Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 151 to 159 of 159

Thread: Other Forums Sent Me Here.

  1. #151 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    18,640
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Shut up retard. I just said my best friend is a conservative. Go fuck yourself.
    Are they willing to confirm that?

  2. #152 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    63,396
    Thanks
    21,927
    Thanked 14,896 Times in 11,917 Posts
    Groans
    11,134
    Groaned 3,123 Times in 2,952 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I grew up in the 90's.
    You haven't even grown up now!
    In rejecting their view [Spinoza, Leibnitz and Hegel], as I shall contend that we must, we are committing ourselves to the opinion that “truth” in empirical material has a meaning different from that which it bears in logic and mathematics.”

    Bertrand Russell, “An Inquiry Into Meaning & Truth” (1940)

  3. #153 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    50,161
    Thanks
    12,753
    Thanked 15,970 Times in 11,037 Posts
    Groans
    267
    Groaned 1,075 Times in 1,025 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    Your conclusion is not logical. No wonder you flunked out of engineering school.
    Yea so what? That’s just pointing out a limitation of engineers. Logic is a nice tool but it’s no substitute for thinking. Much of nature is illogical and counterintuitive. Quantum mechanics is illogical. So is relativity and try finding logic in biological cascade systems like compliment, blood clotting or cellular metabolism. Good luck with that one. Point being that logic is limited if it leads you to an incorrect conclusion.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

  4. #154 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    17,497
    Thanks
    9,866
    Thanked 4,620 Times in 3,813 Posts
    Groans
    1,242
    Groaned 841 Times in 765 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Yea so what? That’s just pointing out a limitation of engineers.
    Actually, it's pointing out a limitation of Rune.

  5. #155 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    18,640
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    You haven't even grown up now!
    Good point. He's certainly grown up in girth.

  6. #156 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    63,396
    Thanks
    21,927
    Thanked 14,896 Times in 11,917 Posts
    Groans
    11,134
    Groaned 3,123 Times in 2,952 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aloysious View Post
    I like you (so far). I happen to be a libertarian although I'm not in agreement with all their positions. I'm not in agreement with many of the rights' positions. But they are quite tolerant of me here.
    But the left, by and large, seem to me to be completely intolerant of me if I disagree with them on one issue.
    That's why they are called the illiberal Left. Go off message even slightly and they go batshit crazy.
    In rejecting their view [Spinoza, Leibnitz and Hegel], as I shall contend that we must, we are committing ourselves to the opinion that “truth” in empirical material has a meaning different from that which it bears in logic and mathematics.”

    Bertrand Russell, “An Inquiry Into Meaning & Truth” (1940)

  7. #157 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,166
    Thanks
    1,138
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    7
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    That's why they are called the illiberal Left. Go off message even slightly and they go batshit crazy.
    The left has bastardized the term liberal as it applies to politics . They're leftist authoritarians as was pointed out in another thread. There's nothing remotely liberal about them.
    I'm a liberal.

  8. #158 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    316
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    They didn't like my political comments on golf sites and the like.

    Can't say that I blame them.

    I'm 71 and should be chilling, but instead, all of my baby-boomer, 60's kid issues are burning me up.

    The hardest debates are always with other progressive liberals.

    Debate requires stipulation.

    If two people want a similar kind of world, they might reasonably debate the means to get there.
    They may get passionate about their views.

    Today's conservatives and liberals have absolutely nothing to debate.
    They want to live in totally different worlds.
    If you want totally different things, there's nothing to debate.
    It's us and them, not right and wrong. There's no way to conclude whether chocolate or strawberry ice cream is better. You just go for the one that you want.
    We're no longer political opponents; now we're ideological enemies.

    Moderation is for the consumption of adult beverages. Politics are about passion. In a polarized society, the energy is at the poles. Centrism is now irrelevant.

    The male anatomy is not designed to be comfortable straddling a fence.

    But now, it's worse than ever. I don't speak to people who've been friends for forty or fifty years. I have cousins who are dead to me. Five fellow retirees and I have had a standing breakfast date, once a month, since we retired more than a decade ago. Politics have recently broken it up.

    I'm not an Evangelical Christian. I don't believe in salvation by faith alone. That's an excuse to be a bastard in the temporal world.
    People who voted for Trump stuck a rusty dagger in America's liver, and therefore in mine. That's irredeemable. Not for some imaginary afterlife, but for being accepted in decent society right now.
    You claim that debate requires stipulation. You are wrong. Debate requires two sides of the story.

  9. #159 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,121
    Thanks
    144
    Thanked 671 Times in 417 Posts
    Groans
    7
    Groaned 51 Times in 44 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fandango View Post
    You claim that debate requires stipulation. You are wrong. Debate requires two sides of the story.
    Not so.

    There's nothing to debate when you can't agree on what you're going for.

    You must agree on what you're going for and just disagree on how to get there.

    Further, every story doesn't have two sides. If you're arguing that the earth is flat, you don't have a side. You have a psychosis.

Similar Threads

  1. What forums have banned you?
    By Evmetro in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2018, 06:29 AM
  2. my absence from the forums
    By Big Money in forum Introductions, User Announcements, Suggestions and General Board Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-16-2013, 01:28 AM
  3. my absence from the forums
    By Don Quixote in forum Introductions, User Announcements, Suggestions and General Board Discussion
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 04:49 PM
  4. Merging Forums
    By Intersectionality is Fake in forum Introductions, User Announcements, Suggestions and General Board Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 07:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •