Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: San Fran mayor demands taxpayers provide "safe injection sites" for druggies

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 4,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    When they get Hep or HIV and their organs get affected, they qualify for disability and will support their habit off taxpayer money anyway, so I guess helping string them along helps the public sort of.
    I think they tightened up on this practice but being an alcoholic or drug addict was classified as a disability and they qualified for SSI. They were supposed to be in treatment but this was never enforced so they spent their disability money on drugs and alcohol. If they were homeless the checks were sent to a local bar where they doled it out to recipients in drinks.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I think they tightened up on this practice but being an alcoholic or drug addict was classified as a disability and they qualified for SSI. They were supposed to be in treatment but this was never enforced so they spent their disability money on drugs and alcohol. If they were homeless the checks were sent to a local bar where they doled it out to recipients in drinks.
    When you have a chronic addiction issue, it invariably causes health consequences that eventually qualify one for disability based on the effects of the abuse. You don't get it for being a drunk, you get it for having a pickled liver for instance. In my city there are an awful lot of "disabled" people running about and partying like madmen when the money shows up on the 3rd or whatever day is their payday. A lot of them buddy up based on when their checks arrive so a first weeker and a third weeker keep each other going all month because they otherwise are crap at managing their money enough to keep the party going all month on their own check.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,771 Times in 7,272 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Giving every addict free drugs would be cheaper and more effective than the war on drugs, would reduce crime significantly, and would put the drug lords out of business.

The natural drugs like opium, opium derivations, and cocaine would be almost as cheap as flour if they weren't illegal. They're just easy to grow plants.

There might be more overdose deaths due to natural selection, but there would also be a lot fewer murders. Good tradeoff in my view.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,210 Times in 3,431 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,204 Times in 1,881 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TrippyHippy View Post

Alternative solution: I think we should look into decriminalization as a means to make drug use safer, prohibition is the single biggest risk factor in drugs. Bringing drugs out of the black market and into the hands of a well regulated state-run dispensary would result in safer, less potent drugs. These dispensaries could set limits on how much can be bought at one time and would also prevent lacing with other drugs like carfentanil. Thus reducing the need for a safe injection site at all because there will be less overdoses. The money these dispensaries generate could help the community, going to build schools, pave roads, clean up our cities, help the homeless. This is a harm reduction tactic that would actually put more money back in taxpayers' pockets rather than out of it, as well as fighting gang violence and cartels by taking away their biggest profit ventures.
    HAHAHA. Another liberal telling us more govt is the answer even though govt can't do anything right.
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,210 Times in 3,431 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,204 Times in 1,881 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Giving every addict free drugs would be cheaper and more effective than the war on drugs, would reduce crime significantly, and would put the drug lords out of business.
    then everyone would be a druggie. THINK
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,608 Times in 9,279 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hvilleherb View Post
    Democrats are waving the white flag of surrender in the war on drugs.
    Hey Nixon the War on Drugs was lost day 1

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mason Michaels For This Post:

Fentoine Lum (07-16-2018), TrippyHippy (07-16-2018)

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post

The natural drugs like opium, opium derivations, and cocaine would be almost as cheap as flour if they weren't illegal. They're just easy to grow plants.

There might be more overdose deaths due to natural selection, but there would also be a lot fewer murders. Good tradeoff in my view.
    Excellent post!

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Text Drivers are Killers View Post
    Are you really so fucking stupid to think if free drugs were passed out "everybody" will become a junky?
    Maybe you shithead!

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    When you have a chronic addiction issue, it invariably causes health consequences that eventually qualify one for disability based on the effects of the abuse. You don't get it for being a drunk, you get it for having a pickled liver for instance. In my city there are an awful lot of "disabled" people running about and partying like madmen when the money shows up on the 3rd or whatever day is their payday. A lot of them buddy up based on when their checks arrive so a first weeker and a third weeker keep each other going all month because they otherwise are crap at managing their money enough to keep the party going all month on their own check.
    If you get it because being an alcoholic is the direct cause of it, what's the difference? It all goes back to the choice the person made.

I have a friend that is a postal carrier. A former route took him to one of the local Section 8 apartment complexes. He'd tell me that at the first of the month, the residents would be lined up at the cluster mailbox waiting on him to arrive. He specifically mentioned one who, in conversation, said he couldn't work because the medicine he took kept him confused and disoriented. My friend thought it quite interesting how this guy didn't seemed to be confused and disoriented on the day checks arrived or the location of the mailbox.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by One foot on a banana peel View Post
    Are you really so fucking stupid to think if free drugs were passed out "everybody" will become a junky?
    Maybe you shithead!
    Are you really so fucking stupid to think if free drugs were passed out that people would ever stop being addicts?

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,771 Times in 7,272 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Are you really so fucking stupid to think if free drugs were passed out that people would ever stop being addicts?
    The people taking the free drugs would simply be the same people who are now paying for drugs. There would just be less stealing to pay for their drugs,

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

This money should be spent on building apartments so WORKING taxpayers don't have to pay $4,000 a month for a 1BR.
    So now you do not want local control, but a more centralized govt telling everyone how it's a gonna be?

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Just think of what that would mean for our for profit corporate prisons with corporate convict labor leasing - legalized slavery - oh the horror our aristocracy would suffer.

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts

HAHAHA. Another liberal telling us more govt is the answer even though govt can't do anything right.
    Ending the war on drugs would drastically reduce the size and scope of government, actually.
    Last edited by TrippyHippy; 07-16-2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo
    “I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” - Henry David Thoreau

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TrippyHippy For This Post:

cawacko (07-16-2018)

17. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts

I don't agree with giving addicts free drugs. That being said, the fact that you think everybody would become a druggie as a result is just asinine.
    “I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” - Henry David Thoreau