Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Richmond renaming school after Obama, scrapping Confederate general's name

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm guessing the school is all black?
    (I didn't read the link, it's just a guess. Like naming streets in all black neighborhoods "Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd')
    Yup

And race has everything to do with it.

But the statue stays.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Excellent news.

Great idea to replace a confederate rebel named school with an all American name.

Funny, the discussion about race.

It was the furthest thing from my mind as I read the story.

It's just the right thing to do.

These people fought against the United States.

They should not be rewarded with having public things we all share named after them. Their names belong in the history books, museums and cemeteries, not in our face.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (06-20-2018), ThatOwlWoman (06-19-2018)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

So, schools attended by majority white kids shouldn't be named after a black person of merit?

you are just a racist confederate apologist. Eliminating Jim Crow crap is a good thing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-19-2018)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,396 Times in 53,275 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

So, schools attended by majority white kids shouldn't be named after a black person of merit?
    You have always been good at twisting what is said and pulling your response out of your ass. Dismissed.

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I do not think color has anything to do with this. Anyway, I found this interesting. I once served upon a ship named the Jeb Stuart.
    I think you are wrong about that since the article indicates that the other folks considered were also black, and then a couple generic terms like "Northside".

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,678 Times in 27,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Richmond renaming school after Obama, scrapping Confederate general's name
    Not exactly endearing themselves to Klansmen, NeoNazis, and Republicans, eh?

I have actually always wanted to replace all the confederate rebel statues across the south, with monuments to Generals Sherman, U.S. Grant, and Harriet Tubman.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-20-2018)

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    you are just a racist confederate apologist. Eliminating Jim Crow crap is a good thing.
    OK. Here's the lowdown:

School Board Member Katzgar: Our school is named after a Confederate, we should change it.
    School Board Member Jack: That's a good idea. I second that.
    School Board Member Owl: I agree.

School Board Member Katzgar: This school is doing poorly.
    School Board member Jack: It needs better funding.
    School Board Member Owl: True, it really is a shithole.

School Board Member Katzgar: What if we try to figure out a way to better fund the school?
    School Board Member Jack: I agree with that, it needs better funding.
    School Board Member Owl: Hey, I got an idea, what if we re-name the school after a black person? Then, all the darkies will be up on their chairs singing and chanting' and saying 'Hallelujah' and stuff. It doesn't cost us a penny. I mean ... why piss a bunch of money away on a bunch of negroes, right?

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Not exactly endearing themselves to Klansmen, NeoNazis, and Republicans, eh?
    It's time to endear themselves to the rest of America.

I have actually always wanted to replace all the confederate rebel statues across the south, with monuments to Generals Sherman, U.S. Grant, and Harriet Tubman.
    Not a bad idea.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (06-19-2018)

13. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

Achtung! I generally do not read/respond to half-witted racists, socially inept losers engaging in libel or gossip, & dunces who are just too bloody boring to waste time reading.
    Totally agree with that.

Life is too short.

Friend request sent.

14. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    What difference does that make?
    well, it exposes the move for what it is.
    Pandering

comical really, TRYING to erase history is such a sad thing to be reduced to because you are simply unable to move on
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 25 Posts

OK. I read the article. It IS a black school. It sounded like some kind of 'appeasement', like re-naming streets in black neighborhoods 'Martin Luther King, Jr.'.

Here's the other schools mentioned: "Effective July 1, 2018, A.P. Hill will be renamed Cool Spring Elementary; Robert E. Lee will be renamed Lakemont Elementary; and J.E.B. Stuart will be renamed Pleasants Lane Elementary." This is what is normally done. Naming a school for a street it's on or town it's in.
    Is naming schools after generals who lost a war against our country appeasement?

Should we be naming schools after Cornwallis?

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

it fills my heart with joy to know we will be having multiple Trump high schools and maybe even more Trump universities in the future
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

I am sooo glad I am white, this must be embarrassing for black children to have to watch their parents celebrate these ridiculous appeasement gestures
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Getin the ring,

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post
    well, it exposes the move for what it is.
    Pandering

comical really, TRYING to erase history is such a sad thing to be reduced to because you are simply unable to move on
    How does renaming a school erase history?

It doesn't.

Man, what a made-up SOUND BYTE.

History is not being erased.

History is well-recorded in books, letters, museums, stories, songs, tales, cemeteries and computer memory.

We don't need to glorify REBELS who FOUGHT AGAINST THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA for SLAVERY.

When southern states went on a spree of naming everything after THE REBELS WHO TRIED TO BREAK UP THE UNITED STATES it was like an insolent child throwing a temper tantrum. They couldn't get their way so THEY TRIED TO REWRITE HISTORY as if the south won.

NEWS FLASH: The SOUTH LOST.

They are losers who were broken. They never should have fought against the UNION. They trashed the nation over NOTHING. Slavery was ABOLISHED, as it should have been. It never should have begun.

Slavery was a BLOT ON OUR RECORD of human rights.

History has not been erased.

History teaches us HOW WRONG THE SOUTH WAS.

We are never going back, and those who cling to glorifying the south are harming our nation and causing racism.

Not only the schools, but all the highways, counties, cities, EVERYTHING named after the confederacy should be RENAMED for NICE THINGS like flowers or birds or PEACE and LOVE.

And while we are at it, the National Anthem needs to change. It is wrong for our nation to sing praises to such violence.

'This Land Is OUR Land' would be a FAR BETTER anthem.

And get GOD OUT of the pledge and OFF the MONEY.

ENOUGH!!!

Believers are FREE TO BELIEVE anything they want, but they are OUT OF PLACE to try to make any religion part of our REPUBLIC.

Freedom FROM religion is just as important as freedom OF religion.

To think that the same people who kept slaves called themselves CHRISTIANS is the height of absurdities.

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

OK. Here's the lowdown:

School Board Member Katzgar: Our school is named after a Confederate, we should change it.
    School Board Member Jack: That's a good idea. I second that.
    School Board Member Owl: I agree.

School Board Member Katzgar: This school is doing poorly.
    School Board member Jack: It needs better funding.
    School Board Member Owl: True, it really is a shithole.

School Board Member Katzgar: What if we try to figure out a way to better fund the school?
    School Board Member Jack: I agree with that, it needs better funding.
    School Board Member Owl: Hey, I got an idea, what if we re-name the school after a black person? Then, all the darkies will be up on their chairs singing and chanting' and saying 'Hallelujah' and stuff. It doesn't cost us a penny. I mean ... why piss a bunch of money away on a bunch of negroes, right?

you drunken opioid addled trumpsters do have a hard time with reality dont you.