Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: send immigrants back where they came from !!

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    It's perhaps instructive to consider that - as far as I know - American citizens are not allowed to illegally enter any foreign nation on earth with completing necessary processes, regardless of their stated motivation.
    That is true with the exceptions of force majeure and I think, in some cases, asylum.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    True. I did not suggest they are all eligible for asylum or refugee status, but they appear asking for that status.

U. S. Customs & Border Protection

How Many?

In FY 2017 111,275 individuals were deemed inadmissible compared to 150,825 in FY16, 114,486 in FY15 and 90,601 in FY14.

OFO inadmissibility metrics include: individuals encountered at ports of entry who are seeking lawful admission into the United States but are determined to be inadmissible, individuals presenting themselves to seek humanitarian protection under our laws; and individuals who withdraw an application for admission and return to their countries of origin within a short timeframe."

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration
    Nice link! Thanks!

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    That is true with the exceptions of force majeure and I think, in some cases, asylum.
    I'm not aware of any examples that would sanction an authorized border crossing.

Applying for asylum is one thing, illegal entry is another.

The Vox article that Flush cited did not quantify any numbers of alleged "asylum seekers", did it?

In fact, it contained a link to single case. One.

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Nice link! Thanks!
    It seems to be providing only numbers of applicants who were deemed inadmissible.

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,786 Times in 4,529 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 188 Times in 184 Posts

It seems to be providing only numbers of applicants who were deemed inadmissible.
    True, I couldn't find the number who were admitted. But, all those seeking admission had to be processed and most were put in detention centers while waiting for their decision.

That was to prove my original post which was that many were using legal avenues to seek admission though refugee and asylum status; so, the number is over 100,000.

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Tom McNaught wins the Internet for his response to Paul Ryan's Fathers Day tweet.

Tom McNaught
    ‏ @TomMcNaught1
    Replying to @SpeakerRyan

My heart goes out to Liza, Charlie and Sam as they deal someday with their father’s legacy of empowering a sociopath who destroyed our democracy; who remained silent as children were ripped from their mother’s arms; who tolerated corruption when he had the power to stop it.
    3:47 AM - 18 Jun 2018

Paul Ryan
    ‏Verified account @SpeakerRyan

My life changed the day I became a father. Liza, Charlie, and Sam are my highest priority. Wishing all of the dads out there a happy early #FathersDay

ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

christiefan915 (06-18-2018)

8. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Flush View Post
    True, I couldn't find the number who were admitted. But, all those seeking admission had to be processed and most were put in detention centers while waiting for their decision. That was to prove my original post which was that many were using legal avenues to seek admission though refugee and asylum status; so, the number is over 100,000.
    You'll recall that you made this statement:

Quote Originally Posted by Flush View Post
    Very true, although many of those in detention centers did use the legal avenues appearing at ports of entry asking for asylum or refugee status.
    If the number of asylum seekers was over 100,000, you'd have a point. Is it?

From the site you cited: "inadmissibility metrics include: individuals encountered at ports of entry who are seeking lawful admission into the United States but are determined to be inadmissible, individuals presenting themselves to seek humanitarian protection under our laws; and individuals who withdraw an application for admission and return to their countries of origin within a short timeframe."

"Many" and "most" are somewhat ambiguous, BTW.

9. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
    Tom McNaught wins the Internet for his response to Paul Ryan's Fathers Day tweet. My heart goes out to Liza, Charlie and Sam as they deal someday with their father’s legacy of empowering a sociopath who destroyed our democracy; who remained silent as children were ripped from their mother’s arms; who tolerated corruption when he had the power to stop it.
    Andrés Jiménez was one of hundreds of children whose families were broken under Obama. Did Tom send him a Father's Day message?

Ten-year-old Andrés Jiménez was looking forward to the end of summer. Not because he was particularly eager to return to school, but because the end of summer was meant to be the president’s deadline for taking action on immigration.

But Obama’s deadline came and went, and with it Andrés’s hopes of reuniting his family after his father was wrenched from his life three years ago.

Andrés was seven when his father, after whom he is named, was stopped for driving with an expired licence plate, an event that would unravel the life his parents had worked so hard to build.

