Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Duck boat' design flaw flagged years ago

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 3,648 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    Seems to me you're failing to make clear a distinction between what is right, and an adjudicated outcome.

We can quibble details over the waterlogged remnants. But I consider it a certitude that this disaster would not have occurred if the skipper refused to leave port on that final voyage.

And if you'll indulge me a somewhat philosophical point:

Smooth seas do not a skillful mariner make. English proverb

I suspect this guy was rather more a bus driver than a sea captain.
    Had the captain refused to sail that day he likely would have faced dismissal from the corporate bean counters at Ripley Entertainment,.
    They weren't at sea, Cap'n Crunch.
    We have the intellect to imagine the finality of our own demise but do not have the sophistication to overcome our survival instinct and accept it.
    Solution? Magical thinking and childish promises of everlasting life.
    Ergo, religion.

rac·ist
    rāsəst/noun
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
    Ask yourself honestly if this describes what you believe to be true.
    If the answer is yes, you are a racist.

2. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 3,648 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    There are several tour boat outfits here in the UP, and all captains and personnel are Coast Guard trained and certified. They won't go out when Superior is acting frisky. The crappy things here are the kayak rental places. They will rent to rank newbies even on days with 4-5 foot seas. Every summer there are a number of CG rescues of kayakers who've gotten in trouble out on the Lake.
    Unlike Ripley Entertainment, responsible tour boat operators heed the weather service's notifications.
    Boat renters have kayakers sign a waiver of liability. They don't give a shit.
    We have the intellect to imagine the finality of our own demise but do not have the sophistication to overcome our survival instinct and accept it.
    Solution? Magical thinking and childish promises of everlasting life.
    Ergo, religion.

rac·ist
    rāsəst/noun
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
    Ask yourself honestly if this describes what you believe to be true.
    If the answer is yes, you are a racist.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonthecat For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-21-2018)

4. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

"I'm sure" Lc #179
    It is your attitude, not your certitude that is in question.
    "Cap'n Crunch is a hero in his own mind" Lc
    I lay no claim to the title you associate with my quotation.
    But if you prefer the inappropriate formality, you may address me as Captain sear.
    "and thinks he could save an unsafe vessel in hurricane force winds." Lc
    A 5 year old could. Just keep the duck dry. Problem solved.
    "LOL" Lc #179
    Over a dozen dead. And you find that a laughing matter? You're mentally ill. Have you mentioned this to your parole officer?
    "The sinking could have been prevented, Cap'n Crunch, if the corporate greed of the Ducks had been mitigated by a concern for the safety of their passengers." Lc
    Thank you for agreeing with me.
    "They deserve what they will get." Lc
    Let's hope so.

I'm not aware there's been any charge.
    If / when there is, what charge do you predict will be conferred?
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

5. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,410 Times in 53,283 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    Those are real lakes up there.
    Yeah, and you don't mess around with Superior. She took two ppl right off the rocks last October during a gale. The man was found a few weeks later; the woman has never been found. We were down there right before it happened and were appalled that ppl were getting that close, climbing on those slippery rocks with 20-foot waves crashing across them. The wind was so rough you literally could not walk vertically.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Stretch (07-21-2018)

7. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Yeah, and you don't mess around with Superior. She took two ppl right off the rocks last October during a gale. The man was found a few weeks later; the woman has never been found. We were down there right before it happened and were appalled that ppl were getting that close, climbing on those slippery rocks with 20-foot waves crashing across them. The wind was so rough you literally could not walk vertically.

Some people are nuts.
    A beautiful site. That's when I wish I was living in a lighthouse right out in the midst of it.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

9. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

"Had the captain refused to sail that day he likely would have faced dismissal from the corporate bean counters at Ripley Entertainment,." Lc #181 ,.
    Perhaps.
    "Likely" is your probability assessment. I don't know enough about the supervisory structure & personality to know.
    But I know a thing or two about character. And based on that alone I will attest that losing ones own job is better than costing the lives of over a dozen innocent humans. Perhaps some day you will come to that realization as well.
    "They weren't at sea, Cap'n Crunch." Lc
    I'm sure he'll appreciate your notification.

But as you've quoted me, the U.S.' Great Lakes have been referred to as "inland seas" long before I was born. Those that think otherwise have my permission to discuss it with the crew of the Edmond Fitzgerald.

I "googled" "lake superior inland sea" and got pages of hits.

