Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: poll:who was best Pres in your lifetime

1. #241 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,422 Times in 10,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

2. #242 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldvoTrumpovich View Post
    This is what radicalized right wing nut jobs like yourself love to parrot but it doesn't hold water. If it were true, we would've seen the effect soon after, not eight years later.
    Did you bother to read my Bush Jr quotes about his American Dream Downpayment Act? OK, I'll post it again and ask you this: Do you think Bush Jr deserves any amount of blame for the 2008 mortgage crisis and economic collapse?

2003: Bush Jr signs the American Dream Downpayment Act: https://georgewbush-whitehouse.archi...0031216-9.html

2004: The housing bubble starts. Millions of low income people buy homes they can't afford because Bush Jr pressured the banks to give them no-downpayment loans.

2007: Millions of low-income homeowners default (walk away) on their mortgages, putting pressure on banks holding the Lons.

2008: The crisis snowballs and the economy tanks.

Bush Jr: "Last year I set a goal to add 5.5 million new minority homeowners in America by the end of the decade. That is an attainable goal; that is an essential goal. And we're making progress toward that goal. In the past 18 months, more than 1 million minority families have become homeowners. (Applause.) And there's more that we can do to achieve the goal. The law I sign today will help us build on this progress in a very practical way.
    Many people are able to afford a monthly mortgage payment, but are unable to make the down payment. So this legislation will authorize $200 million per year in down payment assistance to at least 40,000 low-income families. These funds will help American families achieve their goals, and at the same time, strengthen our communities."

Read it and weep: https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/b...anted=all&_r=0
    From his earliest days in office, Mr. Bush paired his belief that Americans do best when they own their own home with his conviction that markets do best when let alone.

He pushed hard to expand homeownership, especially among minorities, an initiative that dovetailed with his ambition to expand the Republican tent — and with the business interests of some of his biggest donors. But his housing policies and hands-off approach to regulation encouraged lax lending standards.

As early as 2006, top advisers to Mr. Bush dismissed warnings from people inside and outside the White House that housing prices were inflated and that a foreclosure crisis was looming. And when the economy deteriorated, Mr. Bush and his team misdiagnosed the reasons and scope of the downturn; as recently as February, for example, Mr. Bush was still calling it a “rough patch.”

The result was a series of piecemeal policy prescriptions that lagged behind the escalating crisis.

“There is no question we did not recognize the severity of the problems,” said Al Hubbard, Mr. Bush’s former chief economics adviser, who left the White House in December 2007. “Had we, we would have attacked them.”

Looking back, Keith B. Hennessey, Mr. Bush’s current chief economics adviser, says he and his colleagues did the best they could “with the information we had at the time.” But Mr. Hennessey did say he regretted that the administration did not pay more heed to the dangers of easy lending practices. And both Mr. Paulson and his predecessor, John W. Snow, say the housing push went too far.

“The Bush administration took a lot of pride that homeownership had reached historic highs,” Mr. Snow said in an interview. “But what we forgot in the process was that it has to be done in the context of people being able to afford their house. We now realize there was a high cost.”
    if you are not capable of an honest discussion, just state that.

If you don't comprehend how Glass Steagall impacted the loan markets then perhaps you should remain silent.

Saying it should have happened sooner shows you don't comprehend the topic being discussed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Superfreak For This Post:

Truth Detector (07-13-2018)

4. #243 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    I'm so glad you posted this because it speaks to the inherent dishonesty of Conservatives and how Conservatives debate.

What Pelosi actually said was:

"We have to pass it so you can know what's in it outside the fog of controversey"

So by cutting off the second half of that statement, you inevitably prove her entire statement true!

Cutting off the second half of that statement is the fog of controversy Pelosi was referring to. What it means is that you Conservatives deliberately lied about the health care bill, even lying about what Pelosi said about the health care bill, and that the American people will have to find out the truth of the bill once it was passed because you all lied about it.

Cutting off the second half of what Pelosi said creates the fog of controversy she mentioned.

So all you do when you post this stupid attack is help make Pelosi's case even stronger.

You are a liar, and you're not even covert in how you lie.

BTW - Obamacare has a higher approval rating than Trump does right now!
    The dishonesty is all yours and Pelosi's; to suggest that one does not know what is in legislation shines a bright light on the lies and dishonesty the ACA was passed under.

