Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Have A Poor As A Mayor

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default We Have A Poor As A Mayor

Just kidding but it would be interesting to know how many people have become Mayor's before they could afford to own a home in a major City.

San Francisco is so expensive, its new mayor has never been able to afford a home there

"I've been a renter all my life," San Francisco's new mayor London Breed said in her inauguration speech Wednesday. "So many of my friends have left San Francisco. I don't want to see this happen to the next generation."

Addressing a crowd from the steps of City Hall, the first black female mayor of the city outlined an ambitious to-do list to fix some of the city's biggest problems. Among those Breed discussed was the high cost of living. Shee promised to build more housing in a city that has a woefully inadequate supply for the number of high-paying tech-related jobs it creates.

Breed served as President of the Board of Supervisors over the past several years. She has lived in the city most of her life and never owned a home here.
    "San Francisco is unaffordable on so many levels," she said.

A recent report found the household income needed to buy a median-price home in the city reached a new high and is now $303,000. The study from Paragon Real Estate used data on sales in the fourth quarter of 2017 from the California Association of Realtors affordability index.

Breed, 43, vowed to stand by immigrants fearing crackdowns from President Donald Trump's administration and to help drug addicts languishing on city streets, unable to get the aid they need.

The new mayor grew up in public housing in the city and frequently talks about the tough love and support she received, especially from a grandmother who raised her but also teachers and civic leaders who spotted her potential.

She promised to pay that forward, with opportunities for every child to get paid internships and job training so they also can be part of the city's promising future.
    "I stand at this podium today because a community believed in me. Because our city services looked out for me," Breed said. "Here in the city of St. Francis, we support one another."

Breed is a Democrat, as is just about everybody in public office in San Francisco, which has a population of 870,000 and is about 6 percent black, one of the smallest percentages among major U.S. cities.

She succeeds Mayor Ed Lee, whose unexpected death in December prompted a special June election to serve the remainder of his term. She must run again in November 2019 if she wants a full four-year term.

Breed was most recently president of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. As mayor, she will earn an annual salary of $335,996.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/amp/L...mpression=true

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

I think Bill CLinton became Governor without owning a home

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 158 Times in 148 Posts

Maxine Waters is Rep. For South Central L.A. ( the hood ) .....

She lives in a 4.8 million dollar home .... Elsewhere . LOL !

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Just kidding but it would be interesting to know how many people have become Mayor's before they could afford to own a home in a major City.

San Francisco is so expensive, its new mayor has never been able to afford a home there

"I've been a renter all my life," San Francisco's new mayor London Breed said in her inauguration speech Wednesday. "So many of my friends have left San Francisco. I don't want to see this happen to the next generation."

Addressing a crowd from the steps of City Hall, the first black female mayor of the city outlined an ambitious to-do list to fix some of the city's biggest problems. Among those Breed discussed was the high cost of living. Shee promised to build more housing in a city that has a woefully inadequate supply for the number of high-paying tech-related jobs it creates.

Breed served as President of the Board of Supervisors over the past several years. She has lived in the city most of her life and never owned a home here.
    "San Francisco is unaffordable on so many levels," she said.

A recent report found the household income needed to buy a median-price home in the city reached a new high and is now $303,000. The study from Paragon Real Estate used data on sales in the fourth quarter of 2017 from the California Association of Realtors affordability index.

Breed, 43, vowed to stand by immigrants fearing crackdowns from President Donald Trump's administration and to help drug addicts languishing on city streets, unable to get the aid they need.

The new mayor grew up in public housing in the city and frequently talks about the tough love and support she received, especially from a grandmother who raised her but also teachers and civic leaders who spotted her potential.

She promised to pay that forward, with opportunities for every child to get paid internships and job training so they also can be part of the city's promising future.
    "I stand at this podium today because a community believed in me. Because our city services looked out for me," Breed said. "Here in the city of St. Francis, we support one another."

Breed is a Democrat, as is just about everybody in public office in San Francisco, which has a population of 870,000 and is about 6 percent black, one of the smallest percentages among major U.S. cities.

