Thread: Comparing the 'Trump economy’ to the ‘Obama economy’

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,005 Times in 8,032 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,672 Times in 1,550 Posts

Default Comparing the 'Trump economy’ to the ‘Obama economy’

Trump is not only a braggart and a liar, he does them both simultaneously. He lies about his supposed "accomplishments", then brags based on those lies.

Then his useful idiots like the ones around here (you know who you are) pick them up like obedient little puppy dogs fetching a ball, and trot them around the neighborhood, all while conveniently forgetting or purposely ignoring the major contributions of Barack Obama to the improved economy we're enjoying today.

A little breeze of truth and perspective is always a welcome relief to the stench of Trumptardian diarrhea.

Comparing the 'Trump economy’ to the ‘Obama economy’

No, the Trump administration didn't make the economy great again all on its own

Sarah Huckabee Sanders bragged on Twitter about the “booming Trump economy”

but most of the upward economic trends began in the Obama-era.

“Can’t make it up: Obama now wants credit for the booming Trump economy. At least we can all agree the economy is better under President Trump.”

— White House Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, in a tweet, Dec. 10, 2017
    The Trump administration likes to brag about the economy. A lot. During*a Fox News interview with*Laura Ingraham*on Nov. 2, Trump boasted about the economic gains during his first year in office, calling it “one of the greatest [economic revivals] in the history of our country.” He added: “I’m not getting enough credit for it.”

It’s not just Trump who brags.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders rattled off several tweets on Dec. 10, citing a series of one-year economic improvements. Her stats were taken from an editorial in*Investor’s Business Daily*that claims, “Donald Trump’s relentless focus on tax cuts, deregulation and draining the swamp is great for job growth.”

Regular readers of The Fact Checker know we automatically award Two Pinocchios to anyone (editorials included) who gives sole credit to*a president for economic improvements.*That’s because the U.S. economy is complex, and the decisions of companies and consumers often loom larger than the acts of government.

Moreover, it usually takes time and effort for presidential policies to work their way through the country. One year into the presidency, we are probably still feeling the effects of policies laid out by the previous administration. But Sanders*asserts Barack Obama “now wants credit for the booming Trump economy,” arguing that the “economy is better under President Trump.”

Sanders’s comments veer in the direction of opinion, but it is worth asking:*Has Trump singlehandedly hastened an “economic revival” in the United States? Or does Trump’s so-called “booming economy” have roots in the Obama era? Let’s take a look.

The Facts

Jobs

Regular readers of The Fact Checker may remember that we gave Trump*Two Pinocchios*for claiming that he created 1 million jobs just six months into his presidency. The claim was a departure from how other presidents have spoken about job creation. Most give credit to Americans, the economy, or businesses. But Trump takes the credit for himself.

“I’ve created over a million jobs since I’m president,” he bragged in August, while giving remarks about revitalizing U.S. infrastructure.

Since*February, after Trump took office, the economy has gained nearly 1.7 million jobs, according to preliminary data on nonfarm payroll for November. But once again, the job gains are part of a multiyear trend that started in 2010 while Obama was still in office.

Here’s yearly job growth since 2000:

Now, here’s the job growth under Trump compared with the years since 2010, in the same February to November time period. Trump’s numbers look less impressive in context.

The Unemployment Rate

Trump has repeatedly boasted that the “unemployment rate is at a 17-year low,” citing the standard (U-3) unemployment rate from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which hovers around 4.4 percent in 2017. His new-found excitement for the BLS numbers represents*a considerable flip-flop for Trump, who claimed the unemployment rate was “nonsense” prior to his inauguration.

In fact, Trump has called the unemployment figure “fake”*as many as 19 times*before he embraced the numbers as president. And, nearly a year ago, we gave Trump*Four Pinocchios*for claiming “the unemployment figure, as you know, is totally fiction,” during a rally in Des Moines.

Trump inherited low unemployment numbers from Obama. Since 2011, the unemployment rate has steadily declined from a high of 9.6 percent following the Great Recession. It*was 4.8 percent in January, when Trump took the oath of office, and it was*4.1 percent in the December employment report. Below are the yearly averages since 2011.

