1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome NiftyNiblick,

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I won't get personal with any individual poster. We don't know one another.

In general, however, right wing conservative values are so seethingly repugnant to me that there is no place in my life for anyone who holds those despicable views.
    I know that they're as sincere about their views as I am about mine, and I wouldn't expect them to like me either.

This is the ultimate failure of the American experiment. Half of the nation will ALWAYS loathe the government, no matter who is in power. Perhaps we should follow the example of Yugoslavia and the old Soviet Union. People should all have a government that they can respect--and it will never happen in unified America.
    Glad you're here. Pleased to make your acquaintance.

I used to get dinged for talking politics on other boards where it was a no-no. Then I got dinged for talking too much politics at work. I have a need to talk about politics. I don't understand the aversion. I guess maybe I do. People get too emotional about it, get too pissed off. We've got a lot of those types here. I just ignore 'em. I don't want to make it personal. I just want to plain talk about politics. That's why I came to Just Plain Politics.

I like logic.

Logically, it makes no sense to get personal about politics. That's emotion talking. Here's my logic: We have a lot of problems to solve in the USA. We are not going to solve them by name-calling or being uncivil. We have to talk about them. We have to understand that others are going to take different positions. That's OK. That's actually beautiful. It's the beauty of our nation. We allow all views. There is strength in that. We get ideas from a lot of places. People with different experiences have different ideas. Ideas are power. Ideas are the stuff of greatness. We can generate great ideas if we brainstorm. It takes more than one mind to brainstorm. When we discuss things ideas happen. We should carry on discussions about our nation. That way, an idea might come up that helps out, improves our approach.

It sure ain't gonna happen if all we are doing is having an insult contest.

We have to talk about the issues, recognize that views will be different, relish in that, boil it all down to get to policy.

We have a lot of work to do.

The founders did an amazing job creating this nation.

And every generation has fought for something along the way to make us the great nation we are.

Now it is our turn.

We can't take it for granted.

We can't let it fall apart over hatred and polarization.

We must remain well informed and actively engaged in the business of our nation.

Let the mutually respectful discussions flow!

Diversity Makes America Great
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-10-2018)

3. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    I golf four days a week...with ardent right-wingers. I love 'em even though they are political meatheads.

I work two days a week as a starter...at a county course (among five dynamite country courses) in one of the most Republican/conservative counties in the nation. Just about all of my fellow workers are strong right-wingers.

I'm 81 (gonna be 82 early next month), white, European heritage...who favors a very progressive agenda. Almost none of my friends has anything in common with me politically...and we get along like clockwork.

My long game sucks...my short game is stellar. My putting is on the money.

Donald Trump is an abomination...a classless, dim-witted, childish abomination.
    And a golf cheater!
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello aloysious,

I am liberal. I appreciate anybody who can state their position without being offensive. You have been respectful to me, so I appreciate your participation here. My appreciation of others has nothing to do with their political beliefs.
    These political message boards remind me of that old Sat. Nite Live parody of the old CBS show Point, Counterpoint.
    Jane Curtin states her position and Dan Akroyd replies, "Jane, you ignorant slut, " and proceeds to state his position.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2018.1 For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (07-10-2018), PoliTalker (07-11-2018), ThatOwlWoman (07-10-2018)

6. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,242 Times in 7,657 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    And a golf cheater!
    More than a "golf cheater"...although he is that, Poli.

He is a guy who claims a single digit handicap index...who takes mulligans and turns the ball over rather than play it down.

NO DECENT SINGLE DIGIT HANDICAP...does those things.

And the asshole drives golf carts across greens, because he owns them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-10-2018)

8. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by aloysious View Post
    These political message boards remind me of that old Sat. Nite Live parody of the old CBS show Point, Counterpoint.
    Jane Curtin states her position and Dan Akroyd replies, "Jane, you ignorant slut, " and proceeds to state his position.
    For the most part...reasonable positions from both sides of the aisle are laid out early in a forum...the first few weeks of participation.

After that...it mostly is the "you spit in my coffee" and I "piss in your coke" kind of thing.

I NEVER take this stuff to seriously...and I have met and had dinner and drinks with people I've battled in other forums and become close friends.

It uses up some of the day...it is interesting...and it stimulates the mind to think up new insults.

Fun should be had by all...and the ones truly getting rattled probably should be doing something else.

9. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

For the most part...reasonable positions from both sides of the aisle are laid out early in a forum...the first few weeks of participation.

After that...it mostly is the "you spit in my coffee" and I "piss in your coke" kind of thing.

