Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Time To Forget About Black Wallstreet & Juneteenth

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 25 Posts

Default It's Time To Forget About Black Wallstreet & Juneteenth

http://www.ebony.com/black-history/t...all-street-405

So a black co-worker of mine told me this weekend he and his family was celebrating something called "Juneteenth" -- I have never heard of this nor did I know this was something that was celebrated. He told me Juneteenth is just a holiday in honor of the African Americans (especially in the southern states), who were given emancipation from slavery in Texas on that day in 1865.

He then went on to tell me that they also use this as an opportunity to memorialize a tragedy that happened back in the 1920's called "Black Wallstreet" -- again, this is something else I never heard about. So I researched for myself -- in summary, Black Wallstreet was a predominately black district (about 40 square blocks) in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was considered one of the wealthiest districts in the state, definitely among the wealthiest black districts in the country -- equipped with their own schools, hospitals, an airport and the biggest church in the city.

Ultimately the whole area was reduced to rubble during a riot where over 300 black folks were murdered, 1300 homes destroyed, 150 businesses burned down, that big church also was burned down -- 9000 other black folks were left homeless and lived in tents into the winter -- 6000 more black folks were arrested. I was told this was the first time that US planes were used to drop incendiary devices on their own citizens.

One eyewitness wrote: “I could see planes circling in mid-air. They grew in number and hummed, darted and dipped low. I could hear something like hail falling upon the top of my office building. Down East Archer, I saw the old Mid-Way hotel on fire, burning from its top, and then another and another and another building began to burn from their top,” wrote Buck Colbert Franklin (1879-1960).

While reading all this I was puzzled as to why would black people even want to remember something like this? Why remember a riot in which you burned down your own neighborhood, killed your own people, and even attacked the white people who were there to help you? Why would they continue to celebrate Juneteenth? When most of them are still on the same plantations that Lincoln freed them from -- I then realized, blacks' propensity to always want to remember tragedies that they inflicted on themselves is something you can't make them stop doing. I definitely won't be celebrating Juneteenth.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rhym3pays For This Post:

Jack (06-14-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhym3pays View Post

So a black co-worker of mine told me this weekend he and his family was celebrating something called "Juneteenth" -- I have never heard of this nor did I know this was something that was celebrated. He told me Juneteenth is just a holiday in honor of the African Americans (especially in the southern states), who were given emancipation from slavery in Texas on that day in 1865.

He then went on to tell me that they also use this as an opportunity to memorialize a tragedy that happened back in the 1920's called "Black Wallstreet" -- again, this is something else I never heard about. So I researched for myself -- in summary, Black Wallstreet was a predominately black district (about 40 square blocks) in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was considered one of the wealthiest districts in the state, definitely among the wealthiest black districts in the country -- equipped with their own schools, hospitals, an airport and the biggest church in the city.

Ultimately the whole area was reduced to rubble during a riot where over 300 black folks were murdered, 1300 homes destroyed, 150 businesses burned down, that big church also was burned down -- 9000 other black folks were left homeless and lived in tents into the winter -- 6000 more black folks were arrested. I was told this was the first time that US planes were used to drop incendiary devices on their own citizens.

One eyewitness wrote: “I could see planes circling in mid-air. They grew in number and hummed, darted and dipped low. I could hear something like hail falling upon the top of my office building. Down East Archer, I saw the old Mid-Way hotel on fire, burning from its top, and then another and another and another building began to burn from their top,” wrote Buck Colbert Franklin (1879-1960).

While reading all this I was puzzled as to why would black people even want to remember something like this? Why remember a riot in which you burned down your own neighborhood, killed your own people, and even attacked the white people who were there to help you? Why would they continue to celebrate Juneteenth? When most of them are still on the same plantations that Lincoln freed them from -- I then realized, blacks' propensity to always want to remember tragedies that they inflicted on themselves is something you can't make them stop doing. I definitely won't be celebrating Juneteenth.

You not knowing about stuff isn't surprising in the least

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

evince (06-14-2018), ThatOwlWoman (06-14-2018), Zarathustra (06-14-2018)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

WHO?
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,406 Times in 53,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Poor Katrina.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

Why are you race-baiting so hard? You sound like one of those neo-confederate retards.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zarathustra For This Post:

evince (06-14-2018)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

"The Tulsa race riot, sometimes referred to as the Tulsa massacre,[2][3][4][5] Tulsa pogrom,[6][7][8] or Tulsa race riot of 1921, took place between May 31 and June 1, 1921, when a white mob attacked residents and businesses of the African-American community of Greenwood in Tulsa, Oklahoma.[1] This is considered one of the worst incidents of racial violence in the history of the United States.[9] The attack, carried out on the ground and by air, destroyed more than 35 blocks of the district, at the time the wealthiest black community in the U.S.

More than 800 people were admitted to hospitals and more than 6,000 black residents were arrested and detained, many for several days.[10] The Oklahoma Bureau of Vital Statistics officially recorded 39 dead, but the American Red Cross estimated 300."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot

Thanks for the post, 3pays.

#Remember Waco ... never know when it's your turn?

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"Some black people claimed that policemen had joined the mob; others said that National Guardsmen fired a machine gun into the black community and a plane dropped sticks of dynamite.[12] In an eyewitness account discovered in 2015, Greenwood attorney Buck Colbert Franklin described watching a dozen or more planes, which had been dispatched by the city police force, drop burning balls of turpentine on Greenwood's rooftops.[13]

Many survivors left Tulsa. Both black and white residents who stayed in the city were silent for decades about the terror, violence, and losses of this event. The riot was largely omitted from local and state, as well as national, histories: "The Tulsa race riot of 1921 was rarely mentioned in history books, classrooms or even in private. Blacks and whites alike grew into middle age unaware of what had taken place."[14]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot

Brother Bourbon, '3pays' may be doing all of us a favor.
    Obviously, Sister Owl, a PC Fascist and government stooge, can't see past her nose, so as usual, nothing is expected of her.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,767 Times in 27,241 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

it was white people who burned it asshole

12. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-14-2018)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,767 Times in 27,241 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    it was white people who burned it asshole
    I believe '3pays' is fucking with the Drones. Don't be a Drone, evince.
    It's perfectly natural for the PC Fascist and government stooge Owl to be brain dead, I expect more from you.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,028 Times in 6,222 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Why are you race-baiting so hard? You sound like one of those neo-confederate retards.
    It's a type of trolling, done to portray a certain side of the aisles bottom scrum.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jade Dragon For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-14-2018)

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    It's a type of trolling, done to portray a certain side of the aisles bottom scrum.
    Were you aware of the Tulsa Riot of 1921? I think it is a device to educate people on something not well known. ... just an opinion.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,406 Times in 53,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    And if there's anyone who knows trolling, it's Katrina Jack.

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Pumpkin.

It's a historical event that has almost been forgotten. '3pays' is bringing it to the attention it deserves. Read the article if you want to inform yourself.

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,028 Times in 6,222 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Pumpkin.

It's a historical event that has almost been forgotten. '3pays' is bringing it to the attention it deserves. Read the article if you want to inform yourself.
    Someone just bringing it to attention wouldn't add the racist comments. Don't you agree?