Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden...

1. #376 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Harvested ginger today. Got about ten times as much as I planted which seems pretty good considering it is my first attempt and my location is less than ideal for the length of a full growing season needed for the stuff. Downside is I don't especially like ginger that much except in Ale form. Guess I will need to google some recipes.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

kudzu (01-05-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-05-2019)

3. #377 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Resized_20190105_095433(3).jpg

Was bored. Took a pix of onions. Then weeded the bed because the picture is not flawlessly staged like real internet gardeners

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

kudzu (01-05-2019)

5. #378 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Harvested ginger today. Got about ten times as much as I planted which seems pretty good considering it is my first attempt and my location is less than ideal for the length of a full growing season needed for the stuff. Downside is I don't especially like ginger that much except in Ale form. Guess I will need to google some recipes.
    Have you ever served Ginger Tea after dinner? Its lovely and good for the digestion.. All you do is steep some thin slices of ginger in boiling water.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-05-2019)

7. #379 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,507 Times in 52,732 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mountains of seed catalogs have been arriving by mail the last couple of weeks. Time to start dreaming and planning. What are you all thinking of this year?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

leaningright (01-05-2019)

9. #380 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Have you ever served Ginger Tea after dinner? Its lovely and good for the digestion.. All you do is steep some thin slices of ginger in boiling water.
    I will give a try when it gets cold again. Been right warm this week. I was waiting for it to cure some before I started fooling with it.

10. #381 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No idea what I will be into yet come spring. I will probably do the usual suspects and let the walking onions and greenhouse be my new things this time around the sun. Two hurricanes and 180% of our average annual rainfall have left me with plenty of non-growing things to do. Might start working some out at my 100 acre woods since guy who rents one side of the road said he might not have time to farm it this year.

11. #382 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I will give a try when it gets cold again. Been right warm this week. I was waiting for it to cure some before I started fooling with it.
    If you ever want to share some of that ginger (to plant) I'll pay for postage. Do you think it would grow up here in a cooler climate?

12. #383 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No idea what I will be into yet come spring. I will probably do the usual suspects and let the walking onions and greenhouse be my new things this time around the sun. Two hurricanes and 180% of our average annual rainfall have left me with plenty of non-growing things to do. Might start working some out at my 100 acre woods since guy who rents one side of the road said he might not have time to farm it this year.
    Maybe harvest some timber for firewood to use or sell? Did you get your greenhouse built, or is that a summer project?

I've given up on bell peppers; even in the hoop house they were unspectacular. So far the plans are for the walking and regular onions (planted last fall), garlic (ditto), tomatoes (will start from seed this year to MAKE SURE to get the variety I want *swears at nursery who switched tags*), wax and black beans, peas, zucchini, the annual herbs, and now that it's legal here.... that other herb as well. We have a neighbor living with prostate cancer; the CBD oil and the chaga (on one of our birch trees) really helps him out.

13. #384 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Maybe harvest some timber for firewood to use or sell? Did you get your greenhouse built, or is that a summer project?

I've given up on bell peppers; even in the hoop house they were unspectacular. So far the plans are for the walking and regular onions (planted last fall), garlic (ditto), tomatoes (will start from seed this year to MAKE SURE to get the variety I want *swears at nursery who switched tags*), wax and black beans, peas, zucchini, the annual herbs, and now that it's legal here.... that other herb as well. We have a neighbor living with prostate cancer; the CBD oil and the chaga (on one of our birch trees) really helps him out.
    I could have the 100 acre woods timbered (It is really more about 50 acres of woodland and the rest fields in various stages, but I refuse to on just principal. It is divided by a road and I have rented one side to a guy who farmed it and the other side to an equestrian group. I plan to eventually move there one day but the house needs to be replaced. Right now, new construction isn't a real good return on investment and it is not ideally situated for our current work commutes. I am also waiting to bank the money to do what I want to do with it and tackle the construction all at once. Right now, it just needs some TLC maintenance like reworking some of the of roads, bushhogging etc.