Do you find your comment relevant? Or are you merely a priggish fault-finder grasping at straws to criticize? You think you can lift yourself up by you attempting to put others down?
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sear For This Post:

Stretch (07-21-2018)

11. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Some people are nuts.
    A beautiful site. That's when I wish I was living in a lighthouse right out in the midst of it.
    Used to work at sea. Alaska, off the coast of CA. The gulf. North Sea. Oh it can be awesome alright.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fentoine Lum For This Post:

13. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Some people are nuts.
    Thanks! It's very, very loud. There is an island off the coast here with an old decommissioned lighthouse on it; it's privately owned. When the leaves are down we can see it from here. It still has a strobe beam but no one lives there. I can't imagine how you could sleep when a gale is blowing. We are half a mile from the Lake up on a ridge 255 feet above the Lake and can still hear the surf through the closed windows! The island gets covered with ice during the winter; the ice doesn't melt off till June.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

leaningright (07-21-2018)

15. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thanks! It's very, very loud. There is an island off the coast here with an old decommissioned lighthouse on it; it's privately owned. When the leaves are down we can see it from here. It still has a strobe beam but no one lives there. I can't imagine how you could sleep when a gale is blowing. We are half a mile from the Lake up on a ridge 255 feet above the Lake and can still hear the surf through the closed windows! The island gets covered with ice during the winter; the ice doesn't melt off till June.
    STOP!!!! You're making me want to move up there! LOL
    Not too keen on the ice, but the wind and the waves are a lullaby. When I was a kid I was the the only one in the house that slept through the hurricanes that affected the Miami area. And, I loved being out on the water with my dad when the seas kicked up.

Here's something just for entertainment. #3 is outrageous...Unbelievable that those in the wheelhouse were laughing like crazy (saying "that's f***ing awesome) when that last big one came over the bow.

Last edited by Stretch; 07-21-2018 at 03:37 PM.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

leaningright (07-21-2018), ThatOwlWoman (07-21-2018)

17. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

STOP!!!! You're making me want to move up there! LOL
    Not too keen on the ice, but the wind and the waves are a lullaby. When I was a kid I was the the only one in the house that slept through the hurricanes that affected the Miami area. And, I loved being out on the water with my dad when the seas kicked up.

Here's something just for entertainment. #3 is outrageous...Unbelievable that those in the wheelhouse were laughing like crazy (saying "that's f***ing awesome) when that last big one came over the bow.
    Good grief! That is crazy! Have you ever watched Deadliest Catch? They sometimes show huge waves that crash over the boats; the guys out on the deck just hang on and then get back to hauling. It's a miracle that they don't get swept right off.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

leaningright (07-21-2018), Stretch (07-21-2018)

19. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,634 Times in 10,060 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,101 Times in 1,013 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Branson Mo. Gee i wonder who goes to Branson and what kind of morons go into something like that

The canopy roof on duck boats turned them into a "death trap" even for anyone wearing a life preserver.
    Half of the people that drown were black u stupid POS

So much for your white rednecks crap

20. The Following User Says Thank You to volsrock For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (07-21-2018)

21. #192 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Good grief! That is crazy! Have you ever watched Deadliest Catch? They sometimes show huge waves that crash over the boats; the guys out on the deck just hang on and then get back to hauling. It's a miracle that they don't get swept right off.
    I’ll be honest. As much as I fish and as long as I have operated bassboats going across lakes I’m scared of water. Stretch’s video scares the barjeebers out of me...whatever they are. I watch deadliest catch and while they’re out there running their traps I’m cringing in my recliner. You’re right, it is a miracle they don’t get killed out there.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Stretch (07-21-2018)

23. #193 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I’ll be honest. As much as I fish and as long as I have operated bassboats going across lakes I’m scared of water. Stretch’s video scares the barjeebers out of me...whatever they are. I watch deadliest catch and while they’re out there running their traps I’m cringing in my recliner. You’re right, it is a miracle they don’t get killed out there.
    Any rational hominid would feel that respect. Otherwise I would suggest a few trips on a marine seismic exploration vessel on open oceanic waters. Or fishing boats.

24. #194 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve that show....always pulling for Sig or Wild Bill. Great show.
    pain in abortion.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

26. #195 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve that show....always pulling for Sig or Wild Bill. Great show.
    It is!!!! Glad to find another fan. We've been watching it for years. My boss and I cried -- for real -- when Phil died. I was so hoping his boys would do good. Josh seems to have gotten his act together; Jake's had a lot of trouble with drugs and the law. Remember that whiny little punk Elliott? I always wanted to paste him one. lol

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Stretch (07-21-2018)