Thread: Which book is inspiring you more?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Which book is inspiring you more?

Reading and writing are life skills that everyone should have the opportunity to learn.. I really like to reading and I kept my focus on dissertation writing for academics purpose. I like to read historical content very much. Which historical book is more like you? Which politician's or social worker's book inspired you a lot?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

I would say Machiavelli’s the Prince. One of the most difficult things I had to learn upon leaving academia was all the god awful bad habits about writing that I learned there. What use is writing if it’s only available to a small audience? I had to learn not to use jargon and not hide behind it. That conversational and descriptive language are for more affective forms of communication and recognizing the value of subjective writing in its time and place.

If one attempted a dissertation or treatise using Machiavelli’s conversational style in which using simple language to communicate profound ideas even if it were a masterpiece like The Prince you’re dissertation would not only be rejected but you would probably be asked to leave the program.

Academic writing has its time and place and is particularly important to learn for peer review purposes but one would be wise to unlearn the bad habits instilled by academic prose as quickly as possible upon entering the real world if you need to communicate your ideas to a broader audience. Otherwise no one will read your writing.

It is an important and hard learned lesson I had drilled into me that you haven’t truly mastered a concept or idea unless you can communicate it simply enough for even a child to understand. Therefore I had to spend a considerable amount of time unlearning what I learned in academia.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 06-13-2018 at 09:48 AM.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

TOP (06-13-2018)