Let’s also look at another measure of unemployment: The*U-6 unemployment rate, which covers people who have given up looking for a job because of poor economic conditions or people who are employed part-time because they can’t find work in their desired field. Some economists argue the official unemployment rate, which measures people who are actively looking for work, is too narrow. The U-6 figure, in contrast, covers a broader swath of workers.

And once again, since 2011, the U-6 rate has steadily declined.

The Employment to Population Ratio (25-54)

Another indicator of economic health is the employment to population ratio for people in their prime working years. This ratio measures the number of people employed as a share of the population. By narrowing in on people ages 25 to 54 we avoid counting older people who have retired or young people who aren’t working because they are still in school.

In 2017, the employment to population ratio reached 78.5 percent. It’s been on an upward trend since 2011.

The stock market

Just one month into taking office, Trump bragged about the stock market. During a news conference on Feb. 2, he claimed, “the stock market has hit record numbers.”*We’ve pointed out before*that this talking point is a flip-flop for Trump, who dismissed stock-market performance under Obama as a “big, fat bubble” ready to pop. (The U.S. stock market had been rising steadily since March 2009, shortly after Obama took office.)

Trump*routinely cites numbers*from the Dow Jones industrial average, a collection of 30 U.S. “blue-chip” companies. Much of the recent rise in the Dow can be attributed to a single company: Boeing. Over the course of the year, Boeing’s stock is up 82 percent.

Since becoming president, Trump has taken credit for stock market gains he once dismissed.

But when looking at a broader index, Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index, it’s clear U.S. stocks haven’t rallied as robustly as their foreign equivalents. Trump’s been touting the stock market growth since February, but in November the S&P still lagged behind Japan, Germany and the United Kingdom.

In the chart below, the United States is represented by the green line. Japan is yellow. The U.K. is red, and Germany is blue. By December, the United States was performing better than the U.K. and had edged by Germany, but Japan’s index, the Nikkei 225, still claimed the top spot. In any case, the U.S. stock performance mirrors a global rise in stocks, suggesting it is not unique.

GDP Growth

Another one of Trump’s frequent economic boasts is about Gross Domestic Product growth. GDP is the broadest measure of an economy. With each quarterly estimate Trump brags the GDP has grown at never before seen rates.

“We were at 3.2 last quarter, but we were at 3. And to be at 3 with a 1 point, that would have meant we would have hit 4 or thereabouts. And those are numbers that have not been seen for many years,” he said on Oct. 31 after the release of second quarter numbers.

Never mind that most economists think 4 percent growth is unlikely in a developed economy — or that quarterly GDP growth has often topped 3 percent during Obama’s presidency.

Poverty

Trump hasn’t made much of a fuss about poverty during the first year of his presidency, but the poverty rate is the lowest it has been in nearly 10 years. For three consecutive years, 2010–2012, the poverty rate held stable at 11.8 percent. But in 2013 the rate began to decline, ending at 9.8 percent in 2016.

The Pinocchio Test

Sanders suggests that its outlandish to give Obama credit for the current economy, claiming that “we can all agree the economy is better under Trump.” The problem is, Trump’s economy owes largely to trends started in the Obama era. By almost every economic measure, the upward trends Sanders and Trump cite began while Obama was still in office.

We’ve said before that anyone who gives sole credit to a president for economic gains receives an automatic Two Pinocchios, and Sanders claim certainly fits the bill. But, we don’t rate opinions, so we’ll leave it up to the readers to decide.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-19-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

INB4 Denials
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They must be waiting for replies to their emails to Hannity asking him how to respond.

He's probably contacting Rush Limbaugh about it right now, working out the best bullshit spin.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,824 Times in 17,257 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,596 Times in 4,274 Posts

the economy and stock market have merely continued along the one Obama left trump. Trump took credit for both from even before the election. That is what trump does. Anything good that happens belongs to him. any bad is because of someone else, anyone anyone at all. Now the kids being taken from their parents is the Dems fault. How can anyone believe that?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Trump is not only a braggart and a liar, he does them both simultaneously. He lies about his supposed "accomplishments", then brags based on those lies.

