Members banned from this thread: SmarterthanYou, Cancel 2018. 3, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Cancel 2018.2, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, countryboy, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, Mitchthomas20172017, coolzone, rhym3pays and LV426

Thread: Russian Election Interference 2018

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Russian Election Interference 2018

Hello fellow Americans,

Houston, We Have A Problem. Philadelphia, we have a problem. Salt Lake City, we have a problem. USA, we have a problem.

We are under attack. We are under cyber attack from Russia. Russia wants to disrupt our elections, disrupt our democracy. Russia is using hacking and social media to try to rig our elections and bitterly divide us. Russia wants us to be so polarized, so full of hatred for fellow Americans, that we can't get anything done. Russia wants to shut us down, and they are using our own freedoms and weakness for hatred to do it.

Many people do not use Facebook. There is a very real concern that if you put all your personal information out in the public that it can be used against you. Social media is a wonderful thing but it opens you up to a threat. Obviously, if you put your home address out to the public then friends can find you. So can criminals. You don’t want to announce on social media that you are going on vacation. That’s like telling thieves nobody will be home and your house is unoccupied, making it an inviting target.

Social media is wonderful for all the good aspects, but we have to be vigilant that there is a downside. The downside of having social media is that unscrupulous characters can use it against you.

In the case of our nation, foreign actors who wish to hurt us can use social media to further hatred. Americans are highly polarized and divided. That makes it difficult for us to create effective policy. We are going to disagree about policy. When we are hopelessly divided, we have a hard time getting things done. We can’t agree on what should be done. Often we don’t do anything, or we do things which have little effect on problems.

Russia wants us to be bitterly divided.

It works to Russia’s advantage to hurt our democracy.

Russia is using agents to pretend to be Americans on social media, saying things that get people angry. If we are having disagreements on policy, Russia wants us to be completely dysfunctional and unable to create effective policy.

We have to learn to love our fellow Americans, even if they disagree on policy. There is no reason to hate our fellow countrymen. We are all Americans. We need to remain united in our loyalty to the USA and to other Americans. It is OK to disagree, but we need to do it in a calm and respectful way.

"One of the things that [Director of National Intelligence] Dan Coats has said is that we think they will be learning lessons or that they have learned lessons. And we think that they’re adopting those as they’re looking at new ways to divide Americans.

So some of the things that we seen is them weighing in on things like the NFL protests, whether it was, you know, good or bad, appropriate or not for NFL players to be taking a knee during the national anthem. We saw accounts on Twitter that have now been identified as ones that were created by the Internet Research Agency, but were pretending to be Americans, accounts that had tens of thousands of followers, weighing in on both sides of that issue.

We have seen social media accounts that we now know were operated by the Internet Research Agency in Saint Petersburg weighing in on issues like the MeToo movement. We have seen them weighing in on things like Roseanne Barr’s racist comments.

So we see these kinds of activities basically trying to stoke tensions within America."

PBS Newshour
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

LV426 (07-19-2018), ThatOwlWoman (07-19-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Now that the brazen act of betrayal has subsided...

It's time for Trump to return to his normal routine of tearing down the media, the real enemy of the people. Also, it is safe again for him to talk about the "witch hunt".

Everything is temporary with the idiot poseur. He may have been praising Putin and vilifying America at the first of this week, but that was all in the past. The past is prologue.

We now return to your regular scheduled programming.

When All Else Fails .... Blame Barack Obama ...
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

Jack (07-19-2018), ThatOwlWoman (07-19-2018)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Russia wants us to be bitterly divided.
    well we are certainly accommodating them

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Bourbon (07-19-2018), Jack (07-19-2018), PoliTalker (07-19-2018)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dividing America into political tribes is working. The Russians (and others) are being successful. Why would they stop?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Bourbon (07-19-2018), PoliTalker (07-19-2018)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Dividing America into political tribes is working. The Russians (and others) are being successful. Why would they stop?
    I do not think da Russians did it.. I think we do a bang up job all by ourselves

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Stretch (07-20-2018)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It is preferable that if we disagree with someone that we do not call them names. That is the dividing point between respect and disrespect. Not only should we not openly call names, which is a useless meaningless waste of time, we should not even think of them like that. It's hard to not voice what you are thinking. So we have to change the way we look at one another. It is OK to disagree. But we have to disagree, with love. We have to let people be themselves, and let them disagree with us. Calling them names is not going to change their mind. All that is going to do is further divide us, make it impossible to have rational discourse, and cause us to be highly polarized.

