Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden...

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,735 Times in 14,330 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Squash bugs usually show up if you've been planting squash/cucumbers in the same spot for years. As Owl noted, the previous year's eggs hatch and the bugs feast on the vines. You'll see holes in the vines, and the squash slowly yellows and dies.

Don't plant squash there for a few years. Where you do plant squash, also plant white icicle radishes and let them mature and go to seed. Nasturtiums planted with squash also help for some reason.

No matter the type of beetle, I just pick them off and drop them in soapy water. I've eradicated all Japanese beetles, stink bugs from my gardens by doing that. Japanese beetles are fast. They tuck and roll as soon as you touch the plant. I put the soapy water pot under the leaves, and they roll right into it.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Althea For This Post:

kudzu (06-05-2018), ThatOwlWoman (06-05-2018)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    If you are bothered with deer, pee around your garden plants.. They will leave it alone.
    Not here, fortunately. A woman friend of my wife's is, but she has close and nosey neighbours eyeing her garden. Perhaps I should volunteer my services, but fear my presence might be mis-understood!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iolo For This Post:

kudzu (06-05-2018)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    Not here, fortunately. A woman friend of my wife's is, but she has close and nosey neighbours eyeing her garden. Perhaps I should volunteer my services, but fear my presence might be mis-understood!
    LOLOL.. I always got my husband to do it.. I would have done it myself at night, but was always afraid of squatting over a snake or something.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

iolo (06-05-2018)

7. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

The culprit...mostly, that I didn’t see the other evening when I sprayed the Sevin was revealed today. Striped cucumber beetles. Never been bothered by them before. They were lying dead by the dozen as I examined things this morning. I also saw the spotted variety on my potato vines as well as a few potato bugs. The Sevin took care of the potato bugs as well. Still haven’t identified the tiny, green-backed bug but there’s not as many of them as I first thought. They’re now dead too. No squash bugs this morning but I did scrape eggs off of four leaves. Made a funnel with the leaf and rolled them into my Gatorade bottle with a dab of gasoline on the bottom. They’re in there with their parents now. Far be it from me to be a home wrecker.

I put 32+ lbs of cabbage in my crock yesterday. Should have kraut in a couple of weeks. Green beans will be ready to can next week and my tomatoes are coming on. Going to pull onions and bunch them this weekend. Potatoes still lack a couple weeks but am enjoying some new potatoes now. Busy time but I love it.

Oh, this is the first time I have planted cucumbers and squash where they are. But it has been a watermelon and cantaloupe patch the past two years. I’m sure that’s what has done the evil deed of drawing in the sap sucking bugs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-05-2018)

9. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    The culprit...mostly, that I didn’t see the other evening when I sprayed the Sevin was revealed today. Striped cucumber beetles. Never been bothered by them before. They were lying dead by the dozen as I examined things this morning. I also saw the spotted variety on my potato vines as well as a few potato bugs. The Sevin took care of the potato bugs as well. Still haven’t identified the tiny, green-backed bug but there’s not as many of them as I first thought. They’re now dead too. No squash bugs this morning but I did scrape eggs off of four leaves. Made a funnel with the leaf and rolled them into my Gatorade bottle with a dab of gasoline on the bottom. They’re in there with their parents now. Far be it from me to be a home wrecker.

I put 32+ lbs of cabbage in my crock yesterday. Should have kraut in a couple of weeks. Green beans will be ready to can next week and my tomatoes are coming on. Going to pull onions and bunch them this weekend. Potatoes still lack a couple weeks but am enjoying some new potatoes now. Busy time but I love it.

Oh, this is the first time I have planted cucumbers and squash where they are. But it has been a watermelon and cantaloupe patch the past two years. I’m sure that’s what has done the evil deed of drawing in the sap sucking bugs.
    I am holding my breathe right now on the tomatoes. Have over a hundred baseball sized or larger greens on the vine and probably 50+ smaller ones. I am praying to God, Zeus, trees, sacrificing chickens, and looking for a virgin and a volcano to ward off blossom end rot. Will be devastated if it hits me. This spring has been super wet around here which can wash the good stuff out of the soil.

Other stuff is mostly just now starting to flower other than me hot peppers. They are producing pretty good already which scares me more as I seldom have good peppers and good tomatoes in the same season. This is also my first year of no dig so not sure what to expect really.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

leaningright (06-05-2018)

11. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

That works or you can make a tea from tobacco and spray it on the plants.
    Be careful with that around tomatoes though as tobacco can carry a mosaic disease.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (06-05-2018), domer76 (06-06-2018)

13. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

LOLOL.. I always got my husband to do it.. I would have done it myself at night, but was always afraid of squatting over a snake or something.
    LMAO.... what a great mental picture that conjured. Mr. Owl was horrified at the idea of peeing outside to keep the deer away, so instead he built a six-foot fence around the veggie plots. So far, so good, knock on wood.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

iolo (06-06-2018)

15. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This year I'm trying something new. We're way behind you southern gardeners... snow just melted off a bit over a month ago. Heard that mycorrhizal fungi is as good as or better than fertilizer, so once things are up and growing, going to mix up a batch and apply it. Has anyone ever tried this before? This is the one I got:

http://www.fungi.com/shop/fungi-for-...y-gardens.html

16. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,173 Times in 10,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Got home from KY last Friday. The bugs are about to carry my garden off. Squash bugs all over my squash plants, some little iridescent green-back bug sucking the sap (and thus the life) out of my cucumbers, ants invading my okra...it’s the invasion of the insects! Oh, and the rabbits had eaten about 1/4 of my green beans.

I dispatched the rabbit with my Ruger Airhawk pellet gun yesterday morning before going to church and have a jar with a little gasoline in it and have started picking the bugs off my squash plants and have used some liquid Sevin on my cucumbers (its several weeks before they start bearing).

IT’S FARGIN WAR!!!
    Powdered Sevin might be better to spray on the underside of leaves. A little easier.

Another method I heard is leave something like roofing shingles near the plants. The squash bugs will crawl underneath and you step on them en masse.

Also, plant another variety of squash away from the one you wish to eat as a decoy. They prefer some over others.

17. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That works or you can make a tea from tobacco and spray it on the plants.
    My mother did that many years ago. Mix with a little detergent. The nicotinoids are very effective insecticides.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

kudzu (06-05-2018)

19. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    This year I'm trying something new. We're way behind you southern gardeners... snow just melted off a bit over a month ago. Heard that mycorrhizal fungi is as good as or better than fertilizer, so once things are up and growing, going to mix up a batch and apply it. Has anyone ever tried this before? This is the one I got:

True on the mycoorhizae

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

kudzu (06-05-2018), ThatOwlWoman (06-05-2018)

21. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,735 Times in 14,330 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Can you take pics of the bugs?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

22. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Can you take pics of the bugs?
    I will try. Most are dead and gone now but I’m sure some more will show up.

23. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    True on the mycoorhizae
    You've tried it and noticed a difference? Do you have to re-inoculate every year or will it survive over winter?

24. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post

Never tried that but it is more or less why some people recommend you keep roots in the ground all winter if possible even if the top growth is dead.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-05-2018)