Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: College football starts in 7 weeks!!

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

I think Clemson will be tough to beat this year. Dabo has plenty of skill players, as always. But the D line is going to be a monster. The entire D line will be playing in the NFL next year. Most, if not all, will be drafted in the first round. As a huge fan of defensive football, a killer defensive line can ruin the best offense.

2. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,496 Times in 7,584 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't watch pro football. Reason being is that it's purely an entertainment business. Players don't play for their cities or any local allegiance . They play for whoever pays them the most.
    Div. 1 college football has become a farm league for pro teams with the best players not finishing 4 yrs of college and sitting out bowl games at the end of their 3 yrs. They don't really care about the team they're playing for, but I can't say I blame them.
    So here's my solution: If a player makes the decision to accept a scholarship to play football at a Div. 1 college, they're not eligible for the big league until 4 yrs. later. If they want to quit early they can play for a farm team or play in the Canadian or European league until they become eligible.
    If they believe they can play in the big league out of high school, go for it, let them be eligible from day one. Baseball drafts players out of high school.

But I'm getting less and less interested in college football. It's a farm league for the pros.

3. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    I don't watch pro football. Reason being is that it's purely an entertainment business. Players don't play for their cities or any local allegiance . They play for whoever pays them the most.
    Div. 1 college football has become a farm league for pro teams with the best players not finishing 4 yrs of college and sitting out bowl games at the end of their 3 yrs. They don't really care about the team they're playing for, but I can't say I blame them.
    So here's my solution: If a player makes the decision to accept a scholarship to play football at a Div. 1 college, they're not eligible for the big league until 4 yrs. later. If they want to quit early they can play for a farm team or play in the Canadian or European league until they become eligible.
    If they believe they can play in the big league out of high school, go for it, let them be eligible from day one. Baseball drafts players out of high school.

But I'm getting less and less interested in college football. It's a farm league for the pros.
    I don't have a problem with players leaving for the NFL after they play 3 years. Unlike many sports, football players have a very limited playing time. And the way the contracts work, the NFL teams can stop them from making serious money for a stretch of that. The typical 1st contract is 5 years. After that, the teams can put the franchise label on a player and keep them for another year. (if I am wrong about how this works, feel free to correct me)

So a player who stayed 4 years in college is around 28 before he is an unrestricted free agent, where the big money comes in. But for many positions, like RB or WR, 30 years old is getting old.

Also, nothing prevents a player who leaves after his junior year from finishing his degree. Alabama had several former players who are active players in the NFL come back for their graduation in May.

And given that any play can result in a career ending injury, adding another year of playing increases the odds greatly. There are an average of 72 plays in top tier college games (more for some). 12 to 14 games in a season (depending on bowls and/or making the CFP) That means that staying for your senior season adds between 864 and 1,008 more plays (and more chances of injury) for the player.

But the main thing that bothers me about your post is that you want to take away a players ability to choose what they do with their lives and their talent, just to appease your desire to see them play college ball longer.

The constant claim that the NCAA is only a farm league for the NFL is silly. The players get to decide where they play. And playing college ball well is how you impress the pros. Besides, most who play college ball never play a down in the NFL.

4. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

I personally think that any college athlete should be able to leave to go professional or transfer or quit at any time. It’s their athletic future and it’s their education.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Norah For This Post:

leaningright (09-02-2018)

6. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Well no word on Urban’s fate yet.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

7. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Well no word on Urban’s fate yet.
    3 game suspension.

He will not coach OSU against Oregon State, Rutgers and TCU.

The first two aren't much. But TCU is ranked #16 in the AP preseason poll.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (08-23-2018)

9. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,670 Times in 16,595 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    3 game suspension.

I'm glad it's over...he may not be coaching on the field the first three games , but he'll be there in their hearts and souls (and practice for two games) ...It's the
    Buckeyes, after all...

10. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    3 game suspension.

Meh it could have been worse. It appears the only thing Meyer did wrong was lie to the media. Given the nature of the media these days that’s hardly a firing offense. I think what scares me most is that Zack Smith has not been charged with domestic violence or convicted of domestic violence and there is counter allegations Smith’s ex wife is being vindictive.

What gets me is other than lying to the press Meyer did his job and reported the allegations to his boss Gene Smith who did not report it further. So it appears Meyer is being suspended for Smith not reporting it further and lying to the press. I say the punishment fits the crime. Meyer should not have lied. Smith was also suspended three games.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

12. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    I'm glad it's over...he may not be coaching on the field the first three games , but he'll be there in their hearts and souls (and practice for two games) ...It's the
    Buckeyes, after all...
    Well Meyers publicly lying doesn’t sit well with me. I think the punishment fit the crime but if he does it again he should be fired.

13. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,634 Times in 9,300 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think the whole thing was overblown,he fired the guy.
    I guess they thought he should have fired him sooner

14. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post

Then end the hypocrisy and pay them.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

anonymoose (08-24-2018)

16. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mason Michaels View Post
    I think the whole thing was overblown,he fired the guy.
    I guess they thought he should have fired him sooner
    Oh you know how the talking head yellow journalist are. Everyone should be either fired, prosecuted, jailed and executed. My concern is no one is talking about how people’s reputations and livelihood are being ruined over what could well be not domestic abuse but retaliation by a vengeful person.

Domestic abuse is a serious issue and should be taken seriously but journalists using this as a form of sensationalism and ruining people’s lives is unconscionable.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

18. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,634 Times in 9,300 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh you know how the talking head yellow journalist are. Everyone should be either fired, prosecuted, jailed and executed. My concern is no one is talking about how people’s reputations and livelihood are being ruined over what could well be not domestic abuse but retaliation by a vengeful person.

Domestic abuse is a serious issue and should be taken seriously but journalists using this as a form of sensationalism and ruining people’s lives is unconscionable.
    Where does the coach's responsibility end and the police begin.

19. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

HOLY CRAP!!!

That was an eye opening first half. Dwayne Haskins went 14 for 18 and 3 TDs in a quarter and a half in his first game as a starter. Don’t think those are just stats. Haskins was throwing frozen ropes with a super quick release and touch to seven different receivers in just 23 minutes of play before coach day sent the scrubs in. 42-7 in the first half against a PAC 12 opponent? Now obviously Oregon State isn’t that great but they aren’t exactly Appalachian State either.

I tell you what, OSU’s opponents better plan on getting heat on Haskins or he will light them up.

20. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

HOLY CRAP!!!

That was an eye opening first half. Dwayne Haskins went 14 for 18 and 3 TDs in a quarter and a half in his first game as a starter. Don’t think those are just stats. Haskins was throwing frozen ropes with a super quick release and touch to seven different receivers in just 23 minutes of play before coach day sent the scrubs in. 42-7 in the first half against a PAC 12 opponent? Now obviously Oregon State isn’t that great but they aren’t exactly Appalachian State either.

I tell you what, OSU’s opponents better plan on getting heat on Haskins or he will light them up.
    OSU of Oregon has basically been Appalachian State for the past several years, routinely losing games to FCS opponents. That said, their offense and QB showed a lot of promise in the first quarter. I will be happy if that program has finally evolved beyond being a laughing-stalk. OSU of Ohio has come away looking much more impressive than I anticipated, though.