Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: America’s Factory Towns, Once Solidly Blue, Are Now a GOP Haven

1. #166 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    You know i've got to stop you right at the beginning. No one...not one decent person I know of, including Hilary Clinton, has referred to working class blue collar workers as "deplorables". Who they did call deplorables, the alt-right, white supremicist, white nationalist, bigots were the ones who were called deplorables because quite frankly they are deplorable people.
    How many times have you seen people on this board call anyone who voted for Trump uneducated and a racist and say they should leave the country?

2. #167 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    Actually you are a fvcktard, but that's been you're own doing.

3. #168 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    Dems really let this group slip away. They have become somewhat of a coastal party, at least in their public rhetoric.

Hillary in particular did not speak to the concerns of basic working Americans in her campaign. I didn't really understand it. I personally think GOP policies, and specifically Trump's tax plan, are terrible for most working Americans - but Republicans are winning over these voters in spite of that, and that's because Dems have been asleep at the wheel.

Another reason Bernie probably would have won. That was basically all that he talked about.
    That's because under Trump Republicans are actually doing something for blue collar workers (to soon to know if what they are doing is going to work but at least they are doing it.). Democrats, instead of presenting their own ideas, are taking the risky approach that when all of Trumps acts come tumbling down in failure then blue collar workers will come running to them.

It's an idiotic strategy as #1. Trump's actions may not fail and #2. You're not going to attract voters on the basis of you're not as incompetent as they are.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

4. #169 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    How many times have you seen people on this board call anyone who voted for Trump uneducated and a racist and say they should leave the country?
    Far, far, far fewer than the people who called me a traitor for opposing the immoral war in Iraq.

Let's see a show of hands. Anyone who thinks blue collar workers are deplorable people, please thank this post.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

5. #170 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

That's because under Trump Republicans are actually doing something for blue collar workers (to soon to know if what they are doing is going to work but at least they are doing it.). Democrats, instead of presenting their own ideas, are taking the risky approach that when all of Trumps acts come tumbling down in failure then blue collar workers will come running to them.

It's an idiotic strategy as #1. Trump's actions may not fail and #2. You're not going to attract voters on the basis of you're not as incompetent as they are.
    It's such a wide open opportunity for Democrats. But they've become too focused on social issues - those are obviously important, but most vote based on economics.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (07-20-2018)

7. #171 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

You know i've got to stop you right at the beginning. No one...not one decent person I know of, including Hilary Clinton, has referred to working class blue collar workers as "deplorables". Who they did call deplorables, the alt-right, white supremicist, white nationalist, bigots were the ones who were called deplorables because quite frankly they are deplorable people.
    are you sure you checked all the baskets she mentioned? there were quite a few

8. #172 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

9. #173 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Mott,

You know I always like to take the altruistic approach.

But occasionally I have these dark thoughts.

There is a shallow side of me that yearns to see a protestor holding a sign which reads: "Make Deplorables Deportable."

Of course, that is shallow thinking.

As if you could just leave your baggage by the side of the road instead of dealing with it.

Shallow, along the lines of: "America, Love It Or Leave It."

'Nation,' (as Colbert would say,) we have issues to deal with.

Race relations would be a good start. Which would involve so much else that by the time you got done America would -truly- be great.

Ironically, it would be true for all, including the ones who think that means only what the right espouses.

Because really, great would have to be great for all or it wouldn't be great.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

10. #174 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,342 Times in 53,241 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

When TTQ64 called me a racist and said I should leave the country and you liked the post. Two days ago LV called me a Russian Traitor and you liked his post. What exactly are you liking in those posts if it's not what you believe?
    Did I make the statements? Yes or no.

11. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

MAGA MAN (07-20-2018)

12. #175 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

I hate to keep repeating myself but working class Americans who vote republican are voting against their own jobs and values. The republican party is fake pro-military, fake- pro life, fake working class, fake free market, fake constitution, fake fair taxes, fake Christian and lots more fakery. There may be a few who aren't fake? But it doesn't matter because it is what they do that matters, and what they do is support elites and corporations over people. Their work is well documented in the books quoted below. See quotes too. Working class Americans hurt themselves over issues that while important are used as sticks and not policies. One has to wonder will they ever figure out they are being played?