Then his useful idiots like the ones around here (you know who you are) pick them up like obedient little puppy dogs fetching a ball, and trot them around the neighborhood, all while conveniently forgetting or purposely ignoring the major contributions of Barack Obama to the improved economy we're enjoying today.

A little breeze of truth and perspective is always a welcome relief to the stench of Trumptardian diarrhea.
    It's weird how in our generation, Republicans try to claim credit for the decent economies Democratic presidents left for them....while Democratic presidents have to clean up the messes left behind by Republican presidents. What are the odds?

In my opinion, few people are despised more in a professional context than the substandard and mediocre who try to claim credit for the work of others. I am periodically amazed at how often I have to smack that crap down. But really when you think about it, Trump has taken stealing, poaching, and appropriating to unprecedented levels, man!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Nomad (06-18-2018)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    the economy and stock market have merely continued along the one Obama left trump. Trump took credit for both from even before the election. That is what trump does. Anything good that happens belongs to him. any bad is because of someone else, anyone anyone at all. Now the kids being taken from their parents is the Dems fault. How can anyone believe that?
    Trumptardian cultists believe whatever their Dear Leader tells them to.

He tells them Vladimir Putin is a nice guy who we should be friends with, and they all line up like ducks in a row quacking about how Putin is a good guy who we should be friends with.

Now Trump is telling them Kim Jong Un is a nice guy who we should be friends with. It won't be long before they are repeating what Trump tells them. That Kim Jong Un is a good guy who we should be friends with.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well, it's been almost 24 hours since I first posted this and from the rwnj Obama hater goofballs it's been nothing but...

Where's Shitin the Ring? Wasn't he/she/it the one demanding to know what Obama did for the economy? So I respond and it's nothing but silence!!!

Typical chickenshit Trumptards.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

We haven't had 3% annual GDP growth since 2005. That is terrible. If someone wants to argue that how we tract GDP is outdated in this day and age I'm open to the argument because I've heard others make it.

I haven't seen one person in this thread address the role of the Fed, QE and their easy money policies and what that has meant for the economy and the stock market. Nor has anyone spoke about what the unwinding of QE that the Fed has undertaken will do going forward.

Instead of just the mindless partisan rancor how about actually discuss what has made the markets move.

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,386 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    It's weird how in our generation, Republicans try to claim credit for the decent economies Democratic presidents left for them....while Democratic presidents have to clean up the messes left behind by Republican presidents. What are the odds?

In my opinion, few people are despised more in a professional context than the substandard and mediocre who try to claim credit for the work of others. I am periodically amazed at how often I have to smack that crap down. But really when you think about it, Trump has taken stealing, poaching, and appropriating to unprecedented levels, man!
    This is what happens when you yourself (i.e. Trump) are lazy, unimaginative, and of inferior intelligence and integrity. The only way to be admired is to convince ppl that the work you stole from someone else is rightfully yours. Fortunately for Trump the country comes with a ready pool of the gullible and stupid who buy into his lies and brags.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (06-19-2018), Nomad (06-19-2018)

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,824 Times in 17,257 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,596 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    We haven't had 3% annual GDP growth since 2005. That is terrible. If someone wants to argue that how we tract GDP is outdated in this day and age I'm open to the argument because I've heard others make it.

I haven't seen one person in this thread address the role of the Fed, QE and their easy money policies and what that has meant for the economy and the stock market. Nor has anyone spoke about what the unwinding of QE that the Fed has undertaken will do going forward.

Instead of just the mindless partisan rancor how about actually discuss what has made the markets move.
    So you want to discuss tariffs and their impact on the economy? How about the breaking of trade agreements ?

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

I love it when retards think a president controls the economy.

Well, I don't really. It is sad. Democrats started this perversion and have been obsessed about it ever since.

Prediction 2020 liberal news: Obama is hailed for the market doing well.

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    So you want to discuss tariffs and their impact on the economy? How about the breaking of trade agreements ?
    You still want to ignore what I brought up because most people don't understand it (nor am I claiming to be some expert on it myself). And ignoring the Fed trying to unwind QE is to ignore interest rate policies and the economic effect it will have. You can't discuss the economy or the markets without discussing those issues.

Tariffs = bad economic policy

Breaking Trade Deals is too general. They need to be discussed on a specific basis.