Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,767 Times in 7,268 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Default Other Forums Sent Me Here.

They didn't like my political comments on golf sites and the like.

Can't say that I blame them.

I'm 71 and should be chilling, but instead, all of my baby-boomer, 60's kid issues are burning me up.

The hardest debates are always with other progressive liberals.

Debate requires stipulation.

If two people want a similar kind of world, they might reasonably debate the means to get there.
    They may get passionate about their views.

Today's conservatives and liberals have absolutely nothing to debate.
    They want to live in totally different worlds.
    If you want totally different things, there's nothing to debate.
    It's us and them, not right and wrong. There's no way to conclude whether chocolate or strawberry ice cream is better. You just go for the one that you want.
    We're no longer political opponents; now we're ideological enemies.

Moderation is for the consumption of adult beverages. Politics are about passion. In a polarized society, the energy is at the poles. Centrism is now irrelevant.

The male anatomy is not designed to be comfortable straddling a fence.

But now, it's worse than ever. I don't speak to people who've been friends for forty or fifty years. I have cousins who are dead to me. Five fellow retirees and I have had a standing breakfast date, once a month, since we retired more than a decade ago. Politics have recently broken it up.

I'm not an Evangelical Christian. I don't believe in salvation by faith alone. That's an excuse to be a bastard in the temporal world.
    People who voted for Trump stuck a rusty dagger in America's liver, and therefore in mine. That's irredeemable. Not for some imaginary afterlife, but for being accepted in decent society right now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (07-11-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome. It's a shame that you have lost decades of friends and relatives over politics.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Controlled Opposition For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (07-11-2018), TOP (07-09-2018)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,767 Times in 7,268 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Yes, it is, Controlled. I can't disagree.
    But politics decide how we live.

We can each make a sincere, honest evaluation of our respective consciences only to discover that our core values are completely incompatible.
    At that point, the basis for a close relationship simply doesn't exist.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-09-2018)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Yes, it is, Controlled. I can't disagree.
    But politics decide how we live.

We can each make a sincere, honest evaluation of our respective consciences only to discover that our core values are completely incompatible.
    At that point, the basis for a close relationship simply doesn't exist.
    I like you (so far). I happen to be a libertarian although I'm not in agreement with all their positions. I'm not in agreement with many of the rights' positions. But they are quite tolerant of me here.
    But the left, by and large, seem to me to be completely intolerant of me if I disagree with them on one issue.

8. The Following User Groans At Cancel 2018.1 For This Awful Post:

Rune (07-13-2018)

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2018.1 For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (07-09-2018), RB 60 (07-09-2018), ThatOwlWoman (07-09-2018), TOP (07-09-2018), Uncensored2008 (07-10-2018)

10. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

These are the 'PC Fascists', aloysious. You have to toe the Party Line, any deviation form the PC Handbook will result in severe retribution.
    They DON'T believe in Free Speech, they only believe in THEIR speech.

As they goose-step through the streets, you can see the grim looks on their faces, they are on a Crusade.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Cancel 2018.1 (07-09-2018)

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,528 Times in 52,745 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aloysious View Post
    I like you (so far). I happen to be a libertarian although I'm not in agreement with all their positions. I'm not in agreement with many of the rights' positions. But they are quite tolerant of me here.
    But the left, by and large, seem to me to be completely intolerant of me if I disagree with them on one issue.
    I tolerate you just fine. I have to use a bit more air freshener than I prefer, but you're worth it. lol

13. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (07-17-2018)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (07-11-2018), Rune (07-13-2018)

15. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I tolerate you just fine. I have to use a bit more air freshener than I prefer, but you're worth it. lol
    Wishy is all right. Many on the left and right here are driven by anger are incapable of intelligent conversations. Wishy isn’t one of them.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-11-2018)

17. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello aloysious,

I am liberal. I appreciate anybody who can state their position without being offensive. You have been respectful to me, so I appreciate your participation here. My appreciation of others has nothing to do with their political beliefs.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cancel 2018.1 (07-10-2018), Mott the Hoople (07-11-2018)

19. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello aloysious,

I am liberal. I appreciate anybody who can state their position without being offensive. You have been respectful to me, so I appreciate your participation here. My appreciation of others has nothing to do with their political beliefs.
    These political message boards remind me of that old Sat. Nite Live parody of the old CBS show Point, Counterpoint.
    Jane Curtin states her position and Dan Akroyd replies, "Jane, you ignorant slut, " and proceeds to state his position.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2018.1 For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (07-10-2018), PoliTalker (07-11-2018), ThatOwlWoman (07-10-2018)

21. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

These political message boards remind me of that old Sat. Nite Live parody of the old CBS show Point, Counterpoint.
    Jane Curtin states her position and Dan Akroyd replies, "Jane, you ignorant slut, " and proceeds to state his position.
    For the most part...reasonable positions from both sides of the aisle are laid out early in a forum...the first few weeks of participation.

After that...it mostly is the "you spit in my coffee" and I "piss in your coke" kind of thing.

I NEVER take this stuff to seriously...and I have met and had dinner and drinks with people I've battled in other forums and become close friends.

It uses up some of the day...it is interesting...and it stimulates the mind to think up new insults.

Fun should be had by all...and the ones truly getting rattled probably should be doing something else.

22. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,528 Times in 52,745 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

One of my favorite SNL skits; thanks for the smile.

23. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello aloysious,

That was a great schtick.

Summa these boards remind me of John Belushi doing the weather on SNL. He starts off nice and calm. Then he gets increasingly wound up, more and more, until he just goes stark raving bananas and flips over backwards.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

24. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

The left is intolerant? Hey you try going to a NASCAR race wearing an Abbey Hoffman t-shirt and drinking something other than Budweiser than come back here and tell me how intolerant the left is. I’m lucky I excaped with my life.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-11-2018)

26. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's why they are called the illiberal Left. Go off message even slightly and they go batshit crazy.

27. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    That's why they are called the illiberal Left. Go off message even slightly and they go batshit crazy.
    The left has bastardized the term liberal as it applies to politics . They're leftist authoritarians as was pointed out in another thread. There's nothing remotely liberal about them.
    I'm a liberal.