"Asylum seekers arrested. Families separated. An order to reunite them, only to find that many of them can’t be matched up. And while we were fixated on that (and rightly so) a bill to gut Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, to “balance the budget” barely six months after a huge corporate tax cut."
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/johnbec...ere-lying.html

'The View From Flyover Country: Essays by Sarah Kendzior
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...lyover-country

'Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right' Arlie Russell Hochschild
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...their-own-land

'Invisible Hands: The Making of the Conservative Movement from the New Deal to Reagan' Kim Phillips-Fein
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nvisible-hands

Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right' Jane Mayer
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27833494-dark-money

'The Left Behind: Decline and Rage in Rural America' Robert Wuthnow
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...he-left-behind

"America — with its decaying infrastructure, its third-world public transit, its shrinking labor market, its evaporating middle class, its expanding gulf between rich and poor, its heartless health insurance system, its mindless indifference to a dying ecology, its predatory credit agencies, its looming Social Security collapse, its interminable war, its metastasizing national debt and all the social pathologies that gave it a degenerate imbecile and child-abducting sadist as its president — remains the only developed economy in the world that believes it wrong to use civic wealth for civic goods. Its absurdly engorged military budget diverts hundreds of billions of dollars a year from the public weal to those who profit from the military-industrial complex. Its plutocratic policies and libertarian ethos are immune to all appeals of human solidarity. It towers over the world, but promises secure shelter only to the fortunate few." David Bentley Hart

"As a student of history, I recognize this type. He emerges everywhere and in all eras. We see nurtured in his campaign an incipient Proto-fascism, a nativist anti-immigrant Know Nothing-ism, a disrespect for the judiciary, the prospect of women losing authority over their own bodies, African Americans again asked to go to the back of the line, voter suppression gleefully promoted, jingoistic saber rattling, a total lack of historical awareness, a political paranoia that, predictably, points fingers, always making the other wrong. These are all virulent strains that have at times infected us in the past. But they now loom in front of us again—all happening at once. We know from our history books that these are the diseases of ancient and now fallen empires. The sense of commonwealth, of shared sacrifice, of trust, so much a part of American life, is eroding fast, spurred along and amplified by an amoral Internet that permits a lie to circle the globe three times before the truth can get started." Ken Burns
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ken-bu..._10430204.html

"The trick never ages; the illusion never wears off. Vote to stop abortion; receive a rollback in capital gains taxes. Vote to make our country strong again; receive deindustrialization. Vote to screw those politically correct college professors; receive electricity deregulation. Vote to get government off our backs; receive conglomeration and monopoly everywhere from media to meatpacking. Vote to stand tall against terrorists; receive Social Security privatization. Vote to strike a blow against elitism; receive a social order in which wealth is more concentrated than ever before in our lifetimes, in which workers have been stripped of power and CEOs are rewarded in a manner beyond imagining." Thomas Frank, What's the Matter With Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

13. The Following User Groans At midcan5 For This Awful Post:

MAGA MAN (07-20-2018)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-20-2018)

15. #176 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Did I make the statements? Yes or no.
    When you like a posts when someone says that what are you liking? You are agreeing with them correct?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

TOP (07-20-2018)

17. #177 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Far, far, far fewer than the people who called me a traitor for opposing the immoral war in Iraq.

Let's see a show of hands. Anyone who thinks blue collar workers are deplorable people, please thank this post.
    This person probably won’t but here’s a previous post I took issue with:

Originally poster by LV426
    Yes, they once consisted of the middle class, but they don't anymore. Most of these "blue collar" whites are just poor white trash subsidized by government welfare, who work in dying industries, and are easily replaced by robots.

What does it say about you that a robot could replace you and no one would know the difference?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (07-20-2018)

19. #178 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    This person probably won’t but here’s a previous post I took issue with:
    You shouldn't be surprised. That is what the 'rat party has become.

20. #179 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Really good article on the changing of the parties. I know as an ardent free trader my views were once dominant in the GOP but not anymore. Folks in the Democratic Party used to speak to the working man and little guy and now many of those people are referred to as deplorables and uneducated.

America’s Factory Towns, Once Solidly Blue, Are Now a GOP Haven

A generation ago, Democrats represented much of the country’s manufacturing base. Now, it’s in GOP hands, a swing remaking both parties

The Republican Party has become the party of blue-collar America.

After the 1992 election, 15 of the 20 most manufacturing-intensive Congressional districts in America were represented by Democrats. Today, all 20 are held by Republicans.

The shift of manufacturing from a Democratic stronghold to a Republican one is a major force remaking the two parties. It helps explain Donald Trump’s political success, the rise of Republican protectionism and the nation’s polarized politics. It will help shape this year’s midterm elections.

