Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: America’s Factory Towns, Once Solidly Blue, Are Now a GOP Haven

1. #211 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Yes. That's totally logical. Uncle Toms were black people who sucked up to their white oppressors.
    Economic Uncle Toms are working class people who act against the economic well-being of working class people.
    Before I question your use of the phrase I should ask if you are black or not because that would be different.

2. #212 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    It's such a wide open opportunity for Democrats. But they've become too focused on social issues - those are obviously important, but most vote based on economics.
    I've been saying that to local Democrat operatives who are so caught up in expanding personal liberties that they don't have time or inclination to take bread and butter issues seriously. I was talking to some punk operative on what strategies the Democrats could use to gain rural and working class votes and he was completely dismissive. He was absolutely confident that they don't matter in election calculus. Time will tell but I think he's a fool.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

3. #213 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    Are dems focusing too much on Blacks and other Minorities issues? Exactly what social issues are they focusing on and what do you think they should be doing economically? What exactly would make you, a republican voter, vote for the dems? Please be specific.

Please explain because I don't see the changes in the dems except moving more to the left.
    Abolishing ICE, establishing government-funded heroin dens in major cities, and opening the borders to illegal crossings, for starters.

4. #214 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes. That's totally logical. Uncle Toms were black people who sucked up to their white oppressors.
    Economic Uncle Toms are working class people who act against the economic well-being of working class people.
    All of the people that say they are pro union, but do not belong to one, pay the scale, or hire union labor. Is this correct?

5. #215 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,770 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    All of the people that say they are pro union, but do not belong to one, pay the scale, or hire union labor. Is this correct?
    That's a pretty broad statement and difficult to answer.

I tend to patronize unionized businesses. I've refused to stay in non-union Las Vegas hotels like the Sheldon Adelson's Venetian.

When I ran for union office, I obviously used materials printed with a union bug.

I boycott companies that union leaders request be boycotted for unfair labor practices.

But I can only speak for myself.

6. #216 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's a pretty broad statement and difficult to answer.

I tend to patronize unionized businesses. I've refused to stay in non-union Las Vegas hotels like the Sheldon Adelson's Venetian.

When I ran for union office, I obviously used materials printed with a union bug.

I boycott companies that union leaders request be boycotted for unfair labor practices.

But I can only speak for myself.
    I do not think it is that broad a statement. However thank you for your honesty.

7. #217 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,400 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,397 Times in 6,144 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I do not think it is that broad a statement. However thank you for your honesty.
    Well- you sure were in need of some.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

8. The Following User Groans At moon For This Awful Post:

MAGA MAN (07-20-2018)

9. #218 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    Well- you sure were in need of some.
    Could not agree more. I sure a shit do not get any honesty from you or others on this board.

10. #219 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    that is the majority of his base uneducated white Christians

"In deep-red America, the white Christian god is king, figuratively and literally. Religious fundamentalism has shaped most of their belief systems. Systems built on a fundamentalist framework are not conducive to introspection, questioning, learning, or change. When you have a belief system built on fundamentalism, it isn’t open to outside criticism, especially by anyone not a member of your tribe and in a position of power. The problem isn’t that coastal elites don’t understand rural Americans. The problem is that rural America doesn’t understand itself and will never listen to anyone outside its bubble. It doesn’t matter how “understanding” you are, how well you listen, what language you use…if you are viewed as an outsider, your views will be automatically discounted. I’ve had hundreds of discussions with rural white Americans and whenever I present them any information that contradicts their entrenched beliefs, no matter how sound, how unquestionable, how obvious, they will not even entertain the possibility that it might be true. Their refusal is a result of the nature of their fundamentalist belief system"

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...f=24&t=1421177
    Here you go, Mott... Not over the top evidence, but I offer the above quoted as exhibit B

11. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Sailor (07-20-2018)

12. #220 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

..... economic Uncle Toms--working class people who were fee payers--they had to pay dues because they weren't in a right-to-work (Red) state, but they were against their own union for whatever unfathomable reason and would not actually sign up as members.

