Thread: Garden...

1. #631 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Yes, that's L. japonica... good eye! It's unlikely to become invasive here due to the extreme climate and our chewy friends, the deer. I brought some rooted cuttings with us when we moved, but it didn't survive. You're right -- it's best grown in a pot just in case! Plus the pot can be moved into shelter for the winter. I also grow sweet grass (Hierochloe odorata) in a pot because it, too, can get into your gardens and take over even though it is a native grass. He also goes into the greenhouse in the winter, and makes it smell heavenly when he wakes up in the spring. His native name is wiingashk and he is one of the four sacred plants of the Ojibwe.
    Not heard of that grass..... SOunds interesting..

Funny I was reading that the deer just starting browsing the honey suckle a few years ago, but once it gets to a certain height (growing up a tree as an example) they don't bother it..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #632 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Not heard of that grass..... SOunds interesting...
    Sources say that it has a scent like vanilla, but it doesn't smell that way to me. When it's dried the scent is even more intense. One of my profs brought some tiny birch baskets to class that her grandmother had made 20+ years ago. They were decorated with strawberries using dyed porcupine quills. Around the edges of the lids her nookomis had sewn down sweet grass. Even after all those years, you could still smell it! I braid it and have it around the house for its scent and its spiritual essence.

Funny I was reading that the deer just starting browsing the honey suckle a few years ago, but once it gets to a certain height (growing up a tree as an example) they don't bother it..
    Too much trouble? They do the same thing with a lot of trees here like the white cedars and hemlocks. If the trees can manage to escape the teeth, they'll live for hundreds of years.

I'm excited about this fall semester! We went to a town-sized rummage sale a few weekends ago. One place we went the lady said that her husband is a prof at NMU, teaches botany. Got to talking to her about that. She told me that one class he teaches is called "Boreal Flora" and it's all about the various plants and trees that grow here. Right up my interest alley. So I tried to sign up for it when we got home, and the system kicked me out because it said that I don't have the pre-reqs. Emailed the prof, told him the dilemma, he did an override and I'm taking it this fall! It's a dream come true. Have always thought how cool it would be to go on hikes with a learned person, who would point out the various plants/trees and their names and history. Like having a living field guide at your side.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Bill (07-06-2019), christiefan915 (07-20-2019), Life is Golden (07-07-2019)

4. #633 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sources say that it has a scent like vanilla, but it doesn't smell that way to me. When it's dried the scent is even more intense. One of my profs brought some tiny birch baskets to class that her grandmother had made 20+ years ago. They were decorated with strawberries using dyed porcupine quills. Around the edges of the lids her nookomis had sewn down sweet grass. Even after all those years, you could still smell it! I braid it and have it around the house for its scent and its spiritual essence.

Too much trouble? They do the same thing with a lot of trees here like the white cedars and hemlocks. If the trees can manage to escape the teeth, they'll live for hundreds of years.

I'm excited about this fall semester! We went to a town-sized rummage sale a few weekends ago. One place we went the lady said that her husband is a prof at NMU, teaches botany. Got to talking to her about that. She told me that one class he teaches is called "Boreal Flora" and it's all about the various plants and trees that grow here. Right up my interest alley. So I tried to sign up for it when we got home, and the system kicked me out because it said that I don't have the pre-reqs. Emailed the prof, told him the dilemma, he did an override and I'm taking it this fall! It's a dream come true. Have always thought how cool it would be to go on hikes with a learned person, who would point out the various plants/trees and their names and history. Like having a living field guide at your side.
    Yea, I wonder why they did eat it before?? They aren't very picky & it does have some toxins, maybe more deer, less choices??

Yes, that would be very nice to know more about what you see.. I hike w/ some & they can be overwhelming, like, I hope there aint a test when we get back to the cars.lol

But it's great if you have questions.. & lots of them are edible & the Native Americans used them for various purposes..

I also hike w/ a couple geologist & it is very interesting as well, especially up in the high country.. If there is a Sierra club in your area doing hikes you should check them out, lots of times they have lots of knowledge & are eager to share..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

5. #634 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I also hike w/ a couple geologist & it is very interesting as well, especially up in the high country.. If there is a Sierra club in your area doing hikes you should check them out, lots of times they have lots of knowledge & are eager to share..
    Oh, and that's another one! Imagine hiking with a geologist who could tell you all about the formations, layers, individual boulders/rocks, geological history, etc. You're so lucky. My dad used to take me hiking. We'd always take field guides for birds, bugs, plants, rocks & minerals, etc. One time we found an outcropping of my favorite mineral -- calcium. It was in large crystal form, those lovely milky cubes. CaCO3. Years after he passed I tried to find that spot again, but someone had build Interstate 64 right over it. :~(

6. #635 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Oh, and that's another one! Imagine hiking with a geologist who could tell you all about the formations, layers, individual boulders/rocks, geological history, etc. You're so lucky. My dad used to take me hiking. We'd always take field guides for birds, bugs, plants, rocks & minerals, etc. One time we found an outcropping of my favorite mineral -- calcium. It was in large crystal form, those lovely milky cubes. CaCO3. Years after he passed I tried to find that spot again, but someone had build Interstate 64 right over it. :~(
    Yes, it is very interesting as you see the various rock, layers & types & really have no idea.. Especially interesting IMHO are those meeting zones, where two or more types converge... One particular even was going up to a place called the Machado post piles (Not the famous devils postpile) there is a mountain of granite on top of it-much older than the granite on top of it.. We were on top & could see some of the transformation but what was real cool was a boulder, maybe 400lbs we could rock w/ a finger sitting on top of other rocks, for millions of year or more.. check it out, it is a different type of rock, even my geologist buddy can only guess how it got therehttp://sendvid.com/voyvosco

