Thread: Muslims more numerous than Catholics

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Muslims more numerous than Catholics

Muslims more numerous than Catholics: Vatican
    Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:29pm BST

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Islam has overtaken Roman Catholicism as the biggest single religious denomination in the world, the Vatican said on Sunday.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/topNew...68682420080330

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,530 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Muslim is separated into Sects. So is Christianity. If Muslim just passed only one Sect of Christianity, it still has some ways to go.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Islam has overtaken Roman Catholicism as the biggest single religious denomination in the world, the Vatican said on Sunday.

Should I be afraid that the islamofascist hordes are going to invade america, and turn our Walmarts into Mosques?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

LOL, Wally World has sort of become a religion hasn't it ?

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Should I be afraid that the islamofascist hordes are going to invade america, and turn our Walmarts into Mosques?
    Yes. Because then we'd all have to shop at that French Target...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

hmm another interesting fact:
    13-14M jews worldwide
    5-6M in both Israel and US.. rest spread between other areas.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Muslim is separated into Sects. So is Christianity. If Muslim just passed only one Sect of Christianity, it still has some ways to go.
    Damo, Catholics are a very large super-majority of Christian world wide. But Christianity has always been the largest religion. But just b/c Catholoscism is fading, doesn't mean Christianity's growth is slowing down. Radical evangelicals more than make upthe losses.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post

Islam isn't a single religious denomination. There are sunni, shi'a, and several others. Maybe the link meant that Sunni's have overtaken catholics?
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No, I believe there are only a billion or so Muslims worldwide, while there are there are a billion or so Catholics alone. Although about half of all Christians are Catholic, Christians still outnumber Muslims considerably, and Catholicism would still be the largest denomination. Catholicism might be considered a separate religion than Christianity, though. If that is the case, Christianity has been the third largest religion for some time, with Islam as the second largest, and Catholicism the first.
    "Our life is a false nature – 'tis not in
    The harmony of things, – this hard decree,
    This uneradicable taint of sin,
    This boundless upas, this all-blasting tree,
    Whose root is earth, whose leaves and branches be
    The skies which rain their plagues on men like dew –
    Disease, death, bondage – all the woes we see –
    And worse, the woes we see not – which throb thought
    The immedicable soul, with heart-aches ever new"

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

The Vatican is reporting that Islam has overtaken Catholism. I guess they want us all to be afraid?

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    Damo, Catholics are a very large super-majority of Christian world wide. But Christianity has always been the largest religion. But just b/c Catholoscism is fading, doesn't mean Christianity's growth is slowing down. Radical evangelicals more than make upthe losses.
    They are about half. 17% of the world is Catholic, 33% consider themselves Christian.

Another oddity, Mormons are not included in that number either. When you get to counting all of the religions based on worship of a first century "Jewish Zombie" you are getting into serious numbers.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Moremoans are not included neither a Moonies. Pretty much cluts grown large.
    But then all religions started as cults.

and the real clincher. Muslims and Christians and Jews all worship the god of Abraham.
    so they are all just sects too ?

13. #13 | Top
    Cancel5 Guest

a really great website, http://www.religioustolerance.org/relcomp.htm

still lists Islam as the #2 religion in the world. http://www.religioustolerance.org/islam.htm

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Muslims are better at sex than Catholics.

15. #15 | Top
    Cancel5 Guest

Personal experience?