Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Why do we separate convicted bank robbers from their children?

1. #286 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Which is why I support a change in that law. Pretty simple really. Parents who are being criminally prosecuted for entering the US illegally are separated from their children because they are in custody while the children are not. Because Trump has a policy where those caught crossing will be criminally prosecuted and the law actually defines the children of those being prosecuted in this fashion as "unaccompanied" these kids are temporarily separated from their parent/s while they are prosecuted.

Now, because a first offense is a misdemeanor most of these kids are returned after a short period and they and their parents are deported. Nobody is "losing custody", other than temporarily as would happen if a parent were in custody and a US citizen for a crime that they were arrested for....
    And we should let the govt build a wall around us to protect us from these kids we cage. They may grow up to be MS-13. Fweedumb.

2. #287 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,132 Times in 10,360 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Which is why I support a change in that law. Pretty simple really. Parents who are being criminally prosecuted for entering the US illegally are separated from their children because they are in custody while the children are not. Because Trump has a policy where those caught crossing will be criminally prosecuted and the law actually defines the children of those being prosecuted in this fashion as "unaccompanied" these kids are temporarily separated from their parent/s while they are prosecuted.

Now, because a first offense is a misdemeanor most of these kids are returned after a short period and they and their parents are deported. Nobody is "losing custody", other than temporarily as would happen if a parent were in custody and a US citizen for a crime that they were arrested for....
    The children are NOT in custody? What would you call it, then? Do you really buy the bullshit that they are "unaccompanied"?

As I said, this is not the same situation where a parent is arrested and taken to jail. These detentions are something completely different and there is no reason why families can't be kept together during detention. None

3. #288 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,486 Times in 10,512 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    The children are NOT in custody? What would you call it, then? Do you really buy the bullshit that they are "unaccompanied"?

As I said, this is not the same situation where a parent is arrested and taken to jail. These detentions are something completely different and there is no reason why families can't be kept together during detention. None
    I did not make that law or write that definition, it was signed into law in 1997.

And this is the very reason that there are republicans (including D.J. Trump) working to change it so that these people can be prosecuted while in Administrative custody rather than Criminal custody so they will not be separated from their children during the proceedings.

And yeah, this is exactly that situation. These people are in Federal custody as the AG stated that everybody caught illegally crossing the border would be criminally prosecuted. This is a change from previous practice of simply administratively processing them and then turning them around at the border and only arresting them for criminal prosecution on second entry which is a felony.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Truth Detector (06-20-2018)

5. #289 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Why has Don separated himself from Tiffany.

Does he keep her in a cage?

6. The Following User Groans At Fentoine Lum For This Awful Post:

PostmodernProphet (06-20-2018)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fentoine Lum For This Post:

christiefan915 (06-20-2018)

8. #290 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I did not make that law or write that definition, it was signed into law in 1997.

And this is the very reason that there are republicans (including D.J. Trump) working to change it so that these people can be prosecuted while in Administrative custody rather than Criminal custody so they will not be separated from their children during the proceedings.
    Don isn't working on anything like that at all, Jesus pard, really.

9. #291 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    That's possible. I'm going off of memory on that one, and it could be wrong. I thought I heard a report that he was working with some of the House Rs to change that law to redefine that particular part.

I do know that there are quite a few R Congressmen and Senators working to do just that so that children can remain with their parents while they are in DHS custody during these proceedings. Basically they want it so the zero tolerance policy does what it is doing but without the family separation.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

10. #292 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's possible. I'm going off of memory on that one, and it could be wrong. I thought I heard a report that he was working with some of the House Rs to change that law to redefine that particular part.

I do know that there are quite a few R Congressmen and Senators working to do just that so that children can remain with their parents while they are in DHS custody during these proceedings. Basically they want it so the zero tolerance policy does what it is doing but without the family separation.
    Both houses and the oval office, come the fuck on. "Both" of these clownass parties have had forever to deal with this - the Wall Street/donor/"job creator" class was against it. The people do not matter.

11. #293 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Both houses and the oval office, come the fuck on. "Both" of these clownass parties have had forever to deal with this - the Wall Street/donor/"job creator" class was against it. The people do not matter.
    The reality is, for two years Obama enjoyed the largest majority in both houses I have ever seen in my lifetime and did nothing about this and this particular party currently holding majorities have really barely tried. This is bringing it to a head, which I believe is DJTrump's end game. I think he hopes that it will lead to a larger fix, though I don't think it will. I think it will end with Congress passing changes to the law that allows parents to stick with their kids at family centers while being adjudicated.

Which will still leave much of immigration law broken but at least this practice will end.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

12. #294 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The reality is, for two years Obama enjoyed the largest majority in both houses I have ever seen in my lifetime and did nothing about this and this particular party currently holding majorities have really barely tried. This is bringing it to a head, which I believe is DJTrump's end game. I think he hopes that it will lead to a larger fix, though I don't think it will. I think it will end with Congress passing changes to the law that allows parents to stick with their kids at family centers while being adjudicated.

Which will still leave much of immigration law broken but at least this practice will end.
    Like I said, bipartisan. Always is, the masses must be kept quibbling amongst themselves.

13. #295 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,454 Times in 16,924 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    I am a progressive. I just want to replace the current occupants with NRA members
    NRA members aren't breaking any laws.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

15. #296 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    that's not a legal reason for seeking asylum.
    What are some legal reasons for seeking asylum?

16. #297 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,747 Times in 32,119 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Don is spending taxpayer funding on illegals. We didn't do that before Don. No federal funding went to illegals and we didn't support their kids.

Now we support their kids.

Like dogs, but still.
    wait......are you stupid enough to believe that is true or is this just a pose?........because you are 100% wrong.......

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

18. #298 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Why has Don separated himself from Tiffany.

Does he keep her in a cage?
    lame.....

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

20. #299 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

misdemeanors werent that big a deal were they

21. #300 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

there are two Republican proposals in Congress........he has stated he would sign either one......all we need is ten demmycrats who will vote for it......

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post: