Members banned from this thread: cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Text Drivers are Killers, CFM, Cancel 2018.2, Bigdog, RB 60, TOP, Eagle_Eye, Popeye and Jack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice Requested

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Yes! I harvested lbs of chanterelles last summer. All the preservation stuff I could find on line said that they do not dry well... they turn bitter. So I sauteed them gently till half-done, and put them in small jam jars along with the lovely juice they make while cooking, and froze them. They smell and taste just as good as when fresh-picked.
    That’s a mistake people make when cooking button mushrooms. When you sauté them you need to cook them till they give up their liguid then cook off the liquid and start to caramelise. Otherwise they end up with that slightly bitter tasting and squishy texture that most people find repulsive.

Another simple mushroom pasta recipe is to sauté 8 oz of sliced button mushrooms in a little olive oil till the give up their liguid and begins to caramelize. Then add shallots and garlic and sauté till shallots are translucent add a cup of wine and cook off the alcohol then add a cup or two of your favorite ragu or meat sauce recipe and heat through. Then add about 8 oz cooked linguine and toss then garnish with Parm.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 06-16-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    We've had morels growing in our yard at times. We never knew until or neighbor asked to take a few.
    Dried morels are the absolute best mushrooms. They better be as the sell for around $180 a pound.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Thanks, that's a start. I know I could buy a book but learning from real life ppl who've been there, tried that, thought it was a poor/good idea is better than books even. I did look at some electric dehydrator units on line, and read the reviews, and was surprised that "doesn't make as much noise" is a good thing. What kind of noise could a little heating unit thingie make? Some sort of internal fan? Do the shelves inside rotate?
    I have never seen one advertised that had rotisserie shelving LOL. They do make noise, but unless you sleep in the kitchen, it shouldn't bother you. It is more comparable to the noise a cheapo box fan makes when running on low.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Just home from the lake and just now seeing this post. I have your basic Walmart .... probably a Sunbeam brand dehydrator. I don’t dehydrate many things but we love dehydrated apples and pears. I also like making homemade fruit roll ups out of pear purée. I don’t use ascorbic acid on my dehydrated pears or apples...just slice and put them in the machine. I dehydrate peppers...sweets and jalapeños. Love them. Just dry them in the machine and store them in mason jars in the cabinet. Great for using in cooking. And I make jerky...deer jerky. That’s all I use one for ... but I do use it. If I could harvest wild mushrooms I’d definitely use it for that as well. Morels are super scarce here and I can’t safely identify any other types.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-17-2018)

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    I have never seen one advertised that had rotisserie shelving LOL. They do make noise, but unless you sleep in the kitchen, it shouldn't bother you. It is more comparable to the noise a cheapo box fan makes when running on low.
    Thanks. Our bedroom is upstairs and at the back of the house behind the loft area, so don't think that will be a problem then.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Just home from the lake and just now seeing this post. I have your basic Walmart .... probably a Sunbeam brand dehydrator. I don’t dehydrate many things but we love dehydrated apples and pears. I also like making homemade fruit roll ups out of pear purée. I don’t use ascorbic acid on my dehydrated pears or apples...just slice and put them in the machine. I dehydrate peppers...sweets and jalapeños. Love them. Just dry them in the machine and store them in mason jars in the cabinet. Great for using in cooking. And I make jerky...deer jerky. That’s all I use one for ... but I do use it. If I could harvest wild mushrooms I’d definitely use it for that as well. Morels are super scarce here and I can’t safely identify any other types.
    Thanks! Especially for the pepper idea. I pickle the jalapenos and hot-water bath preserve them; the sweet peppers I usually freeze but don't much like how squishy they get when thawed. Drying sounds perfect.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thanks! Especially for the pepper idea. I pickle the jalapenos and hot-water bath preserve them; the sweet peppers I usually freeze but don't much like how squishy they get when thawed. Drying sounds perfect.
    I just string peppers up and hang them in the sun. I tried smoking peppers but damn...they make you cough way harder then even the best skunk weed

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I pickle some jalapeños as well but I dry most of mine. And yes, drying does away with the squishiness of frozen peppers.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I pickle some jalapeños as well but I dry most of mine. And yes, drying does away with the squishiness of frozen peppers.
    Thanks. I'm going to give that a try as well. I don't eat the hot peppers; they're grown just for my husband. He likes them pickled just fine so if there's a good crop this year I'll have both on hand.