Thread: What is "fake news"?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evmetro View Post
    The most common form of fake news that I see is where truth and facts are are taken out of their full and correct context and assembled into media stories that promote certain political agenda. This type of fake news satisfies confirmation bias of the viewers and can pass certain fact checks, so it can be difficult for many to spot.
    That's an excellent description of the typical Fox News broadcast. Well done.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Well, it works for him so why give it up when he is on a roll.
    That's what's so disturbing about it, don't you think? It not only works for Trump but for his minions as well. I've posted actual Trump tweets before -- including the link to his Twitter feed for verification -- and had certain folks claim that I'm lying, that it's fake news made up to discredit Trump. His own words -- fake news! WTF. When a people get that distrustful about the truth, that incredulous, they are ripe for the plucking by the next strongman/dictator that comes along.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    That's what's so disturbing about it, don't you think? It not only works for Trump but for his minions as well. I've posted actual Trump tweets before -- including the link to his Twitter feed for verification -- and had certain folks claim that I'm lying, that it's fake news made up to discredit Trump. His own words -- fake news! WTF. When a people get that distrustful about the truth, that incredulous, they are ripe for the plucking by the next strongman/dictator that comes along.
    The truth doesn't seem to matter to the dems when it comes to the Russia thing. Even Alan Dershowitz says no crime and no collusion and collusion is no crime:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (07-16-2018)

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The truth doesn't seem to matter to the dems when it comes to the Russia thing. Even Alan Dershowitz says no crime and no collusion and collusion is no crime:
    No one but Mueller and his team know what information has been gathered so far. You don't, I don't, Alan Dershowitz doesn't either.

6. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Frank Apisa (07-16-2018)

8. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No one but Mueller and his team know what information has been gathered so far. You don't, I don't, Alan Dershowitz doesn't either.
    And truth matters so much to you that your replied without having taken enough time to watch the video. Clearly information is only important to you when it feeds your bias.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

10. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And truth matters so much to you that your replied without having taken enough time to watch the video. Clearly information is only important to you when it feeds your bias.
    I am not interested in biased reporting from a clearly-biased source like Fox News, sorry. Little to no truth to be found there. Here's a funny little anecdote for you. We always watch NBC Nightly News in the evening, although it is not the sole source of our information about the outside world. One evening we walked down the road over to one of our neighbors to bring them something. They had Fox News playing in the background as we sat and chatted. My attention was caught by the coverage of a story we had first seen on NBC earlier. I wish I could recall now what it was about, something political but that's about it, sorry. The point though is that even though it was the exact same event, the twist on it was almost 180 degrees different than as reported by NBC.

"What is truth?" -- Pontius Pilate

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

12. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I am not interested in biased reporting from a clearly-biased source like Fox News, sorry. Little to no truth to be found there. Here's a funny little anecdote for you. We always watch NBC Nightly News in the evening, although it is not the sole source of our information about the outside world. One evening we walked down the road over to one of our neighbors to bring them something. They had Fox News playing in the background as we sat and chatted. My attention was caught by the coverage of a story we had first seen on NBC earlier. I wish I could recall now what it was about, something political but that's about it, sorry. The point though is that even though it was the exact same event, the twist on it was almost 180 degrees different than as reported by NBC.

"What is truth?" -- Pontius Pilate
    LOL. Had you watched the video you would have seen a distinguished law professor discussing a legal issue. Clearly you are not interested in something as biased as the truth as you are a democrat. You would rather get your panties in a wad over the scandal that the truth about your party was publicly revealed against its will.

13. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

LOL. Had you watched the video you would have seen a distinguished law professor discussing a legal issue. Clearly you are not interested in something as biased as the truth as you are a democrat. You would rather get your panties in a wad over the scandal that the truth about your party was publicly revealed against its will.
    Scandal? What scandal is this?

For the record, I doubt if Trump personally coordinated anything regarding the election with the Russians. I think he was as shocked as anyone that he won. That being said, he surrounded himself with poor quality criminals who very likely did engage in at least some coordination. I also suspect that the investigation is going to reveal vast ties to both the Russian official government, and to the underworld mafia -- including money laundering and other financial crimes. The real legal question I'm most interested in is "Can he pardon himself?"

14. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Scandal? What scandal is this?

For the record, I doubt if Trump personally coordinated anything regarding the election with the Russians. I think he was as shocked as anyone that he won. That being said, he surrounded himself with poor quality criminals who very likely did engage in at least some coordination. I also suspect that the investigation is going to reveal vast ties to both the Russian official government, and to the underworld mafia -- including money laundering and other financial crimes. The real legal question I'm most interested in is "Can he pardon himself?"
    I am replying without bothering to read your post. What is good enough for the gander is good for the goose.

15. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,426 Times in 5,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,512 Times in 6,255 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dershowitz is simply Washington's foremost prosemitic hack. Anybody quoting Dershowitz in a discussion on ' Fake news ' need look no further for a leading exponent.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-16-2018)

17. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    You're a loser, sailor. I've done you. Your cheap bully shots reveal a dim stumblebum with a grudge. Fuck off round the lighthouse in your coracle.
    The truth is not cheap bully shots. I can see why you are so sensitive to the truth though. You do nothing for the Palestinian plight. Just yammer endlessly and use it to lamely attempt to mask your hatred for the Jews. You could give a flying fuck if Palestinian kids starve or if Palestinians are killed. HAMAS cock sucker.