These economic Uncle Toms were totally typical of today's Trumpanzees. Racist. Xenophobic. Addled with religious superstitions. Totally ignorant of economics. Certainly not prolific readers. And convincing themselves that they were middle class, not working class, even though they lived off paychecks, not business profits and investment income. Never mind that they lived middle class lifestyles because of their union benefits.

I live in a place where they're in a minority and can't swing elections. Middle America, unfortunately, is different. You're from St. Louis where they consider Clair McCaskill to be a Democrat, even though she gets votes from the same people who voted for Roy Blunt. Now you're in Michigan and you see what's happening there.

America may be going down.
    Exhibit C

13. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Sailor (07-20-2018)

14. #221 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I'm asking if you felt they always held those views even when voting Democratic or did they just now begin to hold those views?
    Your question is seemingly predicated that you agree with me that white male Trump supporters' votes are - in part - a manifestation of racial resentment, xenophobia, and a perceived loss of status for the white male.

On this you and I agree.

To your question: I think whites have been voting throughout this country's history - at least in part - to maintain the existing hierarchy of economic status, power, and privilege. Irrespective of political party and affiliation.

Lower-middle income white males have been voting in large numbers for Republicans since Bedtime For Bonzo's first run in 1980. So, in terms of our generation, in terms of modern and recent American history - the Republican Party is the main political institution in this country that welcomes racists, bigots, and xenophobes either tacitly, or even warmly with open arms.

Just look at who is posting racist threads on this board (aka, Trump supporters). They are not hard to see.

15. #222 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,421 Times in 16,410 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=cawacko;2492700]When you like a posts when someone says that what are you liking? You are agreeing with them correct?[/QUOTE She's not answered your question....I'm just shocked.....

16. #223 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Your question is seemingly predicated that you agree with me that white male Trump supporters' votes are - in part - a manifestation of racial resentment, xenophobia, and a perceived loss of status for the white male.

On this you and I agree.

To your question: I think whites have been voting throughout this country's history - at least in part - to maintain the existing hierarchy of economic status, power, and privilege. Irrespective of political party and affiliation.

Lower-middle income white males have been voting in large numbers for Republicans since Bedtime For Bonzo's first run in 1980. So, in terms of our generation, in terms of modern and recent American history - the Republican Party is the main political institution in this country that welcomes racists, bigots, and xenophobes either tacitly, or even warmly with open arms.
    I'm not going to pretend to know what all these people think when they vote. But if these guys are all racists and they were Democrats for a number of years...

Everyone gets so fixated on how people vote for President as if that's the only vote people cast. Not everyone votes a straight party line ticket in national elections.

The Clintons passed the Defense of Marriage Act in the '90's. Bigotry right? The strongest backers of the Democrats are the black community yet the black community was the biggest supporter against gay marriage. Yet they are clearly welcome in the party. A democrat Congress passed, and Bill Clinton signed, a crime bill that put more blacks in prison than any other legislation. Not exactly progressive. And the "Bernie Bros" were supposedly very sexist during this past primary. So being a Democrat doesn't mean is free of all these qualities.

But you avoided what I was asking which was if these people were former Democrats and you claim they voted for Trump because of racism etc. do they harbor those same beliefs while voting for Democrats previously?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

TOP (07-20-2018)

18. #224 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Originally posted by Leonthecat on another thread

30 obese hillbillies at Branson Mo. could easy exede 5000 pounds. The passenger load was probably more like 7000 pounds.
    D

19. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Sailor (07-20-2018)

20. #225 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Originally posted by Leonthecat on another thread

Not worn.
    Under the seats.
    If obese hillbillies had to wear life jackets Ride The Ducks couldn't fit 31 aboard.
    E

21. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Sailor (07-20-2018)