Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: addiction is a medical problem

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Unhappy addiction is a medical problem

people are really down on addicts, but the medical profession says that addiction is a disease

we know that alcohol and tobacco addictions are major problems but so are addictions to various 'recreational' drugs

would you advocate putting people with the flu or diabetes in jail

an article today -

WASHINGTON (April 2) - Scientists say they have pinpointed a genetic link that makes people more likely to get hooked on tobacco, causing them to smoke more cigarettes, making it harder to quit, and leading more often to deadly lung cancer.

what other genetic problems lead to addiction and how long before they are discovered

i had a bout of walking pneumonia a few years ago and it added pleurisy to the problems the day i was admitted to the hospital

if you have never had pleurisy, trust me it feels like you are being cut in half

they gave me a strong pain medication and i could feel the medication moving through my system eliminating the pain - that was the day that i truly understood addiction - it scared me more than anything else in my life

i knew that if i was in enough pain that i would do anything to stop it

there is emotional, mental and physical pain - what would you do to ease severe pain
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

The human mind sets itself up for addiction. It underestimates the difficulty of breaking it almost all the time. People who condemn others as weak for having addiction fall to it just as easily. There's no elitism to be had here, it's a human problem. Jail isn't the answer, and in any case, it's more expensive than treatment.
    Last edited by FUCK THE POLICE; 04-02-2008 at 11:22 PM.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just hanging around, waiting for one of the "personal responsibility" nutters to start spraying.
    Dumbarse and learning to live with it.

How about you?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diuretic View Post
    Just hanging around, waiting for one of the "personal responsibility" nutters to start spraying.
    Doesn't an addiction to a drug require that one be stupid enough to first try it in the first place? I don't want to lock anyone up, but I don't want to have to spend any money on willfully ignorant people either.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Doesn't an addiction to a drug require that one be stupid enough to first try it in the first place? I don't want to lock anyone up, but I don't want to have to spend any money on willfully ignorant people either.
    This statement is stupid. It doesn't require stupidity for someone to try drugs, but it does require idiocy for someone to think so.

Idiot.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's true, but you'd have to hope that a strong education message would help people make decisions about what substances they use and how they use them. And perhaps - I admit this is a long shot - they could be educated about reliance on substances and how addiction happens.

How about you?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Diuretic View Post
    That's true, but you'd have to hope that a strong education message would help people make decisions about what substances they use and how they use them. And perhaps - I admit this is a long shot - they could be educated about reliance on substances and how addiction happens.
    Doesn't work at all. I am a graduate of the DARE program, and have even contributed money to it, but its been a total failure except in certain settings...

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    This statement is stupid. It doesn't require stupidity for someone to try drugs, but it does require idiocy for someone to think so.

Idiot.
    To use illicit drugs is comepletely stupid, and willfully so, which is inexcusable. I consider myself stupid, but I didn't choose to be inferior. I have always envied people with natural tallent who piss it away, like those math geniouses who skip class and flunk out. If drugs were legal, we'd see the true toll on the idiots who use them. And we could save money by not fighting to "protect them from themselves."

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Doesn't work at all. I am a graduate of the DARE program, and have even contributed money to it, but its been a total failure except in certain settings...
    I think the DARE programme is a failure.

How about you?

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

To use illicit drugs is comepletely stupid, and willfully so, which is inexcusable. I consider myself stupid, but I didn't choose to be inferior. I have always envied people with natural tallent who piss it away, like those math geniouses who skip class and flunk out. If drugs were legal, we'd see the true toll on the idiots who use them. And we could save money by not fighting to "protect them from themselves."
    To use consciousness-altering substances is entirely human. We do that stuff.

It's not going to go away because someone says make it go away.

It's not going to go away because someone says, "don't".

Now, having got that out of the way, what should we do?

How about you?

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You're not stupid, you wouldn't bother with this forum if you were.

How about you?

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

3d

what about people that are prescribed pain killers and get addicted?

what about people that try a drug and discover that suddenly they cannot do without it (without help that is)

aside from all of the above, we have a problem that is not going to go away by itself and is maiming and killing people daily
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Threedee = idiot
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The only correct statement you've made is that you're stupid.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

3d

meet mr. pointy