Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama slams populist 'right-wing billionaires,' touts 'universal income

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Default Obama slams populist 'right-wing billionaires,' touts 'universal income

Former President Barack Obama, in a rare post-presidency speech abroad, took several thinly veiled shots at his successor and other populist “right-wing billionaires” -- while openly touting a controversial liberal push for "universal income."

In one of his biggest speeches since leaving the White House, Obama delivered the 2018 Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture in Johannesburg, South Africa on Tuesday. He used the platform to rail against populist movements, which have gained strength in the U.S. and Europe.

“Given the strange and uncertain times we are in—and they are strange, and they are uncertain—with each day’s news cycles bringing more head spinning and disturbing headlines, I thought maybe it would be useful to step back for a moment and try to get some perspective,” Obama began.

Obama went on to slam the “right-wing billionaires" leading populist movements, in a clear reference to President Trump and like-minded politicians in Europe.

“Populist movements, cynically funded by right-wing billionaires worried about their own interests,” Obama said. “These movements tapped the unease that was felt by so many people who live outside of urban course. That their social status and privileges were eroding … threatened by outsiders, those who don’t look like them or sound like them.”

Obama added that the “politics of fear and resentment and retrenchment” have begun to “appear.”

“I’m not being alarmist. I’m simply stating the facts. Look around—strongman politics are ascendant, suddenly, whereby elections and some pretense of democracy are maintained, the form of it, where those in power seek to undermine every institution or norm that gives democracy meaning,” he said.

Obama also blasted what he described as “barely hidden racial nationalism.”

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-18-2018), Truth Detector (07-17-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,702 Times in 27,337 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Obama, meanwhile, on Tuesday seemed to embrace some talking points of the resurgent progressive left -- including opening the door to proposals for a guaranteed income. One such proposal is being considered in Chicago.

"It's not just money a job provides," Obama said. "It provides dignity and structure and a sense of place and a sense of purpose. So we're going to have to consider new ways of thinking about these problems, like a universal income, review of our work week, how we retrain our young people, how we make everybody an entrepreneur at some level. But we're going have to worry about economics if we want to get democracy back on track."

Obama also called on the wealthy, like him, to do their part.

"I am surprised at how much money I've got. I don't have half as much as these others, but there's only so much you can eat, only so many nice trips you can take," Obama said, met by applause. "I mean, it's enough. You don't have to take a vow of poverty to say let me help others out. I'll pay a little more in taxes. It's okay, I can afford it."

Obama touched on the heated immigration debate, and acknowledged that “natural borders matter.”

“Laws need to be followed. Newcomers should adapt to customs of their new home. But that can’t be an excuse for immigration policies based on race or religion,” Obama said. “We can enforce law while respecting humanity of those seeking a better life.”
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...al-income.html

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-18-2018), Stretch (07-17-2018)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    noise usually posts more from a site , then provides a link. Usually. At least that's his pattern. Give it a chance.

Edt: And there you have it^

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2018.1 For This Post:

Truth Detector (07-18-2018)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

“These movements tapped the unease that was felt by so many people who live outside of urban course. That their social status and privileges were eroding … threatened by outsiders, those who don’t look like them or sound like them.”
    straight out of the guns and bible playbook.. Obama doesn't get anyone but urban Dems

including opening the door to proposals for a guaranteed income. One such proposal is being considered in Chicago.

"It's not just money a job provides," Obama said. "It provides dignity and structure and a sense of place and a sense of purpose. So we're going to have to consider new ways of thinking about these problems, like a universal income,
    Dems don't want the pursuit of happiness -they want da gummint to guarantee it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Stretch (07-17-2018)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

Obama delivered the 2018 Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture in Johannesburg, South Africa on Tuesday.
    ‘A matter of life & death’: 15,000 white South African farmers seek refuge in Russia, report says
    https://www.rt.com/business/432375-r...frica-farmers/
    Looks like Putin is doing his part.

11. The Following User Groans At Cancel 2018.1 For This Awful Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (07-17-2018)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2018.1 For This Post:

dukkha (07-17-2018), Stretch (07-17-2018)

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

“Laws need to be followed. Newcomers should adapt to customs of their new home. But that can’t be an excuse for immigration policies based on race or religion,” Obama said. “We can enforce law while respecting humanity of those seeking a better life.”
    sounds great -less filling when examined.

He's referring to the 'Muslim travel ban' ( even though he had the same ban)

Obama touched on the heated immigration debate, and acknowledged that “natural borders matter.”
    ..natural borders WTF is that?
    Yes the Rio Grande is a natural border-but the reason we stop migrants there is because it's a legal border.

I guess that is a blandishment thrown in for the open borders crowd ..

WOW.. Hillary was headed even more radical left.. America First

14. The Following 2 Users Groan At dukkha For This Awful Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (07-17-2018), Rune (07-20-2018)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Stretch (07-17-2018)

16. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    straight out of the guns and bible playbook.. Obama doesn't get anyone but urban Dems

Dems don't want the pursuit of happiness -they want da gummint to guarantee it
    Blacks. Just be a man and say it.

