Thread: America’s Factory Towns, Once Solidly Blue, Are Now a GOP Haven

1. #196 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Yeah, he's a fraud. He's one of these Conservatives like Joe (not his name) the Plumber (not his job); someone who postures in order to make a false self-appeal to authority.

Nothing Conservatives say can be trusted or taken at face value; in my experience, Conservatives always embellish, exaggerate, or fabricate.
    Standing Ovation!

2. The Following User Groans At TTQ64 For This Awful Post:

MAGA MAN (07-20-2018)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-20-2018)

4. #197 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,077 Times in 7,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I don't think they're all idiots; not everyone is gifted academically. That being said, anyone who votes for a party that favors the wealthy over everyone else, that supports the disbanding of trade unions, that is in favor of tariffs -- gets exactly what he voted for: screwed.

Actually, trade unionists always tended to favor protectionism, Owl. I was an executive board member of my Local and a union rep in my office after we organized the accountants and other office workers.

But there have always been economic Uncle Toms--working class people who were fee payers--they had to pay dues because they weren't in a right-to-work (Red) state, but they were against their own union for whatever unfathomable reason and would not actually sign up as members.

I was never a bully or thug in my life, but these people called me a "union thug" because I boxed professionally while in college and looked the part with my broken nose, scar-tissued eyelids, and arthritic hands.

These economic Uncle Toms were totally typical of today's Trumpanzees. Racist. Xenophobic. Addled with religious superstitions. Totally ignorant of economics. Certainly not prolific readers. And convincing themselves that they were middle class, not working class, even though they lived off paychecks, not business profits and investment income. Never mind that they lived middle class lifestyles because of their union benefits.

I live in a place where they're in a minority and can't swing elections. Middle America, unfortunately, is different. You're from St. Louis where they consider Clair McCaskill to be a Democrat, even though she gets votes from the same people who voted for Roy Blunt. Now you're in Michigan and you see what's happening there.

America may be going down.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-20-2018)

6. #198 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    Standing Ovation!
    Do you two always take long, hot showers together?

7. #199 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Do you not get out much?
    I was wondering that myself. Isn't the whole point of trade school to teach people to do things with their hands?

8. #200 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    That could really be said about anyone in 2000 at the bottom of the economic rung. What do you think it is that is preventing them from going to college and making six figures today? (since this would include millions of people there would be more than one answer of course...)
    REPUBLICANS!

They don't like education or paying people a decent wage.

9. #201 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Actually, trade unionists always tended to favor protectionism, Owl. I was an executive board member of my Local and a union rep in my office after we organized the accountants and other office workers.

But there have always been economic Uncle Toms--working class people who were fee payers--they had to pay dues because they weren't in a right-to-work (Red) state, but they were against their own union for whatever unfathomable reason and would not actually sign up as members.

I was never a bully or thug in my life, but these people called me a "union thug" because I boxed professionally while in college and looked the part with my broken nose, scar-tissued eyelids, and arthritic hands.

These economic Uncle Toms were totally typical of today's Trumpanzees. Racist. Xenophobic. Addled with religious superstitions. Totally ignorant of economics. Certainly not prolific readers. And convincing themselves that they were middle class, not working class, even though they lived off paychecks, not business profits and investment income. Never mind that they lived middle class lifestyles because of their union benefits.

I live in a place where they're in a minority and can't swing elections. Middle America, unfortunately, is different. You're from St. Louis where they consider Clair McCaskill to be a Democrat, even though she gets votes from the same people who voted for Roy Blunt. Now you're in Michigan and you see what's happening there.

America may be going down.
    you're calling others racist while using the term Uncle Tom?

10. #202 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

I was wondering that myself. Isn't the whole point of trade school to teach people to do things with their hands?
    And available new technology to improve efficiency. It is really easy to tell the folks on this board that actually work and the ones that are obviously still relying on their aging parents as adults.

11. #203 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Clinton was the more popular candidate, true or false?
    Yes, If you do the calculus ... you'll see that is was about how her
    husband made his agenda all about fellatio ergo, she ran on the flip side of the same agenda

So of course she was popular.

Now tell me YOU DON'T CARE

12. #204 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,705 Times in 27,340 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

We these lower income white males holding racial resentment, bigotry, xenophobia and misogyny views all the years they were voting Democratic in your opinion? Or did it just come about now for them?
    I understand it is more appealing to Republican partisans to assume that lower-middle income white males voted Trump because the Republicans have always been such big supporters of labor and worker rights - rather than considering the alternative.

Research Finds That Racism, Sexism, and Status Fears Drove Trump Voters

https://psmag.com/news/research-find...e-trump-voters

13. #205 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,077 Times in 7,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

you're calling others racist while using the term Uncle Tom?
    Yes. That's totally logical. Uncle Toms were black people who sucked up to their white oppressors.
    Economic Uncle Toms are working class people who act against the economic well-being of working class people.

14. #206 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

When TTQ64 called me a racist and said I should leave the country and you liked the post. Two days ago LV called me a Russian Traitor and you liked his post. What exactly are you liking in those posts if it's not what you believe?

I live in your head. ..................tee hee hee

15. #207 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    And available new technology to improve efficiency. It is really easy to tell the folks on this board that actually work and the ones that are obviously still relying on their aging parents as adults.
    I was thinking that in my head but should have written it about the technology. But don't many trade jobs include use of your hands? Was thinking carpentry, roofing etc. Those roles won't get automated (at least I don't think)

16. #208 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    It's such a wide open opportunity for Democrats. But they've become too focused on social issues - those are obviously important, but most vote based on economics.
    Are dems focusing too much on Blacks and other Minorities issues? Exactly what social issues are they focusing on and what do you think they should be doing economically? What exactly would make you, a republican voter, vote for the dems? Please be specific.

Please explain because I don't see the changes in the dems except moving more to the left.

17. #209 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

I was thinking that in my head but should have written it about the technology. But don't many trade jobs include use of your hands? Was thinking carpentry, roofing etc. Those roles won't get automated (at least I don't think)
    They all do. Everyone of them.

18. #210 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I understand it is more appealing to Republican partisans to assume that lower-middle income white males voted Trump because the Republicans have always been such big supporters of labor and worker rights - rather than considering the alternative.
    I'm asking if you felt they always held those views even when voting Democratic or did they just now begin to hold those views?