Of course, you would have to have a modicum of intelligence and honesty to comprehend that much. ACA was passed based on lies and a straight party line vote when Democrats had the majority.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

5. #244 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    you could have cut and paste it in the time it took to type the above. I will assume you are incapable of providing the evidence again or a link to the post number.
    Your laziness is not my problem.

6. #245 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    It runs much like a very large corporation. I am not surprised you don't know this because it is evident you don't know much of anything.
    No, it's not run like a large corporation, and anyone who has ever worked in a large corporation will tell you you're full of shit.

7. #246 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Since the start of the Trump/Russia tax cut, the DJIA is flat for the year, and was down for Q2.

Fed's got nothing to do with that.
    Tax cuts have NOTHING to do with stocks. I do wish you knew what you are emotionally erupting about. I suppose with your moronic logic, tax increases lead to job growth.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

8. #247 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

Your laziness is not my problem.
    Your lying is not my problem either.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Superfreak For This Post:

10. #248 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Liberals who supported Obama's ten trillion in deficit spending should not be whining about anyone else spending.
    I'm not complaining about spending, I'm pointing out that you were the people who stapled teabags to your face because of a trillion-dollar deficits 8 years ago, but are strangely silent about the trillion dollar deficits today.

How come? What happened to all your teabags? When you stapled them to your face, did the staples go in too far and damage your frontal lobes?

11. #249 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

1. Yes, Conservatives lied about Obamacare. In fact, their lie about Obamacare was 2010's "Lie of the Year"

2. You did get to keep your doctor so long as you enrolled in a health insurance plan your doctor accepted. So your inability to use the exchanges or act like an adult responsible for your health care isn't a fault of Obama's, it's a fault of yours.

3. How are we less healthy because of Obamacare? Show facts and cite sources for this wild claim.

4. Costs grew at a slower rate post-ACA than pre-ACA. But costs this fall are going to be the highest in years because of your Russia Tax Cut.

5. You could keep your plan if your plan met the qualifications. You say you "liked" your health care plan before...OK, what was it you liked about it? Because I suspect you only liked it because of the cost, not because it denied pre-existing conditions, and/or had lifetime caps. So what was it about your old health care plan you actually liked? Will you even say? No, because you're talking out of your ass.
    Another massive pile of hyperbolic bile. You seem to be quite full of it. I cannot stop you from being delusional. Carry on fact-less wonder.

12. #250 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I do; what makes you think I like them. But unlike you, I am intelligent and informed and know that CBO projections are ALWAYS wrong and judging a presidency in its its first year moronic.
    What makes me think you like them is that you support policies that cause them, like the Russia Tax Cut.

13. #251 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

The economy didn't boom, you friggin moron.

There was a recession in 1990.

There was the S&L crisis which led to the largest taxpayer-funded bailout of all time (before TARP).
    The economy didn't boom during the '80's? This is some interesting reversionist history

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

15. #252 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What Obama actually said was that with the subsidies, your premium costs would go down. Premium costs wouldn't go down on their own, they'd go down for the people enrolling in them because of the subsidies.

And there was a very famous case of a Conservative pig-lady who said that her health care costs went up because of Obamacare, when they actually went down, according to her insurer. Her name was Julie Boonstra. And she was a liar and paid stooge for the Koch brothers who refused to accept what her insurance company was telling her. Why? Because she is a fat, entitled Conservative liar who hated Obama because his election was a repudiation of the Bush policies you all supported and defended, that the people ultimately rejected.
    More fact-less hyperbolic bullshit.

16. #253 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It doesn't work fine for them and if you were informed and honest, you would know this. It is costly, creates shortages in care and citizens die as a result of cost controls and policies that limit specializing
    It sure does work out fine for them. They beat us in nearly every single health metric there is; from infant mortality to life expectancy, to rates of heart disease, to cost-per-patient.

17. #254 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Nope. Not a thing. The reason the DJIA is flat is because the Russia Tax Cut failed to deliver on the promises you all made of it.
    Thinks tax cuts have instantaneous results.

18. #255 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No it didn't.

What started the housing crisis was the lowering of lending standards for subprime loans in 2004.
    More bullshit.