14. #385 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    If you ever want to share some of that ginger (to plant) I'll pay for postage. Do you think it would grow up here in a cooler climate?
    You can just buy it in the supermarket veg section. It is the same stuff. I bought mine at Lidl. Just soak it a day before you plant it to get any growth inhibitor they put on it off. I don't know about your area and your situation as far as outdoors, but some people bring it in in the winter and use it as a house plant from what I have read. I planted mine in containers in March and it took a long while for it to appear above ground. By containers I mean 42 pound cat liter buckets with drain holes drilled in the bottoms. Kept it sheltered but outside until frost date passed and then let it do its thing. I didn't bring it indoors but sheltered it outside from early frost on a porch and let it die back naturally. I have too much crap to bring in in winter as is which is part of the reason I am in the process of building a green house. I really hate plants inside because they are a lot of work when you don't have great lighting conditions for them and they are ever growing. People just give me crap as fast as I can give it away.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-06-2019)

16. #386 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

‘Tis the season ... for starting the garden stuff. Planting tomato seeds this week. Will be putting out cabbage and onion sets in about three weeks. It is beginning.

I saw Mrs. Owl say something about seed catalogues above...yes, a “mountain” of them is an apt description. I have save seed from heirloom plants this year and with any luck I’ll not have to buy any seeds. The only non-heirloom seeds I use are straight neck yellow squash. I’m not a fan of the crook necked variety and they’re the only true heirlooms I can find.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-06-2019)

18. #387 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I could have the 100 acre woods timbered (It is really more about 50 acres of woodland and the rest fields in various stages, but I refuse to on just principal. It is divided by a road and I have rented one side to a guy who farmed it and the other side to an equestrian group. I plan to eventually move there one day but the house needs to be replaced. Right now, new construction isn't a real good return on investment and it is not ideally situated for our current work commutes. I am also waiting to bank the money to do what I want to do with it and tackle the construction all at once. Right now, it just needs some TLC maintenance like reworking some of the of roads, bushhogging etc.
    I bet it's beautiful. Maybe just keep it wild, with some gentle forestry management. There's so few places left in the civilized world like that.

19. #388 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You can just buy it in the supermarket veg section. It is the same stuff. I bought mine at Lidl. Just soak it a day before you plant it to get any growth inhibitor they put on it off. I don't know about your area and your situation as far as outdoors, but some people bring it in in the winter and use it as a house plant from what I have read. I planted mine in containers in March and it took a long while for it to appear above ground. By containers I mean 42 pound cat liter buckets with drain holes drilled in the bottoms. Kept it sheltered but outside until frost date passed and then let it do its thing. I didn't bring it indoors but sheltered it outside from early frost on a porch and let it die back naturally. I have too much crap to bring in in winter as is which is part of the reason I am in the process of building a green house. I really hate plants inside because they are a lot of work when you don't have great lighting conditions for them and they are ever growing. People just give me crap as fast as I can give it away.
    The only ones I bring inside here are the two rosemary bushes. I'll give that store ginger a shot. Always like having something green growing in the windows this time of year, when outside is brown and white and devoid of much color. Thanks for the tip!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Irish Exit (01-06-2019)

21. #389 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    ‘Tis the season ... for starting the garden stuff. Planting tomato seeds this week. Will be putting out cabbage and onion sets in about three weeks. It is beginning.

I saw Mrs. Owl say something about seed catalogues above...yes, a “mountain” of them is an apt description. I have save seed from heirloom plants this year and with any luck I’ll not have to buy any seeds. The only non-heirloom seeds I use are straight neck yellow squash. I’m not a fan of the crook necked variety and they’re the only true heirlooms I can find.
    Already with the cabbage? We won't even have leaves on the trees here till the end of May or early June! Have you ever purchased from Native Seeds?

https://shop.nativeseeds.org/collect...pkins-zucchini

22. #390 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

No, I’ve never bought any seeds from that company. I’ll have to check them out.