Thread: College Football 2018 - minus the troll

1. #301 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Right now, I think he's really got to take the medical issues (brain cyst) much more seriously....that job is 24/7 and so not stress free....he
    will stay on with the university in some capacity, I'm sure... He was awesome, and will be missed as a coach..the Buckeye family is as strong as they come....and he is a homegrown Buckeye...
    He needs to try some kind of surgery to fix the brain cyst,there are two procedures that are available.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

2. #302 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    A former president of the Univ of Alabama said that hiring Nick Saban was the best investment he made during his tenure at Alabama.

Yes, the UA spent a lot of money on Saban and on the facilities. But the money made from winning, has more than paid that back. The profit from the football program, not only supports the entire athletic dept, but helps the university in many areas.

There is almost no facet of the university that has not benefited. From the dramatic increase in out of state students, and the higher tuition they pay, to a significant increase in the average SAT scores of incoming freshmen. It has been a win/win situation.

Saban has created possibly the greatest dynasty in the history of college athletics, certainly in college football. His recruiting of the top players has gotten easier the more he wins. How many coaches can go into a recruit's home and say "Every recruiting class I have had since I arrived at Alabama has won at least one National Championship". And the number of players drafted into the NFL is another lure. They leave Alabama ready for the next level.
    Of course he did, he has to justify paying him. I've read these same justifications from similar schools, and they are all fed and framed with figures generated by the University or State itself. You yourself did it when we were exchanging on graduation rates and majors, something Alabama even went to Court to avoid releasing

And, "no facet of the university that has not benefited," last I recall, Alabama isn't really noted as a leading academic university, so this supposed cash making football program hasn't gone a long way to change the school's reputation

Of course he built a dynasty, like saying the New York Yankees built a dynasty, just like Alabama, they had the most money to spend to build that dynasty, only difference, the Yankees make no pretense of being anything but a professional team, last I knew, Alabama was a school

Can't blame you, ain't a whole lot of anything else going on in Alabama, but don't boast it as great amateur athletic achievement, it has been bought for decades

3. #303 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    Nick Saban is 56th on the list of America's best college football coaches! He has definitely been successful at Bama!

And he makes so much money- the NFL cannot even match it!
    He wouldn't last in the NFL, he's operating in a system out of balance with his competitors and heavily weighed in his favor. Everyone in the NFL has money, so right out of the gate he would lose that advantage. Happens to most of the big bucks college coaches who enter the NFL, they suddenly have to complete on the same level as everyone else

4. #304 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,417 Times in 7,536 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nick Saban is 56th on the list of America's best college football coaches! !
    You got a link to that? I find it hard to believe. Seems he's the best of all time even at this point.

5. #305 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    You got a link to that? I find it hard to believe. Seems he's the best of all time even at this point.
    Here is what I was looking at. Bear Bryant is 7th on the list!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._with_200_wins

6. #306 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    He wouldn't last in the NFL, he's operating in a system out of balance with his competitors and heavily weighed in his favor. Everyone in the NFL has money, so right out of the gate he would lose that advantage. Happens to most of the big bucks college coaches who enter the NFL, they suddenly have to complete on the same level as everyone else
    I was always a fan of Pete Carroll before and since his induction into the NFL!

He's been really good and effective with the NFL team!

7. #307 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Here is what I was looking at. Bear Bryant is 7th on the list!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._with_200_wins
    That is a list based on the number of wins only.

8. #308 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Of course he did, he has to justify paying him. I've read these same justifications from similar schools, and they are all fed and framed with figures generated by the University or State itself. You yourself did it when we were exchanging on graduation rates and majors, something Alabama even went to Court to avoid releasing

And, "no facet of the university that has not benefited," last I recall, Alabama isn't really noted as a leading academic university, so this supposed cash making football program hasn't gone a long way to change the school's reputation

Of course he built a dynasty, like saying the New York Yankees built a dynasty, just like Alabama, they had the most money to spend to build that dynasty, only difference, the Yankees make no pretense of being anything but a professional team, last I knew, Alabama was a school

Can't blame you, ain't a whole lot of anything else going on in Alabama, but don't boast it as great amateur athletic achievement, it has been bought for decades
    The athletes are amateurs. Just like at the other schools.

9. #309 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That is a list based on the number of wins only.
    I think more so to do with the club of coaches who have 200 wins or more! That was never an easy club to be in!

Basically, I learned a lot from that list!

And I'll just go ahead and say it, it's impossible to say who the best looking woman in the world is, or to say who the best guitarist in the world is, just as it is impossible to say who the best college football coach was or is! Once you are so good, you become a master at your craft- along with all the other masters!

10. #310 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The athletes are amateurs. Just like at the other schools.
    I don't think people at Vanderbilt would agree with that statement

I keep telling you and you keep sticking to your Saturday fantasies, it is semi-pro football, they are semi-pro players, didn't ever occur to you, that unlike other college athletics, football is totally dominated by State schools, there are probably only a half dozen private schools involved, and for the most part they aren't competitive.

