Thread: Krugman on the fall of the American empire

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Or they can just move their corporate headquarters to somewhere else......
    Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft, we must let the power structure take us back to sharecropper economics or they'll leave us. You sound like a battered wife.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft, we must let the power structure take us back to sharecropper economics or they'll leave us. You sound like a battered wife.
    Tell us how the basic income guarantee will save us all. That one cracks me up. Another Orwellian corporate subsidy disguised as sticking it to the rich and helping the poor.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Rune,

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    That has nothing to do with labor.
    Labor doesn't design cars, select material quality, or determine marketing direction.
    The Japanese beat us at all those things in the 70's and 80's. Now, it's to the point that a significant part of the price of a Honda is the name recognition.

Germany beat us at that back in the 60's with the Beetle. Nothing we built compared for the price.

Sorry, I just don't believe in American exceptionalism. I think we lucked out greatly from geography and an abundance of natural resources. Sadly, we have allowed capitalism to drive too much of our politics, which has left us with a failed education system. That is hurting our ability to compete with other nations in that area. The US is lagging behind many other nations in STEM. Our imperialism is largely responsible for our economy, but that is gradually slipping away from us. We really need to get our act together, but our dysfunctional politics prevents too much meaningful progress.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Frank Apisa (06-20-2018)

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Rune,

The Japanese beat us at all those things in the 70's and 80's. Now, it's to the point that a significant part of the price of a Honda is the name recognition.

Germany beat us at that back in the 60's with the Beetle. Nothing we built compared for the price.

Sorry, I just don't believe in American exceptionalism. I think we lucked out greatly from geography and an abundance of natural resources. Sadly, we have allowed capitalism to drive too much of our politics, which has left us with a failed education system. That is hurting our ability to compete with other nations in that area. The US is lagging behind many other nations in STEM. Our imperialism is largely responsible for our economy, but that is gradually slipping away from us. We really need to get our act together, but our dysfunctional politics prevents too much meaningful progress.
    LMAO.
    We gave Japan the keys to the Kingdom.
    GM owns part of Toyota.
    Large Toyota vehicles from the sixties and seventies had American. Made v-8 GM engines in them. Bugs and 240-Z
    and little Toyota truck s gained market share after the oil embargo of '73.
    Market timing.
    I own 62 year old BMW. The quality was already higher than anyone else back then. They didn't become better over time, you got what you paid for.
    Regardless of what you say, we are still the world's premier manufactory and AGAIN, American workers have increased productivity every year since the Reagan disaster while wages remained stagnant.

At least give credit where it is due.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

7. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Rune,

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    LMAO.
    We gave Japan the keys to the Kingdom.
    GM owns part of Toyota.
    Large Toyota vehicles from the sixties and seventies had American. Made v-8 GM engines in them. Bugs and 240-Z
    and little Toyota truck s gained market share after the oil embargo of '73.
    Market timing.
    I own 62 year old BMW. The quality was already higher than anyone else back then. They didn't become better over time, you got what you paid for.
    Regardless of what you say, we are still the world's premier manufactory and AGAIN, American workers have increased productivity every year since the Reagan disaster while wages remained stagnant.

At least give credit where it is due.
    By all MEANS! I do. American productivity is stellar.

And yes, the quality of a BMW is very high. Worth the price, but only if you can afford to justify the high price. Marketed toward the rich.

Yes, Americans are more productive than the Germans. Americans work more hours than Germans. We work more hours than the Japanese, too.

Average Annual Hours Actually Worked Per Worker:

Germany.............1288
    Japan.................1726
    US.....................1789

OECD Average......1763

Wiki

Looks like the only thing exceptional about us is that we spend less quality time with our families.

I've made the observation that capitalism has done that to us. Do you concur?

Perhaps you would like to comment on that in my Thread:

Capitalism Has Destroyed / Is Destroying American Family Values
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Frank Apisa (06-20-2018)

9. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Rune,

By all MEANS! I do. American productivity is stellar.

And yes, the quality of a BMW is very high. Worth the price, but only if you can afford to justify the high price. Marketed toward the rich.

Yes, Americans are more productive than the Germans. Americans work more hours than Germans. We work more hours than the Japanese, too.

Average Annual Hours Actually Worked Per Worker:

Germany.............1288
    Japan.................1726
    US.....................1789

OECD Average......1763

Wiki

Looks like the only thing exceptional about us is that we spend less quality time with our families.

I've made the observation that capitalism has done that to us. Do you concur?

Perhaps you would like to comment on that in my Thread:

Capitalism Has Destroyed / Is Destroying American Family Values
    I loved the movie, Moore is brilliant, big fan
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rune For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-20-2018)

11. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

I know a lot of white males who have to see their kids on the weekends and pay for the ex-wife to sit at home and spend the child support and alimony.

THIS IS NOT AMERICA!

12. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello tinfoil,

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    I know a lot of white males who have to see their kids on the weekends and pay for the ex-wife to sit at home and spend the child support and alimony.

THIS IS NOT AMERICA!
    I don't follow.

That is certainly part of America. How can it not be America if it is indeed part of America?

13. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

I see people are still confusing capitalism with consumerism.

14. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Kacper,

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    I see people are still confusing capitalism with consumerism.
    How so?