South Carolina’s Third Congressional district, on the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains, epitomizes the swing from blue to red.

In 1992, the district was dotted with textile mills and was represented by a Democrat, Butler Derrick, as it had been for the prior 17 years. He backed gun control, got along with unions and voted for a 1986 law granting citizenship to millions of illegal immigrants.

The district has since become an auto-parts and plastics manufacturing center. Then and now it was among the 20 districts in the nation with the highest concentration of workers in the manufacturing sector, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of census data.

Today, the district is represented by a Republican, Jeff Duncan. He has compared illegal immigrants to “any kind of vagrant or animal,” gets a 5% rating by the AFL-CIO and derides the World Trade Organization as a “globalist organization” with too much power.

“We’re in servitude” to Chinese bond buyers and other creditors, he told a constituent during a teleconference with voters in May.

The Republican Party didn’t have a grand strategy to capture manufacturing. It happened over time as the economy and party changed.

Many counties that leaned toward Democrats lost so many factory jobs during the past 25 years that they ceased being manufacturing centers.

As the U.S. factory workforce diminished in size—from 15.4% of the U.S. workforce in 1992 to 8.5% today—it moved out of big cities that were union strongholds and into blue-collar suburbs.

The Northeast and New England, strongholds for Democrats, largely disappeared from the map of manufacturing-intensive counties, according to an analysis for the Journal by the Brookings Institution’s metropolitan policy program. There are no manufacturing-intensive counties any longer in Massachusetts or Connecticut.

Pittsburgh, another Democratic bastion, shed its Steel City heritage and became a university and health-care center. Manufacturing jobs declined by 37,000 in the metropolitan area since 1992, while the number of service-industries employees increased by 168,000.

New heartland

The new manufacturing heartland runs through areas outside suburbs along interstate highways south from Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin through Ohio and into the Carolinas and the deep South.

There, whites without a college education, who identified with the Republican Party’s focus on social issues and abortion restrictions, took up many of the factory jobs. The Trump administration’s tough stance on trade deepened the bonds with workers who believed they were hurt by free-trade deals.

“Manufacturing moved to where the Republican Party has been building strength,” says Jonathan Rodden, a Stanford University political scientist, who studies the geography of political change.

Other manufacturing areas have flipped to vote for Republicans. In 1992, there were 860 counties where at least 25% of the working population was employed in manufacturing. Democrat Bill Clinton won 49% of those counties. By 2016, manufacturers employed at least a quarter of the workforce in only 320 counties. Ninety-five percent of them went for Donald Trump.

In Wisconsin, five manufacturing-intensive counties in the northwest of the state have flipped from Democrats to Republicans since 1992. Three of those counties went for Mr. Trump in 2016 by margins of more than 25 percentage points.

Labor unions, which have long allied with Democrats, now represent just 9% of manufacturing workers, down from 20% in 1992, according to Barry Hirsch, an economist at Georgia State University.

“My image of Republicans is of a blue-collar type,” says Larry Smith, a 68-year-old weave room supervisor at Greenwood Mills Inc. in South Carolina’s third Congressional District. He voted for Democrats before, including Barack Obama in 2008, but sided with Mr. Trump in 2016. “Democrats come from more financially successful groups.”

His boss, Jay Self, says a lot of local voters were turned off to the Democratic Party when Bill Clinton eased the entry of China into the WTO in the late 1990s, which he blames for wrecking the textile business. His family-owned business employed around 3,000 people in the U.S. in 2000, he says. Now that workforce is just 320.

As with many onetime Democratic manufacturing strongholds, social issues played a role in the shift to red from blue. Rep. Derrick supported the 1993 Brady Bill that mandated background checks on firearms purchases. Angry gun owners packed a town hall meeting in Pickens, S.C. He did not run for re-election in 1994.

Rep. Derrick, who died in 2014, was succeeded by a series of Republicans, all of whom took conservative positions on social issues and opposed the free trade deals unpopular in the district. “Down here, the Democrats shifted their attention to career people like in the medical industry, accountant or lawyers,” Clemson University political scientist David Woodard said. But current factory workers, he said, came from “linthead” families, using the local term for textile workers. “They all love Trump.”

The changing allegiances in factory towns have scrambled politics for both Democrats and Republicans.

