1. #421 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    The stimulus is the ARRA, dude.

It's the same thing.

The payroll tax cuts came almost two years after the ARRA was passed.
    It was still additional stimulus. You're arguing he wasn't given enough stimulus even with all that congress passed and helicopter Ben and QE

2. #422 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,716 Times in 27,346 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Other Presidents have have had week opponents but haven’t won by the huge electoral landslides Reagan won by. Certainly certain segments of the population loathed. You don’t win those sort of landslide elections without broad popular support. No President in my lifetime has had the level of popular support Reagan had.

The fact is there hasn’t been a “great US President” since FDR. Most of our Presidents since FDR have, in fact, served our nation and more importantly, the public institution of the Presidency, quite well.

We have been fortunate that the large majority of Presidents have served our nation well and only a handful have not.
    Yes, it is objectively true that Reagan won two landslide electoral college victories. That is just a fact, and you are right to point it out.

What I am saying is that the electoral college is not a measure of the popular will, not a measure of the consent and approval of the governed. The EC is an undemocratic archaic system that was designed to put disproportionate power in the hands of slave states and rural states.

If you look at a real measure of the consent and approval of the governed - namely, job approval polling - collectively and on balance, Reagan was outperformed by Bill Clinton, JFK, Eishenhower, FDR. I submit that the myth of Reagans "enormous" popularity is just that - a myth.

I agree with you that FDR is the only president of the last century that ranks as a "Mount Rushmore" level of historical important and greatness.

Sidebar - Mikhail Gorbachev ended the Cold War. No idea why Reagan gets such undue credit. It did not even really end on his watch. And the self-serving legend that Reagan spent the Soviets into bankruptcy does not hold mustard. If the Russians felt like they need to continue to keep pace in an Arms race, they would never have just thrown up their hands and given up. We are talking about the people that preserved through a war of annihilation with the Nazis, and were willing be bear unbounded suffering on behalf of the Motherland. A twenty percent increase, or whatever, in American defense spending, was not even close to being the nail in the coffin of Soviet communism. The lion's share of the credit for ending the Cold War goes to Gorbechev, but credit can certainly be extended to all powt-WW2 U.S. Presidents, for their foresight in forming and maintaining NATO, the Marshal Plan, the Berlin Airlift, et al.

3. #423 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

Of course not, which is the point.
    "because when people get tax cuts, they don't spend them. They save them."

You stated the above. You did note the wealthy do so in particular. But the vast majority of those that got the cuts didn't save them. They spent the extra money.

4. #424 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Yes, it is objectively true that Reagan won two landslide electoral college victories. That is just a fact, and you are right to point it out.

What I am saying is that the electoral college is not a measure of the popular will, not a measure of the consent and approval of the governed. The EC is an undemocratic archaic system that was designed to put disproportionate power in the hands of slave states and rural states.

If you look at a real measure of the consent and approval of the governed - namely, job approval polling - collectively and on balance, Reagan was outperformed by Bill Clinton, JFK, Eishenhower, FDR. I submit that the myth of Reagans "enormous" popularity is just that - a myth.

I agree with you that FDR is the only president of the last century that ranks as a "Mount Rushmore" level of historical important and greatness.

Sidebar - Mikhail Gorbachev ended the Cold War. No idea why Reagan gets such undue credit. It did not even really end on his watch. And the self-serving legend that Reagan spent the Soviets into bankruptcy does not hold mustard. If the Russians felt like they need to continue to keep pace in an Arms race, they would never have just thrown up their hands and given up. We are talking about the people that preserved through a war of annihilation with the Nazis, and were willing be bear unbounded suffering on behalf of the Motherland. A twenty percent increase, or whatever, in American defense spending, was not even close to being the nail in the coffin of Soviet communism. The lion's share of the credit for ending the Cold War goes to Gorbechev, but credit can certainly be extended to all powt-WW2 U.S. Presidents, for their foresight in forming and maintaining NATO, the Marshal Plan, the Berlin Airlift, et al.
    LMAO... such a revisionist.

Reagan won the popular vote 43.9 million to Carter's 35.5 million
    He then destroyed Mondale by winning almost 60% of the popular vote. 54.4 to 37.6million. So yeah, he DOMINATED the popular vote as well.

As for your job approval theory... so by that accounting... GW Bush outperformed Obama. So here we have our resident leg humping rape apologist misogynistic cretin stating GW Bush was better than Obama.

Funny how the twit is so desperate to ignore what actually happened during the cold war and how it ended.

5. #425 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Keynesians don't support tax cuts for the rich.
    your ignorance on Keynesian theory is astounding.

6. #426 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,424 Times in 10,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    "because when people get tax cuts, they don't spend them. They save them."
    You stated the above. You did note the wealthy do so in particular. But the vast majority of those that got the cuts didn't save them. They spent the extra money.
    Hence why I said some were revenue neutral.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

7. #427 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    your ignorance on Keynesian theory is astounding.
    Dunning-Kruger.

Hard pass.

8. #428 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    It was still additional stimulus. You're arguing he wasn't given enough stimulus even with all that congress passed and helicopter Ben and QE
    Ah, but it wasn't "the stimulus", which is what I was referring to.

So you're trying to conflate the stimulus (aka the ARRA) with the payroll tax cuts Obama did two years later because that's how you debate things; conflation.

9. #429 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hence why I said some were revenue neutral.
    That is not revenue neutral.

10. #430 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ah, but it wasn't "the stimulus", which is what I was referring to.

So you're trying to conflate the stimulus (aka the ARRA) with the payroll tax cuts Obama did two years later because that's how you debate things; conflation.
    Your whole premise is obama wasn't given enough stimulus. We've listed out all the major legislation that was passed. It's the beauty of Keynesianism, no matter how much is spent you can always argue it wasn't enough

11. #431 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Your whole premise is obama wasn't given enough stimulus. We've listed out all the major legislation that was passed. It's the beauty of Keynesianism, no matter how much is spent you can always argue it wasn't enough
    Right, he wasn't given enough stimulus. I said instead of tax cuts, it should have been all direct spending of at least $1T.

What you did was try and conflate the ARRA from 2009, with the payroll tax cuts from 2011, into one big "stimulus" and frame your argument that way. But that's pretty weak sauce since the payroll tax cuts came two years after the stimulus was passed.

12. #432 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Right, he wasn't given enough stimulus. I said instead of tax cuts, it should have been all direct spending of at least $1T.

What you did was try and conflate the ARRA from 2009, with the payroll tax cuts from 2011, into one big "stimulus" and frame your argument that way. But that's pretty weak sauce since the payroll tax cuts came two years after the stimulus was passed.
    What's weak sauce is your lack of stimulous argument and claiming it's racist. But hey, the fun is just about to start as we attempt to recover from three rounds of QE

13. #433 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What's weak sauce is your lack of stimulous argument and claiming it's racist. But hey, the fun is just about to start as we attempt to recover from three rounds of QE
    Well, your overriding motivation is racist ignorance, yes.

Your feelings mean nothing to me.

14. #434 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

But hey, the fun is just about to start as we attempt to recover from three rounds of QE
    Not sure why any supply-siders or Conservatives would have a problem with QE since it's literally trickle-down economics in its most base form.

15. #435 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's not me who was conflating things in order to make a point; that was all you.