Members banned from this thread: Jarod, evince, Leonthecat, domer76 and archives

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ohio inactive voter purge criteria upheld by SCOTUS

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdberg View Post
    Which is it 2 or 6? I know it is 2 .If they waited 6 years to send the notices, you would be right.
    Did you read the article linked in the OP?

The court ruled 5-4 that Ohio did not violate federal laws by purging voters who failed to vote for six years and did not confirm their residency. Ohio has the strictest such law in the nation.

The ruling protects similar laws in six states, including several electing governors or U.S. senators this fall. They are Pennsylvania, Georgia, Oregon, Oklahoma, West Virginia and Montana. Justice Samuel Alito noted in his majority opinion that about one in eight voter registrations in the USA are invalid or inaccurate. He said failing to vote cannot be the sole reason for purging voters, but Ohio "removes registrants only if they have failed to vote and have failed to respond to a notice."

Under federal laws enacted in 1993 and 2002, states cannot remove voters from registration lists because of their failure to vote. But they can do so if voters don't respond to confirmation notices.

"A state violates the failure-to-vote clause only if it removes registrants for no reason other than their failure to vote," Alito said. By contrast, he said, Ohio waits six years before removal, following federal law "to the letter."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/06/11/supreme-court-states-purge-voters-who-dont-vote/587316002/

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,565 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Lets simplify it for you. Why is there a need to purge voters at all.? That is easy. it gets rid of potential Dem voters. Who is hurt if they sit idle on the rolls? Nobody. Why do Repubs see it as a problem? it is because they are neat, and just like the roll cleaned up? Who would buy that? This is fucking political.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Lets simplify it for you. Why is there a need to purge voters at all.? That is easy. it gets rid of potential Dem voters. Who is hurt if they sit idle on the rolls? Nobody. Why do Repubs see it as a problem? it is because they are neat, and just like the roll cleaned up? Who would buy that? This is fucking political.
    Cry harder for me bitch. Let’s get those voter rolls cleaned up

You should have had a better candidate in 2016

Suck it

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,565 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

[QUOTE=I Love America;2421642]Cry harder for me bitch. Let’s get those voter rolls cleaned up

Suck it[/QUOTE Typical Trumplestilkskin. What do we gain by cleaning up those dirty rolls? I guess you discovered that dead people don't come back and tell the election comm. to take Their names off. But then dead people don't vote either. This is manufactured for one reason, to stop likely dems from voting. Cheating people out of their right to vote.is honorable when it does that.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    My minority-majority city updates its voter rolls. They must be racists!!!!!!!! in your mind.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Nordberg;2428044]
    Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post

Suck it[/QUOTE Typical Trumplestilkskin. What do we gain by cleaning up those dirty rolls? I guess you discovered that dead people don't come back and tell the election comm. to take Their names off. But then dead people don't vote either. This is manufactured for one reason, to stop likely dems from voting. Cheating people out of their right to vote.is honorable when it does that.
    How is it "cheating" anyone from voting?
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    https://usat.ly/2sXnE4I

Don't vote for 6 years and fail to respond to requests to confirm residency has been upheld as valid by the highest court in the land.
    Nothing but common sense but lefties will be whining most terribly over this one.
    LOL

Most states have purge criteria for voter registration rolls... What are you yammering about?

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdberg View Post
    Lets simplify it for you. Why is there a need to purge voters at all.?
    So they "sit idle on the rolls"?

Guess what? It's the law in Ohio and six other states. The Supreme Court has ruled.

Don't like it? Too bad.

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post

Suck it

Their loss to Trump even made them start to cry about the Electoral College, didn't it?

They - and Hillary - refuse to take responsibility for their own failure and blame "cheating", Russians," "Bernie," "misogyny" etc.

Hilarious.

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Did you read the article linked in the OP?

The court ruled 5-4 that Ohio did not violate federal laws by purging voters who failed to vote for six years and did not confirm their residency. Ohio has the strictest such law in the nation.

The ruling protects similar laws in six states, including several electing governors or U.S. senators this fall. They are Pennsylvania, Georgia, Oregon, Oklahoma, West Virginia and Montana. Justice Samuel Alito noted in his majority opinion that about one in eight voter registrations in the USA are invalid or inaccurate. He said failing to vote cannot be the sole reason for purging voters, but Ohio "removes registrants only if they have failed to vote and have failed to respond to a notice."

Under federal laws enacted in 1993 and 2002, states cannot remove voters from registration lists because of their failure to vote. But they can do so if voters don't respond to confirmation notices.

"A state violates the failure-to-vote clause only if it removes registrants for no reason other than their failure to vote," Alito said. By contrast, he said, Ohio waits six years before removal, following federal law "to the letter."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/06/11/supreme-court-states-purge-voters-who-dont-vote/587316002/

I think Georgia purges the voter rolls in 2 years rather than 6..

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Their loss to Trump even made them start to cry about the Electoral College, didn't it?

They - and Hillary - refuse to take responsibility for their own failure and blame "cheating", Russians," "Bernie," "misogyny" etc.

Hilarious.
    In 2012 Trump ranted and raved against the Electoral College.. He wanted to do away with it and just go with the popular vote.

12. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by krudzu View Post
    So?

Poor krudzu.

13. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by krudzu View Post
    In 2012 Trump ranted and raved against the Electoral College.. He wanted to do away with it and just go with the popular vote.
    So?

Poor krudzu.

14. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    why not one?......to purge the voter list simply means to remove people who no longer allowed to vote.....for example dead people and those who have moved somewhere else.......give me one good reason why they should NOT be removed from the list........

15. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Good for them.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.