Thread: Largest US Nail Producer Begins Layoffs

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    That's a different set of tariffs, dumb dumb.

We are not likely to sell many cars in Europe anyway. There is no gain there, but a drop in tariffs would be good. I don't see any indication that is what Trump is actually after, though. Instead the idiot is obsessed with the trade deficit and thinks it represents a loss.
    Tariffs are tariffs ffs, the German car industry would not be shitting themselves if Trump hadn't threatened to impose 20% on their cars.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 2,333 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 150 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    I really don't want Trump to reap what he is sowing with his idiotic protectionism, because it's going to be bad and it won't be easy to fix.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...r-layoffs-asks

An executive for the largest U.S. nail producer who voted for President Trump said he is so dismayed by the president's trade policies that he is lobbying a Democratic senator for help.

George Skarich, vice president of sales for Missouri-based Mid Continent Nail Corporation, told The New York Times that his nail company could soon go out of business.

“He ran on ‘Make America Great Again,’ and the point was to defend and protect jobs in the United States,” Skarich told the Times.

“Now here is an action he decides to take that has the potential to cost 500 U.S. citizens their jobs,” he added, referring to the 25 percent tariffs on steel imports that Trump announced in March.

The tariffs, Skarich said, prompted his company to have to raise its prices by almost 20 percent. Skarich told the Times that his company's orders have dropped by half this month, facing stiff competition from cheaper foreign manufacturers.

The company has reportedly cut 60 jobs and might cut up to 200 more in coming weeks. Skarich said he blames Trump for the layoffs.

Because of the tariffs, Skarich said he is lobbying Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill (Mo.) for help.

In March, Trump implemented tariffs of 25 percent on imported steel and 10 percent on imported aluminum. On Friday, he threatened, in a tweet, to unilaterally impose a 20 percent tariff on European cars.
    A tariff is a tax on imports or exports. Money collected under a tariff is called a duty or customs duty. Tariffs are used by governments to generate revenue or to protect domestic industries from competition.

And this guy is lobbying a DEMOCRAT to help stop something that generates revenue for the GOVERNMENT? Wow, is he barking up the wrong tree! And what the hell did this guy do during the recession? Was the housing market so wonderful that people were tripping over each other to buy nails from him? If you leftards would listen, you would know Trump wants the total elimination of tariffs. Doesn't it sound like a good idea to stop paying for china's military?
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

“Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,564 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Germany manufacturers make autos in America. https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...tates-america/

4. The Following User Groans At Nordberg For This Awful Post:

USFREEDOM911 (07-23-2018)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I'm still trying to understand all the people who supported Bernie and are now pro free trade and against tariffs. Is this the ultimate example of I like the policy but don't like who's doing and am therefore against it?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (06-24-2018)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,543 Times in 14,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Oh, my. I need to stockpile nails.....wait, I have a huge bin of nails where all nails go when the boxes fall apart....but then again, you never know when you will need more nails......10 more pounds should do me. I think my Chinese made plastic bin can hold at least that many.
    Nails are one component of building materials, like the canary in the coal mine
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Nails are one component of building materials, like the canary in the coal mine
    Good point. I should also buy a hand planer, a couple more chisels, and whatever else to make old school corners with since the GOP is going to have us living in log cabins soon. I think outhouses would violate my covenants and restrictions, so I probably need to pick up an extra grill to burn me poo.

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

The box supplier for Mid Continent Nail has had to do some layoffs as well, in response to Mid Continent Nail's slowdown. Maybe that is some of the gain stupid Tom thinks we should wait for.

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I'm still trying to understand all the people who supported Bernie and are now pro free trade and against tariffs. Is this the ultimate example of I like the policy but don't like who's doing and am therefore against it?
    I supported Bernie. I like cheap nails. I don't care if they come from China or down the street as long as they work.