Thread: Most Conservatives Still Believe The Civil War Wasn't Over Slavery

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rhym3pays View Post
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...des-americans/

So after 150 years, the majority of conservatives still believe the Civil War wasn't over slavery?

Why is this? Why do they believe the "States Rights" claim is sufficient enough to shield them from the fact that -- those states rights were those states preserving the right to maintain slavery -- so either way you slice it, the civil war was over slavery -- whenever I see a conservative twisting themselves into pretzels to claim otherwise --- it makes their subsequent claims of not being racist look foolish.

Next time conservatives want to pretend that the Civil War wasn't over slavery -- they better travel back in time and tell all of those southern states to stop telling everyone it was over slavery
    The War of Northern Aggression may have been motivated by slavery for the invading forces, but to the real Americans, it was about Yankee Go Home.

2. The Following User Groans At Irish Exit For This Awful Post:

Nordberg (06-15-2018)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Oops. What happened to your racist persona? Did you forget which sock you are using, again?
    I knew he was one of yours, lol.
    Every life matters

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhym3pays View Post
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...des-americans/

So after 150 years, the majority of conservatives still believe the Civil War wasn't over slavery?

Why is this? Why do they believe the "States Rights" claim is sufficient enough to shield them from the fact that -- those states rights were those states preserving the right to maintain slavery -- so either way you slice it, the civil war was over slavery -- whenever I see a conservative twisting themselves into pretzels to claim otherwise --- it makes their subsequent claims of not being racist look foolish.

Next time conservatives want to pretend that the Civil War wasn't over slavery -- they better travel back in time and tell all of those southern states to stop telling everyone it was over slavery
    So?

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,429 Times in 53,293 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    I knew he was one of yours, lol.
    If you mean by "one of yours" -- someone from Amazon, you would be 100% correct! He's a sock of Jack, who pretends (for now) to be a liberal here.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zymurgy View Post
    "we" bwahahaha. idiot

you didn't actually reply to the point. The war was fought over leaving or not leaving. Troops marched south to prevent leaving. shots were fired to signal the full intent to leave. Everything was about leaving vs not leaving. That was the reason for war.
    Troops didn't march down until America was attacked. Some people (not southerners) consider it an egregious act of war when America is attacked.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,556 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 217 Times in 212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    America was attacked by Confederate troops. We didn't just march down and start attacking for no good reason.
    did they march down because of slaves, or because they were leaving the union?

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Troops didn't march down until America was attacked. Some people (not southerners) consider it an egregious act of war when America is attacked.
    More obfuscation to avoid the actual point - and I know why. What I'm saying is axiomatic.

Was "America Attacked" to defend a right to slaves, or to defend a right to secession is the simple question.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zymurgy For This Post:

MAGA MAN (06-16-2018)

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I understand the libs argument. Here's mine: the VAST majority of men who fought(and died) for the Confederates owned no slaves. So to say they were fighting for something they literally never had is a stretch to say the least.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Joey Jojo For This Post:

MAGA MAN (06-16-2018)

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

More obfuscation to avoid the actual point - and I know why. What I'm saying is axiomatic.

Was "America Attacked" to defend a right to slaves, or to defend a right to secession is the simple question.
    Nope, America was attacked, and that act of war is the reason/cause for the so-called Civil War. Neither slavery nor secession could have dragged America into such a war.

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nope, America was attacked, and that act of war is the reason/cause for the so-called Civil War. Neither slavery nor secession could have dragged America into such a war.
    You keep saying America - but those that ordered the attack considered America to be dissolved as secession had already happened. The fight was over the right to that secession.

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
    Bring it to my House and we end this once and for all ...
    I used to be a bouncer. I've seen lots of drunks like you. You take a swing, miss, do a pirouette and fall on your ass, or better yet, your face.
    Have another drink.

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Jojo View Post
    I understand the libs argument. Here's mine: the VAST majority of men who fought(and died) for the Confederates owned no slaves. So to say they were fighting for something they literally never had is a stretch to say the least.
    This. Political and financial power was held by a tiny minority of wealthy families and their Democrat politician minions. They created the meme: "The War of Northern Aggression", convincing the common Southerner to fight for the right of self-determination. The War was thus one for slavery by the minority, and for self-determination for the majority. For the educated Officer class, it was merely a required duty.

Then as today, The Democrat Party is the true enemy of America and has no concern over the fate of blacks, the poor, and especially the military.

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You keep saying America - but those that ordered the attack considered America to be dissolved as secession had already happened. The fight was over the right to that secession.
    Those who ordered the attack considered themselves to be a new country—the CSA. On that, I agree with them. The war was between America and Confederacy—not Union and South. The war was fought because the CSA attacked America. Had it been about secession, America would have had to fire the first shot.

17. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    This. Political and financial power was held by a tiny minority of wealthy families and their Democrat politician minions. They created the meme: "The War of Northern Aggression", convincing the common Southerner to fight for the right of self-determination. The War was thus one for slavery by the minority, and for self-determination for the majority. For the educated Officer class, it was merely a required duty.

Then as today, The Democrat Party is the true enemy of America and has no concern over the fate of blacks, the poor, and especially the military.
    Owning slaves was a sign of wealth, the same as owning a new car or a house. Something you plan to do someday when you can afford to. Also, per the secession documents, it was about the principle of keeping the black race in its place more so than the institution itself.

18. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

The only reason that the slavers wanted to set up an independent State was to keep slavery. Everyone knew, and everyone knows that. Two of my Wife's Chartist family went over to join the Union Army to fight for the Liberation, and they had a series on Sianel Pedwar Cymru a few years back composed of letters by 'Welsh'-speaking soldiers (Cymry Cymraeg), and it was very clear they knew what it was all about. It's like the Nazis doing the murder-camp denial bit.