At a rally for immigration reform in Washington DC, the young Andrés begged President Barack Obama to take executive action on immigration policy and help reunite families like his own who are torn apart by deportations.

“President Obama, I want to have a family like yours,” Andrés said slowly in Spanish. And then, in a heart-rending moment captured on national television, the young boy broke down in tears as he talks about his father’s deportation.

Andrés said that he cried because he was remembering the day his father was deported.

“They let us hug him and then they took him away,” he said, speaking English. “It makes me sad to think about.”

Obama, facing mounting pressure from his own party, decided to postpone taking the decisive executive action he promised on immigration until after the midterm elections in November, infuriating many reform activists and Latinos.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/oct/15/immigration-boy-reform-obama-deportations-families-separated

Have another drink.

10. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 41,003 Times in 32,308 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,870 Times in 2,757 Posts
    Blog Entries

Andrés Jiménez was one of hundreds of children whose families were broken under Obama. Did Tom send him a Father's Day message?

Ten-year-old Andrés Jiménez was looking forward to the end of summer. Not because he was particularly eager to return to school, but because the end of summer was meant to be the president’s deadline for taking action on immigration.

But Obama’s deadline came and went, and with it Andrés’s hopes of reuniting his family after his father was wrenched from his life three years ago.

Andrés was seven when his father, after whom he is named, was stopped for driving with an expired licence plate, an event that would unravel the life his parents had worked so hard to build.

At a rally for immigration reform in Washington DC, the young Andrés begged President Barack Obama to take executive action on immigration policy and help reunite families like his own who are torn apart by deportations.

“President Obama, I want to have a family like yours,” Andrés said slowly in Spanish. And then, in a heart-rending moment captured on national television, the young boy broke down in tears as he talks about his father’s deportation.

Andrés said that he cried because he was remembering the day his father was deported.

“They let us hug him and then they took him away,” he said, speaking English. “It makes me sad to think about.”

Obama, facing mounting pressure from his own party, decided to postpone taking the decisive executive action he promised on immigration until after the midterm elections in November, infuriating many reform activists and Latinos.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/oct/15/immigration-boy-reform-obama-deportations-families-separated

Have another drink.
    Obama was a bastard for refusing to let Andres' join his father in Mexico........

11. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    Obama was a bastard for refusing to let Andres' join his father in Mexico........
    Did any JPP liberals comment on Obama tearing a child away from his parents?

12. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by qmuddy2 View Post
    south of rio grande !! thank you trump/republicans; i just talked to the manager of a downtown seattle safeway, fairly thick accent, they didn't have little square, 9-volt transistor batteries, she didn't know what they were, i got frustrated and said let me talk to an american, she said she was an american; i chose to get that off my chest; thanks; that saying on the staue of liberty, send me your...; that might have been ok in the late 19th century , but not now !!
    I'm all in if we're gonna start with the euros first, since they made all the rules that fucked this place all to hell.

13. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 313 Times in 276 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    So does that mean Melania Trump would have to leave? She probably would welcome the move
    Leave it to a liberal Democrats to want to get rid of the hot women.

14. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hvilleherb View Post
    Leave it to a liberal Democrats to want to get rid of the hot women.
    White I guess then.

15. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well fuck the liberals, but hey, its the same thing. Doesn't matter who did it. See how that works? Same for Obama taking 2 wars to 7.

But I guess for some people now the kid thing is all ok.

Maybe we oughtta send the kids to Roy Moore's house.

16. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qmuddy2 View Post
    south of rio grande !! thank you trump/republicans; i just talked to the manager of a downtown seattle safeway, fairly thick accent, they didn't have little square, 9-volt transistor batteries, she didn't know what they were, i got frustrated and said let me talk to an american, she said she was an american; i chose to get that off my chest; thanks; that saying on the staue of liberty, send me your...; that might have been ok in the late 19th century , but not now !!
    Boy whenever immigration is mentioned you sure can count on the people with the absolute lowest status and value to our society making their voice heard. Gosh it must suck being so pathetic, given the lot of most immigrants in our country, to actually have our status threatened by them. You poor bastards! LOL

It sure is nice to have an education and marketable skills and not having to live in shit stained fear like you folks. Oh well...I can't relate. Life is to good to be one of you losers. LOL
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Fentoine Lum (06-18-2018)