7. #636 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, it is very interesting as you see the various rock, layers & types & really have no idea.. Especially interesting IMHO are those meeting zones, where two or more types converge... One particular even was going up to a place called the Machado post piles (Not the famous devils postpile) there is a mountain of granite on top of it-much older than the granite on top of it.. We were on top & could see some of the transformation but what was real cool was a boulder, maybe 400lbs we could rock w/ a finger sitting on top of other rocks, for millions of year or more.. check it out, it is a different type of rock, even my geologist buddy can only guess how it got therehttp://sendvid.com/voyvosco
    That's crazy! It couldn't have rolled there from some place else. Was that area once underwater? It's in California?

8. #637 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's crazy! It couldn't have rolled there from some place else. Was that area once underwater? It's in California?
    No, I don't believe it could have rolled there.. The area behind the exposed post piles goes down @ least 50ft or more & then slopes upward prob 500 ft or so.

That big rock is obviously different than the post piles, very similar to the rock above & yet there is no visible trauma on that rock from a great tumble, it is rather smooth..

I would guess it is a glacial debris stone, left in a perfect spot..??? You don't notice many others sitting around, but this is a bit lower elevation, around 8,000, so there are trees & bushes covering the landscape..

Not far from there, up higher in desolation wilderness you can clearly see debris left as well as glacial scares on solid granite.. Check out how smooth & various color/types of rocks dumpedIMG_20190628_130502.jpgscratches/scrapes in rock

This vid I took, you can see how the glaciers cut & rubbed smooth the surface & left various rock debris as it eventually meltedhttp://sendvid.com/vg73kk9p?secret=0...d-84eca9de6713

9. #638 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No, I don't believe it could have rolled there.. The area behind the exposed post piles goes down @ least 50ft or more & then slopes upward prob 500 ft or so.

That big rock is obviously different than the post piles, very similar to the rock above & yet there is no visible trauma on that rock from a great tumble, it is rather smooth..

I would guess it is a glacial debris stone, left in a perfect spot..??? You don't notice many others sitting around, but this is a bit lower elevation, around 8,000, so there are trees & bushes covering the landscape..

Not far from there, up higher in desolation wilderness you can clearly see debris left as well as glacial scares on solid granite.. Check out how smooth & various color/types of rocks dumpedIMG_20190628_130502.jpgscratches/scrapes in rock

This vid I took, you can see how the glaciers cut & rubbed smooth the surface & left various rock debris as it eventually melted]
    That is so cool! I've seen those striations on rock caused by glaciers here and there. It's hard to imagine that 20,000 years ago, where our house is sitting was under 2 miles of ice. The area is still rebounding from the weight. You can see "erratics" all over the place.

10. #639 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That is so cool! I've seen those striations on rock caused by glaciers here and there. It's hard to imagine that 20,000 years ago, where our house is sitting was under 2 miles of ice. The area is still rebounding from the weight. You can see "erratics" all over the place.
    Yep that area was dif under a lot of ice..

Up there in the Sierra huge rocks stuck in the ice cutting through like butter..

SOmetimes your hiking along & just stop w/ your jaw hanging.... What I really love & still find amazing is large Juniper trees growing right between the huge slabs of rocks, the cracks & layers etc..

11. #640 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yep that area was dif under a lot of ice..

Up there in the Sierra huge rocks stuck in the ice cutting through like butter..

SOmetimes your hiking along & just stop w/ your jaw hanging.... What I really love & still find amazing is large Juniper trees growing right between the huge slabs of rocks, the cracks & layers etc..
    Isn't that cool? Only spent a few days, when I was 16, up in the Sierras. We were at Sequoia NP. Such a magical place. I can see why you love it there.

12. #641 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Heading up tomorrow, about 6 miles only, starting @

13. #642 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I love that neck of the woods. The Sierras are a required destination for our family when we travel out west and get remotely close.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Bill (07-18-2019), ThatOwlWoman (07-19-2019)

15. #643 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I’m trying something different this year. I’m dehydrating my small tomatoes instead of juicing them. I haven’t used many dehydrated tomatoes in the past but as I try to eat a bit more healthily I find more recipes calling for sun dried tomatoes so I thought, ‘Why not make my own this year?’

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Bill (07-18-2019), ThatOwlWoman (07-19-2019)

17. #644 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I have been freezing them whole, cherry tomatoes freeze well & stay a little tangy.. But only put them in sauces for pasta...

Vacuum seal??

18. #645 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I’m trying something different this year. I’m dehydrating my small tomatoes instead of juicing them. I haven’t used many dehydrated tomatoes in the past but as I try to eat a bit more healthily I find more recipes calling for sun dried tomatoes so I thought, ‘Why not make my own this year?’

Are you using a dehydrator, or air?

I have a question for you on the walking onions. So they got planted last fall, are big and boisterous now, the tops look like they're growing new ones! Do you cut those off and plant them? When do you harvest the part that is in the ground?