Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Think it's cold where you're at?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    I have encountered a few folks living off the grid in these discussions, but they usually are living in the middle of a desert or some other bum fuck egypt place where their true savings are in not having to have a forest's worth of utility poles installed to get them on grid. Don't recall any of them being at JPP though.
    How did you verify that they were actually living off the grid?

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    How did you verify that they were actually living off the grid?
    Photos posted of their set up. I have participated in several sites dedicated to farming, agriculture, homesteading, etc that delve into the political or political that delve into the personal day to day stuff and the lot and people often share photos of that stuff as they are chuffed with their efforts. I recall one person lived in the middle of the desert and one lived on a mountain top out west somewhere. I have seen others. Most people who do it, still tether to the grid though.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Photos posted of their set up. I have participated in several sites dedicated to farming, agriculture, homesteading, etc that delve into the political or political that delve into the personal day to day stuff and the lot and people often share photos of that stuff as they are chuffed with their efforts. I recall one person lived in the middle of the desert and one lived on a mountain top out west somewhere. I have seen others. Most people who do it, still tether to the grid though.
    I see.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I see.
    One of my biggest complaints with the government wasting billions in subsidizing big electric instead of coming up with an easier way to go from on-grid to off-grid and back again at will. I personally know a man who tried to live with no government utilities--no power, harvested water or brought it in, and heat/cook with wood. When the city found out about it, they had a freaking cow.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

One of my biggest complaints with the government wasting billions in subsidizing big electric instead of coming up with an easier way to go from on-grid to off-grid and back again at will. I personally know a man who tried to live with no government utilities--no power, harvested water or brought it in, and heat/cook with wood. When the city found out about it, they had a freaking cow.
    Was there a sanitation issue?

I understand that fires are prohibited because of wildfire risks in many locales during the dry season, and that some jurisdictions don't allow the use of a fireplace at any time.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Was there a sanitation issue?
    No.

I understand that fires are prohibited because of wildfire risks in many locales during the dry season, and that some jurisdictions don't allow the use of a fireplace at any time.
    He had a woodstove and used candles and such. That wasn't the issue. All our utilities are government owned and doing this meant he was escaping their grasp and not paying the sewage and trash pick up fees that are attached to water and electric. I have a few houses sitting vacant but with services connected. It is almost $70 a month each to have just utilities etc hooked up with zero consumption. If you don't keep them on now, they condemn the property. When they switched to smart meters, they bought software that allows them to determine every house that doesn't have utilities connected at a click of a mouse when they used to really have no idea. They forced this guy to at least hook up water and electric even if he didn't use them (i.e. pay them at least $70 a month). He continued to not use them for about a year but had to when he had health issues that made it too hard to deal with wood and he had to have one of those oxygen machines for a long time.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,811 Times in 14,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Must be global warming.
    stupid goyim
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,000 Times in 8,027 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,672 Times in 1,550 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    As long as Inhofe can find a snowball it's all fake.
    The AGW denier idiots must not understand the mathematical concept of "averages", as in "the AVERAGE global temperature is rising".

And extreme weather, including extreme winter cold and storms, was long ago predicted as one of the effects AGW would have on our weather.

Now, those predictions are coming true and the nose-picker knuckle-draggers are still scoffing.

Human stupidity is eternal and on the rise, I guess.

Trump in the WH being a prime example of that.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 51 Times in 48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Cold temps are simply weather, only hot temps are global warming/climate change.
    Actually both are part. The warm air keeps the Arctic air at bay a lot more then usual, and it builds up. When the warm air lessens, the cold Arctic air sweeps south, and once again it's more then usual. The temps keep battling each other, and we never seem to just transition over. Where I am was going to be cold, then it's going to warm up with rain, get cold again, and finally have some snow the day after Christmas. Of course that was when I looked last week.

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Somad View Post
    Extreme weather, including extreme winter cold and storms, was long ago predicted as one of the effects AGW would have on our weather. Now, those predictions are coming true.
    Are they?

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

122918.jpg

Crossed 13 inches of global warming and still falling.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The Following User Groans At Irish Exit For This Awful Post:

Phantasmal (12-09-2018)

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

We can't have people wandering off of the corporate state reservation now can we.

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

122918.jpg

Crossed 13 inches of global warming and still falling.
    Yeah, if Inhofe can find a snowball it's all make believe. Watch.