17. The Following User Groans At TTQ64 For This Awful Post:

PostmodernProphet (07-18-2018)

18. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Obama, meanwhile, on Tuesday seemed to embrace some talking points of the resurgent progressive left -- including opening the door to proposals for a guaranteed income. One such proposal is being considered in Chicago.

"It's not just money a job provides," Obama said. "It provides dignity and structure and a sense of place and a sense of purpose. So we're going to have to consider new ways of thinking about these problems, like a universal income, review of our work week, how we retrain our young people, how we make everybody an entrepreneur at some level. But we're going have to worry about economics if we want to get democracy back on track."

Obama also called on the wealthy, like him, to do their part.

"I am surprised at how much money I've got. I don't have half as much as these others, but there's only so much you can eat, only so many nice trips you can take," Obama said, met by applause. "I mean, it's enough. You don't have to take a vow of poverty to say let me help others out. I'll pay a little more in taxes. It's okay, I can afford it."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...al-income.html
    Good thing our unemployment is down...MAGA Trump!

Does Obama think this a big new concept or something??? "Laws need to be followed. Newcomers should adapt to customs of their new home. But that can’t be an excuse for immigration policies based on race or religion." well, dohhhh.

It's called capitalism. It's called a Republic. Get a job, pay your way as a responsible citizen, obey the law, etc. What an empty-headed snobby fool...as if this is some new brainiac idea. Get a job and one is guaranteed a paycheck, that's about it. Not enough? Get a 2nd job, too.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

19. The Following 2 Users Groan At Stretch For This Awful Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (07-17-2018), Rune (07-20-2018)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

Truth Detector (07-18-2018)

21. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Good thing our unemployment is down...MAGA Trump!

Does Obama think this a big new concept or something??? "Laws need to be followed. Newcomers should adapt to customs of their new home. But that can’t be an excuse for immigration policies based on race or religion." well, dohhhh.

It's called capitalism. It's called a Republic. Get a job, pay your way as a responsible citizen, obey the law, etc. What an empty-headed snobby fool...as if this is some new brainiac idea. Get a job and one is guaranteed a paycheck, that's about it. Not enough? Get a 2nd job, too.
    Exactly. End of story.

22. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,243 Times in 13,968 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Exactly. End of story.
    Unemployment was down when Trump took office, and the economy was trending upward, amazing conservatives have such a hard time accepting these facts

23. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

christiefan915 (07-19-2018)

24. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,243 Times in 13,968 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Former President Barack Obama, in a rare post-presidency speech abroad, took several thinly veiled shots at his successor and other populist “right-wing billionaires” -- while openly touting a controversial liberal push for "universal income."

In one of his biggest speeches since leaving the White House, Obama delivered the 2018 Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture in Johannesburg, South Africa on Tuesday. He used the platform to rail against populist movements, which have gained strength in the U.S. and Europe.

“Given the strange and uncertain times we are in—and they are strange, and they are uncertain—with each day’s news cycles bringing more head spinning and disturbing headlines, I thought maybe it would be useful to step back for a moment and try to get some perspective,” Obama began.

Obama went on to slam the “right-wing billionaires" leading populist movements, in a clear reference to President Trump and like-minded politicians in Europe.

“Populist movements, cynically funded by right-wing billionaires worried about their own interests,” Obama said. “These movements tapped the unease that was felt by so many people who live outside of urban course. That their social status and privileges were eroding … threatened by outsiders, those who don’t look like them or sound like them.”

Obama added that the “politics of fear and resentment and retrenchment” have begun to “appear.”

“I’m not being alarmist. I’m simply stating the facts. Look around—strongman politics are ascendant, suddenly, whereby elections and some pretense of democracy are maintained, the form of it, where those in power seek to undermine every institution or norm that gives democracy meaning,” he said.

Obama also blasted what he described as “barely hidden racial nationalism.”
    He's correct, did you really think Trump was a good ole boy from Alabama?

25. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Unemployment was down when Trump took office, and the economy was trending upward, amazing conservatives have such a hard time accepting these facts
    And that has exactly what to do with what Stretch said? However, while we are on this subject, care to explain the freeing up of capital for regular businesses once Obama was gone?

26. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

sounds great -less filling when examined.

He's referring to the 'Muslim travel ban' ( even though he had the same ban)

..natural borders WTF is that?
    Yes the Rio Grande is a natural border-but the reason we stop migrants there is because it's a legal border.

I guess that is a blandishment thrown in for the open borders crowd ..

WOW.. Hillary was headed even more radical left.. America First
    Why don't you take an extra dose of fent before going to be tonight old man? Then you won't have to worry about this stuff or the neo-fascist movement you're clinging too desperately.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

27. The Following User Says Thank You to FUCK THE POLICE For This Post:

Rune (07-20-2018)

28. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Exactly. End of story.
    Why don't you too old fucks jerk each other off some more?
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34