning Jewish religious worship, expropriating Jewish money, and deporting Jews.

Luther’s anti-Judaism might have been forgotten and even understood as a product of his times. After all, Luther preached in a Wittenberg church where anti-Jewish art—the notorious Judensau depicting Jews nursing on the teats of swine—had been installed hundreds of years before he was born. But Luther’s prolific output, his mastery of the media revolution unleashed by Gutenberg, and his role as founder of a religious movement that would have many offshoots guaranteed that he would never be forgotten.

Never was that more painfully clear than with the rise of Nazism. Hitler was influenced by those who appropriated and reenergized Luther’s anti-Jewish polemics. Chillingly, in November 1938, just two weeks after Kristallnacht, Martin Sasse, bishop of the Evangelical Church of Thuringia, published a pamphlet titled Martin Luther and the Jews: Away with Them! Sasse wrote:

On 10 November, Luther’s birthday, the synagogues are burning. . . . At this moment, we must hear the voice of the prophet of the Germans from the sixteenth century, who out of ignorance began as a friend of the Jews but who, guided by his conscience, experience and reality became the greatest anti-Semite of his age, the one who warned his nation against the Jews.

That polemic, with a print run of 100,000 copies, connected the dots be*tween Luther’s aspiration for the burning of synagogues to its fulfillment by the Nazis.

In a similar vein, Julius Streicher, who founded the anti-Semitic paper Der Stürmer and was sentenced to death at Nuremberg for crimes against humanity, defended his actions by saying they were inspired by Luther himself. It was Luther, he suggested, not he, who should be on trial.

https://www.christiancentury.org/art...uther-and-lies
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

8. The Following User Groans At Guno צְבִי For This Awful Post:

MAGA MAN (08-25-2019)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Cypress (08-25-2019), ThatOwlWoman (08-25-2019)

10. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Anti jewish bias in conservative and traditional christinity is not a well guarded secret.

I have personally seen anti Jewish prejudice in orthodox Christian communities .

11. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

PostmodernProphet (08-25-2019)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-25-2019), ThatOwlWoman (08-25-2019)

13. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Were these people still Zionists?

14. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Were these people still Zionists?
    Which people? Our Jewish neighbors? If that's who you mean, I don't have a clue. They were just neighbors.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-25-2019)

16. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Which people? Our Jewish neighbors? If that's who you mean, I don't have a clue. They were just neighbors.
    I mean the Christians that you mentioned who said negative things about Jews.

17. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    I love how you're too pussy to quote me.

There's nothing to debate here, Cindy. You're a pathetic and cunty troll.

Pweeze dry your cum-stained tears.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CharacterAssassin For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-25-2019)

19. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I mean the Christians that you mentioned who said negative things about Jews.
    I have no idea. It's only been in recent years that I've even heard that term. I'm not even sure what it means. How do *you* define it?

My impression was, from what was said, that they all loved the "Holy Land" and were glad that it was in the hands of the Israelis but overall they disliked Jews as a whole.

20. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I have no idea. It's only been in recent years that I've even heard that term. I'm not even sure what it means. How do *you* define it?
    I see it as complete support of Israel no matter what. A more inclusive definition would be simply supporting the existence of Israel as a Jewish state, which used to be the only definition, but today people who call themselves Zionists are usually the first definition.

My impression was, from what was said, that they all loved the "Holy Land" and were glad that it was in the hands of the Israelis but overall they disliked Jews as a whole.
    And they never noticed the contradiction? I guess that's just religion at work.

21. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I see it as complete support of Israel no matter what. A more inclusive definition would be simply supporting the existence of Israel as a Jewish state, which used to be the only definition, but today people who call themselves Zionists are usually the first definition.
    OIC. Thanks.

And they never noticed the contradiction? I guess that's just religion at work.
    Yeah. Well, as I said, there were some who stated that the Jews killed Jesus so it was okay to dislike them. Others seemed more resentful towards Jews, as though they (the Jews) thought that they were better than everyone else, had more wealth, power, success, etc. To be fair, in the latter instance I also saw that same attitude towards Catholics too -- the perception that Catholics thought themselves superior.

22. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,417 Times in 7,536 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    why would anyone who knows you hate Jews?......
    Joono's posts make me antisemetic.

23. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Your anecdotal example is the opposite of mine. I was taken to Baptist church growing up and never heard one unkind word spoken about Jews. In fact, they always said Jews were God's chosen people.

Left wing democrats are the most anti-semitic "group" I've ever encountered. They hide behind the word "anti-Zionist" but their true feelings and motivations are evident to anyone with a functioning brain.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Golden For This Post:

MAGA MAN (08-25-2019)