No matter what you do in life, if the checkbook is fully open, you should be sucessful

11. #311 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't think people at Vanderbilt would agree with that statement

I keep telling you and you keep sticking to your Saturday fantasies, it is semi-pro football, they are semi-pro players, didn't ever occur to you, that unlike other college athletics, football is totally dominated by State schools, there are probably only a half dozen private schools involved, and for the most part they aren't competitive.

No matter what you do in life, if the checkbook is fully open, you should be sucessful
    Yes, the state schools spend a LOT of money on their football programs. But that does not mean they pay their athletes. The coaching staff, facilities ect cost a lot of money, if you want a consistently winning program.

I am not sticking to any fantasies. I know that with as many haters as there are out there, if there was one iota of evidence that the players were paid, it would have been "leaked". If for no other reason than to knock us out of post season play.

12. #312 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes, the state schools spend a LOT of money on their football programs. But that does not mean they pay their athletes. The coaching staff, facilities ect cost a lot of money, if you want a consistently winning program.

I am not sticking to any fantasies. I know that with as many haters as there are out there, if there was one iota of evidence that the players were paid, it would have been "leaked". If for no other reason than to knock us out of post season play.
    Nah, nobody cares that Alabama is in the playoffs, and would anyone leak anything that would spoil the good thing they got going

You also confirmed that it isn't a level playing field, those that spend the most win the most, which is what I've been saying all along, it is semi-pro football.

13. #313 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nah, nobody cares that Alabama is in the playoffs, and would anyone leak anything that would spoil the good thing they got going

You also confirmed that it isn't a level playing field, those that spend the most win the most, which is what I've been saying all along, it is semi-pro football.
    Nobody cares that Alabama is in the playoffs? YOu haven't been paying attention. Alabama's rivals would love to see something come out that would put Bama on probation. In fact, if you had documentation of the players being paid to play, the boosters and alum from LSU, TN, auburn and Georgia would tell you to name your price.

And the businesses that spend the most win the most.
    And the academic programs that spend the most money on professors and research win the most.
    It is the nature of almost every facet of our lives.

But there is a difference between paying top dollar for coaches and facilities, and paying the players to play. As I said, the players are amateurs.

14. #314 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nobody cares that Alabama is in the playoffs? YOu haven't been paying attention. Alabama's rivals would love to see something come out that would put Bama on probation. In fact, if you had documentation of the players being paid to play, the boosters and alum from LSU, TN, auburn and Georgia would tell you to name your price.

And the businesses that spend the most win the most.
    And the academic programs that spend the most money on professors and research win the most.
    It is the nature of almost every facet of our lives.

But there is a difference between paying top dollar for coaches and facilities, and paying the players to play. As I said, the players are amateurs.
    That's what I said, nobody cares that Alabama is in the playoffs, a few disgruntled fans from those schools you mentioned, who by the way need to get a life if they allow college football to define them that much, isn't a lot of people

The point you are missing is that colleges, Universities, aren't by definition, businesses, rather schools, whose primary function is develop and deliver the best "academic programs" they can

And you again confirmed my point, it is not an equal playing field, with the money the State gives them and they spend in comparison to other institutions Alabama should be in the playoffs

15. #315 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's what I said, nobody cares that Alabama is in the playoffs, a few disgruntled fans from those schools you mentioned, who by the way need to get a life if they allow college football to define them that much, isn't a lot of people

The point you are missing is that colleges, Universities, aren't by definition, businesses, rather schools, whose primary function is develop and deliver the best "academic programs" they can

And you again confirmed my point, it is not an equal playing field, with the money the State gives them and they spend in comparison to other institutions Alabama should be in the playoffs
    A few disgruntled fans? lmao It is much more than that. A third of the SEC schools boast stadiums that seat over 100k people. For comparison, the largest home field stadium for NFL teams is the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum at around 93k.

Colleges and universities aren't businesses? In some ways no. But in many ways, yes they are. And at Alabama, the football teams makes a very large profit. Which helps the entire campus. But if universities aren't businesses, why do they get paid for research? Why are professors under the "publish or perish" pressure?

But my point about Alabama's rivals being willing to pay big bucks for info that would knock Alabama out of the running stands.

And winning pays big.
    from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm.../#7c30efff2777
    "From 2005 through 2012, the average championship-winning team saw football revenue increase 11% in its title year, and that growth was even more significant through the following season - across the three seasons from the year prior to the title win to the year after, winning teams experienced an average 18% surge in income."

from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbe.../#d2329b53243c
    "Not only did Nick Saban deliver the University of Alabama its 4th national college football title in 7 years, but he also helped subsidize the entire Crimson Tide athletics department by generating an astonishing $95,132,301 in revenue, the most ever by any single team in the history of college sports."

And Alabama is not winning just because they are spending more. There are at least 3 teams that have greater athletic dept expenses than Alabama. Uni of Michigan spends $175 million. Ohio State spends $173 million. And the Univ of Texas spends $207 million. Alabama spends $158 million.

And it is not just state schools that are spending money on athletics and doing well. Stanford and Notre Dame are private schools and competing at a high level. Notre Dame is ranked #3 and in the playoffs. Notre Dame even played in one of the last BCS Championship games for the National Championship. But they were beaten soundly by Alabama. (and ND subsequently had their wins vacated for violations of NCAA rules)