Thread: Massive SPLC Settlement Inspires Other Groups To Consider Legal Action

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Default Massive SPLC Settlement Inspires Other Groups To Consider Legal Action

A recent settlement between the Southern Poverty Law Center and Maajid Nawaz and his group, the Quilliam Foundation, a think tank that focuses on counter-extremism in Islam, has inspired approximately 60 groups to potentially take legal action for being falsely named as hate groups.

In 2016, the SPLC published a “Field Guide to Anti-Muslim Extremists,” listing Maajid Nawaz, a practicing Muslim who advocates for intercommunity reform, as extremist. On June 18, 2018, the SPLC president, Richard Cohen published an apology to Nawaz and Quilliam. The “Field Guide” was taken down in 2016.

Many of the “hate groups” listed by the SPLC actually do not encourage hate or violence, but disagree with left-wing political views, such as naming Family Research Council for their support of traditional marriage. As for if the Family Research Council plans on taking action against the Southern Poverty Law Center, “We are reviewing all our legal options,” spokesman J.P. Duffy told PJ Media.

“It’s appalling and offensive for the Southern Poverty Law Center to compare peaceful organizations which condemn violence and racism with violent and racist groups just because it disagrees with their views,” said Jeremy Tedesco, senior counsel at Alliance Defending Freedom, another group that was named by the SPLC. He continued, “That’s what SPLC did in the case of Quilliam and its founder Maajid Nawaz, and that’s what it has done with ADF and numerous other organizations and individuals.”]

The settlement between the Southern Poverty Law Center totalled to about $3,375,000. In addition to the money, SPLC President Richard Cohen also published a public apology to Nawaz, Quilliam, and SPLC readers, which can be watched here. https://lawandcrime.com/lawsuit/mass...-legal-action/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Darth Omar (06-21-2018), Irish Exit (06-20-2018), Minister of Truth (06-20-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

They list my black majority city as a hotbed of Klan activity when I have never even heard of a Klan incident in my city other than some handful of out of state KKK people had a huge march of like 5 people 25 years ago. I know a lot of rednecks but have never met a proper Klansman or even heard of someone being one in my city

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    They list my black majority city as a hotbed of Klan activity when I have never even heard of a Klan incident in my city other than some handful of out of state KKK people had a huge march of like 5 people 25 years ago. I know a lot of rednecks but have never met a proper Klansman or even heard of someone being one in my city
    Aren't tiki torchers a minority group with targets on their backs? This is built for you pard.

5. The Following User Groans At Fentoine Lum For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (06-21-2018)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    Aren't tiki torchers a minority group with targets on their backs? This is built for you pard.
    Once again you make no sense. Dopamine addiction is a disease. You should join a 13 step program.