Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Long commutes

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Lots of ducks, deer, fox, and other wonderful forest creatures...of course we're only about a mile from the woods
    Ride the bikes everywhere....though the afternoon trips haven't been quite as pleasant with this heat....We're on a first name basis at Roll.....lol
    I live on the far west side of Dublin and I’m only a mile from being as far out in the country as where I was raised in West Ohio. I see forest critters in our subdivision all the time. It’s a Deer hunters paradise in Western Ohio.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

TOP (06-20-2018)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,260 Times in 33,910 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,089 Times in 4,704 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I can relate to that. In my situation a voyage around the Cape Horn compared to cruising around the Caribbean.
    Cape Horn, really ugly weather, some of the worst, correct?

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Cape Horn, really ugly weather, some of the worst, correct?
    Known to get a bit bumpy at times...

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I live on the far west side of Dublin and I’m only a mile from being as far out in the country as where I was raised in West Ohio. I see forest critters in our subdivision all the time. It’s a Deer hunters paradise in Western Ohio.
    Yeah but it's still, O H I O.

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    Yeah but it's still, O H I O.
    Your envy is beneath you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

MAGA MAN (06-20-2018)

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Your envy is beneath you.
    LOL!

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,814 Times in 27,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I enjoy commuting on my bicycle. Unfortunately in my current digs I haven’t found a safe route. Winter also has a way of diminishing a scenic drive and after you’ve driven a scenic drive a few hundred times the brain essentially stops noticing it.

So i’ll go with my five to ten minute commute and pocket the money I’d be spending on a car.
    I hope your town gets more bike paths and bike lanes.

We don't have winter here, and I never take the scenery and relative solitude for granted. I am also a morning person, and enjoy the sunrise every day on the way to work. There is magic in a sunrise, chap!

I agree that bike is superior in virtually every way to automobile. What percentage of our lives are spent in those tin cans? Frightening to even think about! My employer started a program to pay people to bike to work, and I was tempted. But, even though I am in reasonably good shape for a dude my age, I think riding into the afternoon headwinds would give me a heart attack!

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

We don't have winter here, and I never take the scenery and relative solitude for granted. I am also a morning person, and enjoy the sunrise every day on the way to work. There is magic in a sunrise, chap!

I agree that bike is superior in virtually every way to automobile. What percentage of our lives are spent in those tin cans? Frightening to even think about! My employer started a program to pay people to bike to work, and I was tempted. But, even though I am in reasonably good shape for a dude my age, I think riding into the afternoon headwinds would give me a heart attack!
    You’ll be fine. Just drop to a lower gear ratio and spin. I once did a two day, 215 mile bike tour that a 90 year old man completed. Half the guys in Masters racing are in their 50’s or 60’s. The important thing is to get a bike suitable for commuting. Buy it from a local bike shop and have them fit you properly. I’d suggest a steel framed touring bike with eyelets for panniers so you can carry shit and high tire clearance so you can add fenders for wet days.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

MAGA MAN (06-21-2018), TOP (06-21-2018)

12. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Also, if you’re commuting over five miles I recommend a modified road bike with drop handle bars and a high spoke count wheels and 25 to 28 ml tires. I do not advise commuting in high traffic except for very short distances. To many assholes who have no compunction about killing you and apathetic police who don’t care if they kill you. If you’re not experienced and don’t know how to ride with the flow of traffic don’t do it. That’s why I stopped. My new digs don’t have a low traffic or low speed route available and no bike lanes. My previous house had safe back roads and residential roads available to get to work.

If you can find a safe route do it. Doing 5 to 10 miles in commuting will keep you reasonably fit and will do wonders for your cardiovascular fitness and keep your weight, blood pressure and blood sugar under control and increase your life expectancy and quality of life.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

MAGA MAN (06-21-2018), TOP (06-21-2018)

14. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I enjoy commuting on my bicycle. Unfortunately in my current digs I haven’t found a safe route. Winter also has a way of diminishing a scenic drive and after you’ve driven a scenic drive a few hundred times the brain essentially stops noticing it.

So i’ll go with my five to ten minute commute and pocket the money I’d be spending on a car.
    I spent a week in Amsterdam last month. Their infrastructure is set up perfectly for commuting by bike, with dedicated lanes, different pavement colors, paths, traffic signals...

Plus, and this is important, bicycles have the right of way over pedestrians.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (06-21-2018)

16. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    I spent a week in Amsterdam last month. Their infrastructure is set up perfectly for commuting by bike, with dedicated lanes, different pavement colors, paths, traffic signals...

Plus, and this is important, bicycles have the right of way over pedestrians.
    Yea I've seen the bicycle traffic jams of Amsterdam. It's the most bicycle friendly city in the world.

17. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

So, in conclusion, bicycles are not actually superior to automobiles.

18. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    So, in conclusion, bicycles are not actually superior to automobiles.
    It depends on the measure. Back in the 80's my boss, then in his late 50's, used to commute with his Buick from his condo in the North End (Boston) to a parking garage one block from our office off of Boston Common, a distance of about a mile, maybe a bit more. His parking space at the condo building cost $150k and he paid $125/ week to the garage. His car ran terrible, and stunk, because it never warmed up enough to heat up the catalytic converters. Between his car insurance, car payment, repair bills, gas, maintenance, and parking costs he would have been far, far better off buying a decent $200 bicycle and commuting that way. On shitty days he could have walked or taken a cab, and rented a car when he wanted to go out of town.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

Minister of Truth (06-21-2018)