Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: poll:who was best Pres in your lifetime

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Obama was so horrible he made Jimmy Carter look like a winner.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Life is Golden For This Post:

Cancel 2018.1 (07-12-2018), PostmodernProphet (07-12-2018), Q-Tip (07-12-2018), Truth Detector (07-12-2018)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,195 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trump Diva View Post
    Obama was so horrible he made Jimmy Carter look like a winner.
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsw...368843%3famp=1

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (07-13-2018)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,714 Times in 27,344 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I agree with you. In the light of history's hindsight, Carter actually looks substantially under-rated.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-11-2018)

7. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I agree with you. In the light of history's hindsight, Carter actually looks substantially under-rated.
    History will also prove Reagan is overrated.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Cypress (07-11-2018), Mott the Hoople (07-13-2018)

9. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I agree with you 100 percent on Bedtime for Bonzo.

I actually think there has been a rightwing cottage industry dedicated to creating and maintaining a heroic mythology about Bonzo. A mythology that does not reflect reality.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-11-2018)

11. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I'd love to hear why you believe that. He's been out of office for almost 30 years so what do you think will be looked differently upon what he did in the future that hasn't been looked at already today?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Truth Detector (07-12-2018)

13. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I agree with you 100 percent on Bedtime for Bonzo.

I actually think there has been a rightwing cottage industry dedicated to creating and maintaining a heroic mythology about Bonzo. A mythology that does not reflect reality.
    It's 30 years since he left office and people still reference the Reagan Revolution. For starters look at the GDP growth he had and compare to any democratic or republican president before him or after.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

15. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

JFK. He made the ultimate sacrifice.

16. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    It's 30 years since he left office and people still reference the Reagan Revolution. For starters look at the GDP growth he had and compare to any democratic or republican president before him or after.
    Historical greatness in presidents is not determined by what the GDP percentage was in the third quarter of their final year in office.

Presidential greatness is defined by profound acts of leadership in the face of great crises, by how they deal with great moral challenges, and/or how they are remembered for their contributions to the advancement of democracy, equality, and human progress.

Obama is always going to be remembered for walking into office at a time of great peril, and saving us from a Second Great Republican Depression.

FDR is remembered for saving capitalism from a downward trajectory into chaos, and for saving western liberal democracy from the forces of rightwing fascism.

JFK stopped a nuclear war from happening by remarkable diplomatic skill and sheer foresight.

George Dumbya will be remembered for blundering us into two failed wars, and taking us right to the precipice of another Great Republican Depression.

Reagan, in my opinion, is going to be remembered for breaking the law, violating his constitutional oath of office, illegally selling high tech American weapons to Iran, caving to terrorists, undermining democracy, and elevating thinly-disguised racism and bigotry as a core value of the Republican Party.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (07-11-2018), Mott the Hoople (07-13-2018), TTQ64 (07-12-2018)

18. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Historical greatness in presidents is not determined by what the GDP percentage was in the third quarter of their final year in office.

Presidential greatness is defined by profound acts of leadership in the face of great crises, by how they deal with great moral challenges, and/or how they are remembered for their contributions to the advancement of democracy, equality, and human progress.

Obama is always going to be remembered for walking into office at a time of great peril, and saving us from a Second Great Republican Depression.

FDR is remembered for saving capitalism from a downward trajectory into chaos, and for saving western liberal democracy from the forces of rightwing fascism.

JFK stopped a nuclear war from happening by remarkable diplomatic skill and sheer foresight.

George Dumbya will be remembered for blundering us into two failed wars, and taking us right to the precipice of another Great Republican Depression.

Reagan, in my opinion, is going to be remembered for breaking the law, violating his constitutional oath of office, illegally selling high tech American weapons to Iran, caving to terrorists, undermining democracy, and elevating thinly-disguised racism and bigotry as a core value of the Republican Party.
    Republicans and Democrats are always going to view Reagan different. It is what it is. Economic growth is a major part of a President's record so I understand you want to downplay it considering how poor Obama's was and how good Reagan's was. As you well know Reagan took over during a major recession and a period of "economic malaise". America had lost faith in itself and Reagan played a major role in bringing that faith back. It's easy to pooh pooh it now but anyone who lived through it remembers it. And Reagan was a major player in the ending of the Cold War. I understand to liberals he was a crazy war monger who almost blew up the planet but the results speak for themselves. That was leadership. That's why he's one of the greatest.

However we could argue until we're blue in the face and we're not going to change each other's minds about him which is fine. It is what it is.

19. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Do you remember when he said trees create more pollution than automobiles?

He borrowed money from SS that was never paid back.

He probably had one of the most corrupt administrations in history, but Trump’s may outdo his.

He ignored AIDS

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (07-13-2018)

21. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

He probably had one of the most corrupt administrations in history, but Trump’s may outdo his.

He ignored AIDS
    Oh yes, I remember all of that.

He was our first dim-wit president, the precursor to Trump sort of.

Full disclosure: I did cast a vote for Reagan. But older and wiser now.

Yes, Bonzo's administration was incredibly corrupt, and Reagan really should have been impeached and put in jail. They learned from Nixon's mistakes, and his underlings gave him plausible deniability.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-12-2018)

23. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Rewrite history much?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

25. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

He ignored AIDS
    Liar

26. The Following User Groans At canceled.2021.2 For This Awful Post:

rjhenn (07-13-2018)

27. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    The question was who was the best President in your lifetime. Anyone 28 years old or younger wasn't alive when Reagan was President. Those in their mid to late 30's would have no memory of him. So basically this question was about three Presidents. Reagan will stand the test of time.
    This is what I was thinking when I saw this poll. I'm 38 and I couldn't remember much through Clinton's first term. Even most of his second term my opinions were shaped largely by my parents and other adults, so basically I've got a big old bag of shit to choose from based on the two presidents that have completed their terms.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirt McGirt For This Post:

cawacko (07-12-2018)