Name-calling must end.

And we shouldn't even think of people like that.

We need to realize that we are talking to fellow Americans.

Fathers. Mothers. Sisters. Brothers. Neighbors. Leaders. Workers. Tax Payers.

People who make this country function. Good people.

When we allow ourselves to indulge in disrespect for others, we are not only disrespecting them, but we are disrespecting ourselves and our country.

And we are playing right into Putin's hands, helping Russia.

This is what we can do to be good Americans in 2018: We can be good to other Americans.
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 07-20-2018 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typos and punctuation
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

anatta (07-19-2018)

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's interesting how many of my left-leaning FB friends are reporting seeing the same thing we've seen here this week. Their (R) friends are mostly loudly defending Trump's treasonous behavior in Helsinki, and his boorish behavior elsewhere. "Fake news," "actions not words," "Russia-phobia," etc. Exactly the same phrasing we have seen here from our special Reichwing friends. It's almost as if they are all reading from the same bible, isn't it? But oh no, they're all "independent thinkers" and not "sheeple" like the lefties.

Hahahahahahahaha!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Jack (07-19-2018), LV426 (07-19-2018), Tranquillus in Exile (07-19-2018)

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Jack,

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    They won't stop.

And it is OK for us to take sides, be divided into political tribes.

We just need to remember the big picture, remember that, though we may be in disagreement about policy, even facts, we are all Americans. We deserve to respect ourselves and respect one another.

16. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello noise,

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I do not think da Russians did it.. I think we do a bang up job all by ourselves
    And that is perfectly OK.

How we do it is the problem.

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    That's the PROBLEM. We don't realize we are being 'played'.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-19-2018)

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    It's interesting how many of my left-leaning FB friends are reporting seeing the same thing we've seen here this week. Their (R) friends are mostly loudly defending Trump's treasonous behavior in Helsinki, and his boorish behavior elsewhere. "Fake news," "actions not words," "Russia-phobia," etc. Exactly the same phrasing we have seen here from our special Reichwing friends. It's almost as if they are all reading from the same bible, isn't it? But oh no, they're all "independent thinkers" and not "sheeple" like the lefties.

Hahahahahahahaha!
    We should try to avoid using derogatory terms for those we disagree with. It is better to focus on arguing facts and policy.

One of the big differences between the left and right in the USA is that we don't even agree on the facts.

I think that is a diabolical strategy of the right. The right knows that if we agree on the same facts that their policy makes no sense. So they simply argue that reality is not reality. This effect seems to have emerged since the climate change argument became a left-right issue. (it wasn't always that way.)

This has now boiled down to the effect where many on the right don't even believe the news, call it fake news.

We need to calmly argue that the news is the news and we have to believe (with verification) most of the main stream news. The news is real. It may have spin, yes. But the facts are the facts.

The right is so out of good arguments that they simply deny the facts.

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Jack,

They won't stop.

And it is OK for us to take sides, be divided into political tribes.

We just need to remember the big picture, remember that, though we may be in disagreement about policy, even facts, we are all Americans. We deserve to respect ourselves and respect one another.

I'm perfectly fine with taking the Right/Correct Side of this Issue.

History will prove that Trump is a Traitor and those who were Silent or Followed are also.

There's NO GRAY AREA

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bourbon,

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
    I'm perfectly fine with taking the Right/Correct Side of this Issue.

History will prove that Trump is a Traitor and those who were Silent or Followed are also.

There's NO GRAY AREA
    So you're on the right, but opposed to Trump.

You have my admiration.

It would be good for our nation if more of you would speak up in a positive way.

We have too many on the right who are willing to overlook Trump. That's bad.

If you stand for principle, that should not include name-calling or other dirty tactics which would reduce you to Trump's level, correct?

If you have the better argument, that argument should stand on it's own merit.

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Bourbon,

So you're on the right, but opposed to Trump.

You have my admiration.

It would be good for our nation if more of you would speak up in a positive way.

We have too many on the right who are willing to overlook Trump. That's bad.

If you stand for principle, that should not include name-calling or other dirty tactics which would reduce you to Trump's level, correct?

If you have the better argument, that argument should stand on it's own merit.

NO ... I'm on the "right" side of the issue ...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

LV426 (07-19-2018)

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bourbon,

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
    NO ... I'm on the "right" side of the issue ...
    I'm sorry I got that wrong. I agree. I believe you are on the morally correct side. Please pardon me. I always try to own up to my mistakes. That helps me learn from them when I make them.