I NEVER take this stuff to seriously...and I have met and had dinner and drinks with people I've battled in other forums and become close friends.

It uses up some of the day...it is interesting...and it stimulates the mind to think up new insults.
    desh (evince) has had some of the most imaginative, I have to admit.
    Fun should be had by all...and the ones truly getting rattled probably should be doing something else.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2018.1 For This Post:

Frank Apisa (07-10-2018), TOP (07-11-2018)

11. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You get off some good zingers, too, Al.

In a different context, I once wrote a variation of, "EVERYBODY wants to write stand-up material."

I still think that is so. I am never happier than when I think up something that make me laugh...except maybe when someone I consider an opponent thinks up something that makes me laugh.

12. #98 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,607 Times in 17,048 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

You want imaginative? Think Desh can top this?

https://www.wishtv.com/national/man-...say/1288695388
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (07-10-2018), TOP (07-10-2018)

14. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    You want imaginative? Think Desh can top this?
    I do.

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...Shit-Desh-says

15. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,220 Times in 2,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 72 Times in 71 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    They didn't like my political comments on golf sites and the like.

Can't say that I blame them.

I'm 71 and should be chilling, but instead, all of my baby-boomer, 60's kid issues are burning me up.

The hardest debates are always with other progressive liberals.

Debate requires stipulation.

If two people want a similar kind of world, they might reasonably debate the means to get there.
    They may get passionate about their views.

Today's conservatives and liberals have absolutely nothing to debate.
    They want to live in totally different worlds.
    If you want totally different things, there's nothing to debate.
    It's us and them, not right and wrong. There's no way to conclude whether chocolate or strawberry ice cream is better. You just go for the one that you want.
    We're no longer political opponents; now we're ideological enemies.

Moderation is for the consumption of adult beverages. Politics are about passion. In a polarized society, the energy is at the poles. Centrism is now irrelevant.

The male anatomy is not designed to be comfortable straddling a fence.

But now, it's worse than ever. I don't speak to people who've been friends for forty or fifty years. I have cousins who are dead to me. Five fellow retirees and I have had a standing breakfast date, once a month, since we retired more than a decade ago. Politics have recently broken it up.

I'm not an Evangelical Christian. I don't believe in salvation by faith alone. That's an excuse to be a bastard in the temporal world.
    People who voted for Trump stuck a rusty dagger in America's liver, and therefore in mine. That's irredeemable. Not for some imaginary afterlife, but for being accepted in decent society right now.

Given all that, why don't you just pack up and move to Venezuela? Why corrupt this nation? What you seek is completely set up for you, so why piss in the punch bowl for normals?

16. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncensored2008 View Post
    Given all that, why don't you just pack up and move to Venezuela? Why corrupt this nation? What you seek is completely set up for you, so why piss in the punch bowl for normals?
    He's not likely to be pissing in anything but Depends at his age, is he?

17. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,386 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

One of my favorite SNL skits; thanks for the smile.

18. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

More than a "golf cheater"...although he is that, Poli.

He is a guy who claims a single digit handicap index...who takes mulligans and turns the ball over rather than play it down.

NO DECENT SINGLE DIGIT HANDICAP...does those things.

And the asshole drives golf carts across greens, because he owns them.
    I was a 4 twenty yrs. ago. Now I play by my own rules.

1. Maximum of 16 clubs allowed. (driver, 3W, 5W, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9i, PW, GW, SW, 60*W, 64*W and putter)
    2. Two balls allowed on the first tee. Player is allowed to use the better of the two.
    3. Player is entitled to an acceptable lie if ball comes to rest in the fairway. E.g., if ball is in a divot player may bump the ball half a card length to a better position in the fairway. This rule also applies to any unacceptable lie in the fairway.
    4. Removing the pin from the hole is optional when putting from the green.
    5. Walking is mandatory unless use of cart is required.
    6. Minimum of one pint of beer must be consumed upon completion of play.
    Last edited by Cancel 2018.1; 07-11-2018 at 12:46 AM.

19. #104 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,607 Times in 17,048 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    At least she doesn't own a firearm...
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

20. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,020 Times in 6,218 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncensored2008 View Post
    I'll take him over the racist, and depraved, Trump supporting assholes, that meandered here from Stormfront, in an instant. Hell, I'd take a thousand of him, over just one of them. Send all the CFM, Text Drivers Are Killers, The Ugly Truth, Praisekek, Truth Detector, types away from this site, and this country, and bring on more of him. He seems disagreeable in some ways, but he's not a festering goiter, of a prejudiced douchebag.