She succeeds Mayor Ed Lee, whose unexpected death in December prompted a special June election to serve the remainder of his term. She must run again in November 2019 if she wants a full four-year term.

Breed was most recently president of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. As mayor, she will earn an annual salary of $335,996.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/amp/L...mpression=true
    Sounds like a success story worth applauding..

Kinda' goes against your claim about liberals.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to blackascoal For This Post:

Leonthecat (07-13-2018)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    Sounds like a success story worth applauding..

Kinda' goes against your claim about liberals.
    What claim is that?

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loving91390 View Post
    Maxine Waters is Rep. For South Central L.A. ( the hood ) .....

She lives in a 4.8 million dollar home .... Elsewhere . LOL !
    Sounds like another success story.

The Constitution requires that Members of the House be at least 25 years old, have been a U.S. citizen for at least seven years, and live in the state they represent .. not the same district.

And, given that she has represented 3 different districts .. much of which is not in the 'hood' since 1991 .. pretty sure she sits comfortably in her home wherever it is. :0)
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What claim is that?
    You know .. that thing you have about liberals not really caring about African-Americans and the poor.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sounds like another success story.

The Constitution requires that Members of the House be at least 25 years old, have been a U.S. citizen for at least seven years, and live in the state they represent .. not the same district.

And, given that she has represented 3 different districts .. much of which is not in the 'hood' since 1991 .. pretty sure
    she sits comfortably in her home wherever it is. :0)
    And yet they continue to elect this whack-a-loon !! Isn't time they wake up ???

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You know .. that thing you have about liberals not really caring about African-Americans and the poor.
    I'm trying to understand your statements in terms of London Breed's election. London Breed is not poor. The point of the article is how expensive housing is in San Francisco. I'm not sure what that has to do with Democrats and their policies towards the poor. You and I have discussed London Breed before and the charges of racism against the progressives in SF who inserted the rich white male Mark Ferrell as interim Mayor instead of Breed because she supports the building of market rate housing which is somehow deemed unprogressive. (because in progressives minds not building new housing is the way to lower housing costs I guess).

So I'm not sure what her election shows regarding your statement of my supposed beliefs. And even your above statement is very vague. Any comments or statements I've made would have been more nuanced then that.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loving91390 View Post
    And yet they continue to elect this whack-a-loon !! Isn't time they wake up ???
    Let me guess .. you voted for Trump.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Boom.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm trying to understand your statements in terms of London Breed's election. London Breed is not poor. The point of the article is how expensive housing is in San Francisco. I'm not sure what that has to do with Democrats and their policies towards the poor. You and I have discussed London Breed before and the charges of racism against the progressives in SF who inserted the rich white male Mark Ferrell as interim Mayor instead of Breed because she supports the building of market rate housing which is somehow deemed unprogressive. (because in progressives minds not building new housing is the way to lower housing costs I guess).

So I'm not sure what her election shows regarding your statement of my supposed beliefs. And even your above statement is very vague. Any comments or statements I've made would have been more nuanced then that.
    First, if I'm mischarcterizing your thoughts, I apologize. That being said, I don't think I am.

You speak to exactly what I'm talking about with claims of progressives and racism. We have indeed talked about this before.

Question: Do republicans talk about market-rate housing and the best interests of the poor? No, they don't.

Breed does talk about it and she's now the Mayor of one of the most liberal cities in America .. elected by liberals and progressives .. not conservatives.

Not trying to be argumentative, but the black population of SF is only 6% .. and the liberals and progressives there elected a black woman .. not the first African-American elected a Mayor of SF.

Liberals, progressives, and African-Americans are usually found on the same page.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Boom.
    Boom what?

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

The point of the article is how expensive housing is in San Francisco. I'm not sure what that has to do with Democrats and their policies towards the poor.
    For someone not sure you do beat that down our collective throats for like maybe 10 years.

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Let me guess .. you voted for Trump.

What does that have to do with anything ?

YOU don't think she is a whack-a-loon ?

If that's the case .... So. Central LA ... Deserves what it gets .