Thread: In New York, Push to Bypass Trump’s Pardon Power Gains Traction

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,654 Times in 4,435 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yaya View Post
    How so?
    Because it does not meet the definition of either.

2. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Does it matter if treason was committed?
    Yes. Nobody should be punished for a crime unless he is convicted for that crime.

3. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Because it does not meet the definition of either.
    How so? I've given numerous detailed posts on why it does and this is all you have?

4. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,732 Times in 14,328 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,386 Times in 1,304 Posts

Show me. Enough of your childish conclusory statements. Be a grown up and explain something for once in your life, unless you are indeed a fourth grader.
    Read the thread
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

5. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,732 Times in 14,328 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,386 Times in 1,304 Posts

Yes. Nobody should be punished for a crime unless he is convicted for that crime.
    So why are you presenting hypotheticals?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

6. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Read the thread
    Ha ha, still nothing....

Buh bye

7. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Looks like the NY State Legislature is preparing to make sure Trump can't use his pardon power to circumvent justice, by making it possible to prosecute him and his cronies under state law which, after they amend their double jeopardy law, won't be subject to any federal pardons Trump might offer his partners in crime in order to keep them from flipping for Mueller.

This will be good news for anyone who loves America, respects the law and the equal application of it for everyone and wants to ensure that the concept of justice for all prevails.

Surprise? Is it any surprise that once again communist liberals are attempting to make the US CONTITUTION "null and void"? But, I for one would most like to see the required "amendment of the constitution" that authorizes any state to ignore the US CONSTITUTION. Common law is calibrated by the Constitution not the inversion. The President has the constitutional authority to pardon anyone for any federal crime except impeachment....which in reality is not a federal crime as congress has no authority to convict anyone of a crime. Congress may legislate the law...but enforcement is the responsibility of the executive branch and its CEO the POTUS, thus...…..the very reason all federal police forces reside under the direct control of executive authority.

It would be an enjoyable thing to watch this play out in SCOTUS.....if the democrats actually had the power to impeach TRUMP....but sadly it takes a supermajority ratification from the legislative branch to impeach anyone. I predict the 2018 midterms will once and for all end the democrat dream of a Trump impeachment and a SWAMP coup de'tate overthrow of a dully elected POTUS. The writing is on the wall when one looks at the BLUEST STATE in the UNION (California) and its latest election results. Game Over. Everyone votes with their wallet....a vibrant economy is the headstone marker for this attempted left wing Bolshevik revolution. The liberals maintain power by keeping the poor.....POOR, thus inciting class warfare. What happens when the POOR begin to better themselves? LEFT WING PANIC. As Mr. Reagan once said, "The best social program is a paying JOB not a handout."
    Last edited by Ralph; 06-12-2018 at 05:41 AM.

8. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Yea...but in this case, trump's campaign worked directly with Russians in order to overthrow our govt.

Nothing major.

I don't suppose in num-nut world there would be even a smidgen of proof to such a serious charge.
    anything?
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

Truth Detector (06-12-2018)

10. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Like I said, you don't even know what this thread is about. In NY they cannot because they made more stringent DJ laws to protect their citizens, but now solely because of Trump they want to rescind those protections.
    I'll second that we have no idea what this thread is even about.

In order for this "pardon" conversation to even exist I think we would first have to hear a hypothesis of a CRIME,

2 years later and the nothing burger is still in the oven, peek in and see how it's looking.

Still nothing? I bet.
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

12. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So why are you presenting hypotheticals?
    I was replying to your hypothetical:

"Let me ask you this. Should someone who committed treason, be exempt from paying for that crime because he did so in collusion with a POTUS who can pardon them?"

13. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Surprise? Is it any surprise that once again communist liberals are attempting to make the US CONTITUTION "null and void"? But, I for one would most like to see the required "amendment of the constitution" that authorizes any state to ignore the US CONSTITUTION.
    No state is ignoring the Constitution or making it null and void. The Constitution allows a person to be prosecuted under both federal and state law. NY law does not permit that and is changing its law to allow it--that makes it like most other states.

14. #192 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No state is ignoring the Constitution or making it null and void. The Constitution allows a person to be prosecuted under both federal and state law. NY law does not permit that and is changing its law to allow it--that makes it like most other states.
    Ex post facto

Bill of attainder

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2018.2 For This Post:

16. #193 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

How so? I've given numerous detailed posts on why it does and this is all you have?
    Yes, I've read your detailed posts trying to convince us it does, but I don't accept your distortion of the law. NY is not passing a law making something a crime after a person committed that act and they are not punishing a person or group by legislative act. The result may be to allow a certain group to be punished, but only by the justice system if they are found guilty and not by the law itself. And, it does not just apply to one group or person but to everyone.

You seek to interpret the Constitution to get the results you desire. I doubt this even becomes an issue.

17. #194 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, I've read your detailed posts trying to convince us it does, but I don't accept your distortion of the law. NY is not passing a law making something a crime after a person committed that act and they are not punishing a person or group by legislative act. The result may be to allow a certain group to be punished, but only by the justice system if they are found guilty and not by the law itself. And, it does not just apply to one group or person but to everyone.

You seek to interpret the Constitution to get the results you desire. I doubt this even becomes an issue.
    LOL, keep on believing that.

18. #195 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ex post facto

Bill of attainder
    Those are still prohibited in every state so nobody has ignored the Constitution.

What act was made illegal that is being used to prosecute a person he committed that act?