Voters for Democrats now tend to be better educated, more urban and less likely to identify themselves as blue-collar than Republicans and Independents, according to pollsters

As the economic core of metropolitan areas has changed from manufacturing to services, finance and technology, the party has made little room for the conservative cultural views of many blue-collar workers and has embraced gay rights and increased immigration. The 2016 Democratic platform, for instance, had 19 mentions of rights for LGBT people. The 1992 platform had a single mention of the word “gay.”

While House Democrats overwhelmingly oppose free-trade deals, their voters don’t. By 57% to 16%, Democrats said that free trade helped the U.S., according to a February 2017 Wall Street Journal/NBC poll, the last one to address this issue.

Republicans, meanwhile, have become more attuned to the desires of manufacturers and their workers. They have led a crackdown on immigration, moved away from plans to privatize Social Security and support some infrastructure spending. Most notably, the party has retreated from free trade.

In 1992, the Republican Party platform declared the GOP the party of “tough free traders” who pushed an expansive “free trade agenda.” In 2016, reflecting Mr. Trump’s presidential candidacy, the platform said instead that the U.S. needed “better negotiated trade agreements that put America first.” The platform coupled “free trade” with “fair trade,” a term that Rust Belt Democrats have long used.

In December 1999, the earliest that The Wall Street Journal/NBC polled on trade issues, Republicans by 37% to 31% said that free trade deals helped the U.S. By February 2017, the results were vastly different. By 53% to 27%, Republicans said free trade hurt the U.S.

Republicans need to hold on to their manufacturing base to retain control of Congress.

The Democrats need to pick up 23 seats to take control of the House of Representatives. About 50 Congressional districts rated competitive by political analysts have manufacturing workforces higher than the national average. In the Senate, Democrats need to add two seats, and many big manufacturing states have Senate races this fall, including the states that won Mr. Trump the White House—Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

If President Trump’s aggressive trade policy toward China, the European Union and elsewhere resonates, that could put Republicans over the top in these places. If his tariffs—and retaliation—damage local economies, the GOP could find its blue-collar base in a surly mood or apathetic about voting.

Congressional districts hit by big increases in imports have moved away from the political center, in either direction, according to David Autor, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology economist who studied how import competition affected political affiliation. What linked groups on the left and right was skepticism of free trade.

Trade deal

These changes are evident in Ohio’s Eighth Congressional district, long a Republican bastion in the Cincinnati suburbs.

In 1992, the district was represented by Republican John Boehner, the former House speaker. He voted for the North American Free Trade Agreement, and helped pave the way for the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a trade deal among the U.S. and 11 Pacific-Rim nations that Mr. Trump pulled out of on his first workday in office.

From 1990, when Mr. Boehner was elected, to 2015, the percentage of the workforce employed in manufacturing in his district declined from 30% to 21%. It moved up in the ranking of manufacturing intensive districts, from No. 27 to No. 12, because the country’s concentration of manufacturing workers declined even more. General Motors Co. closed a nearby factory in 2008 that employed 2,400 people. NCR Corp. moved its headquarters out of the area in 2009.

Seven area golf courses, long establishment Republican strongholds, have closed since 2012. Without the GM plant, “there is no middle-level management that can afford the dues structure anymore,” said Steve Jurick, executive director of the Miami Valley Golf Association.

Mr. Boehner retired in 2015, as the growing power of populist conservatives in the House made his caucus more difficult to manage. His successor is Republican Warren Davidson, a member of the Freedom Caucus that bedeviled Mr. Boehner.

Though he has criticized across-the-board tariffs, he has supported Mr. Trump’s tariffs on Chinese goods. Like Mr. Trump, Mr. Davidson faults the WTO for failing to rein in China, whose imports have battered the district’s many small metal fabrication plants.

At a meeting with local business leaders in May, he likened trade to a basketball game. “They are not calling fouls and no one is taking free throws,” he told the group. “I’m glad President Trump is making them call fouls.”

The message goes over well with factory owners and workers in the district.

“A lot of our workers voted for Trump,” says Neil Douglas, a Democrat who is president of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers in Middletown, Ohio. “The Democrats around here—sometimes we do feel like the party left us.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...013368?mod=mhp
    Couldn't even read past that part from laughing so hard.

What kinda of fuckin fairy land do you people live in?

21. #180 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

What she actually said:
    “You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” she said to applause and laughter. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic — you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/11/u...plorables.html

Now you want us to believe that working class blue collar workers are all in the remaining 50%.