Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden...

1. #301 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,740 Times in 14,334 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    I think to be successful you would have to leave them on the vine until the vine dies or at least the stem attached to the fruit dies (which is what you are supposed to do with gourds as well)
    Interesting. I think I've done that accidentally with spaghetti squash. One downside of bush type summer squash...no real vine to cut with the fruit.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2. #302 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Mine don't get nearly that big, but I grow them every 3 years or so to make bird houses out of the ones that are suitable bottoms with a good neck on them. i just dry them, take a razor knife to create a doorway, get the dried guts out, and bind them with cord and hang them about. The others I just pile up and eventually harvest the seeds or put them out as decor around Halloween through Christmas and compost. Never really had a mold issue with them. I usually leave them on the vine until dead to maximize size and toss the early departures in one of the many vacant hanging baskets I usually have about. I get every cheap plastic hanging basket I can get my hands on to use as pots for pass-along plants. Often they are former fern pots put out by roadsides in the fall.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (08-18-2018)

4. #303 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bug juice, People.
    Gather the offenders and place in a blender with water.
    Grind till fine.
    Put in spray bottle and spray victims.

This is 100% organic and effective.
    Leave the seven at the poison store.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rune For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (08-18-2018)

6. #304 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just a couple of pics.... a basket of goodies just picked this evening; the bird bath my husband got me for my birthday at an art show. The peas are winding down and will be pulled soon. Hot peppers, squash, and black beans are doing great in the hoop house. Tomatoes are just starting to ripen. Onions are almost ready to be pulled. Harvested all the garlic late last month; it's been put up for winter. Will be planting both onions and garlic again this fall; they seem to overwinter very well here. Scarlet runners are doing great out in the beds; the hummingbirds are our guest pollinators this year!

How are your gardens doing in late summer?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (08-26-2018), leaningright (08-19-2018)

8. #305 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Tomatoes ripening every day. Yum

The rest of my, er, crops will be done about mid October.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rune For This Post:

Althea (08-26-2018), ThatOwlWoman (08-19-2018)

10. #306 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I’m getting about a gallon of okra every two days, still getting summer squash (both yellow and scalloped), a few tomatoes. I pulled up the whippoorwill pea vines last week. Overall I canned 24 qts of the whippoorwill peas besides the 7 pounds I put up dry. Elderberry was the latest jelly I made. In October when the pears get ready I plan to make pear jelly and pear mincemeat. School has started and my gardening and canning will take a back seat to ball games and math lessons.

My son an I helped dad pick his biggest watermelon one Wednesday evening after church.

Elderberry jelly making process...good stuff there.

They make a very pretty jelly.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (08-19-2018)

12. #307 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Good grief... that watermelon should have its own zip code!!!! Was it good?

13. #308 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Good grief... that watermelon should have its own zip code!!!! Was it good?
    It was actually very good for such a big melon. It weighed 88 lbs.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Rune (08-19-2018), ThatOwlWoman (08-20-2018)

15. #309 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    It was actually very good for such a big melon. It weighed 88 lbs.
    Sounds like a state fair winner! Your elderberry jelly looks amazing.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

leaningright (08-20-2018)

17. #310 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My second planting of yellow squash is coming in, second run of greenbeans grown but not setting flowers yet. Second planting of zukes growing but not blooming yet. Tomatoes are starting to produce some now that the temps are back down into the 80's. Late corn is about waist high (which is fine since early corn barely germinated). Fall lettuce starting to poke up. First bloom this week on the mums so fall is acoming (Didn't pinch these ones back). May try to start some fall cabbages indoors. Cabbage just doesn't do well for me but I keep experimenting with it. Need to seed some rocket for fall as well. Starting to gather in some garlic bulbs for the fall plant as well, but that is still a couple months away on those.

Hot peppers well good lord I have plenty of those and picking them just creates even more of them. They will produce all the way through the frost which is about the last week of October usually. They were the first to produce and will be the last to produce. If I could figure out how to monetize them, Bezos would be push mowing my lawn while Gates did the trim work.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

leaningright (08-20-2018), ThatOwlWoman (08-20-2018)

19. #311 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My second planting of yellow squash is coming in, second run of greenbeans grown but not setting flowers yet. Second planting of zukes growing but not blooming yet. Tomatoes are starting to produce some now that the temps are back down into the 80's. Late corn is about waist high (which is fine since early corn barely germinated). Fall lettuce starting to poke up. First bloom this week on the mums so fall is acoming (Didn't pinch these ones back). May try to start some fall cabbages indoors. Cabbage just doesn't do well for me but I keep experimenting with it. Need to seed some rocket for fall as well. Starting to gather in some garlic bulbs for the fall plant as well, but that is still a couple months away on those.

Hot peppers well good lord I have plenty of those and picking them just creates even more of them. They will produce all the way through the frost which is about the last week of October usually. They were the first to produce and will be the last to produce. If I could figure out how to monetize them, Bezos would be push mowing my lawn while Gates did the trim work.
    Maybe we should work on repealing that law of supply and demand? lol

Your adventures with more than one planting are interesting.... we're lucky to get just one in up here. Cabbages did terrible last year. Well, they grew well; we had a cool and rainy summer. But the slugs messed them up.

I've got onion bulbs and garlic on order for fall planting; those guys did great!

20. #312 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Maybe we should work on repealing that law of supply and demand? lol

Your adventures with more than one planting are interesting.... we're lucky to get just one in up here. Cabbages did terrible last year. Well, they grew well; we had a cool and rainy summer. But the slugs messed them up.

I've got onion bulbs and garlic on order for fall planting; those guys did great!
    I just pick mine up locally. Our last frost date is usually the third week of April, and first frost day the last week of October. With protection, most years we can grow well into December before it gets too dicey. Some things like mustard/turnips/greens we can grow in the open all winter as long as a heavy snow doesn't sit on them. I don't do much between Christmas and March other than bide time with what is already out there, but if forced to, I could during those months. I just prefer to spend those months crock potting all the stuff in the freezer while napping to make room for next season. Well actually I use that time for prep, brush clearing, new bed building, tree cutting type projects but I don't have to be in any hurry about it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (08-20-2018)

22. #313 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sometimes on a sad news weekend like this one, it's soothing to just go hang out with the plants, bees, and birds in the gardens. Tonight we're having home-made spaghetti sauce made from things grown here.... the tomatoes, onions, garlic, oregano, basil, even the shrooms. The only thing not home-grown is the Italian sausage in the meatballs (which are also hand-crafted by myself). Need to learn how to make pasta next! Anyone make their own? Have any tips/tricks?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

leaningright (08-26-2018)

24. #314 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sometimes on a sad news weekend like this one, it's soothing to just go hang out with the plants, bees, and birds in the gardens. Tonight we're having home-made spaghetti sauce made from things grown here.... the tomatoes, onions, garlic, oregano, basil, even the shrooms. The only thing not home-grown is the Italian sausage in the meatballs (which are also hand-crafted by myself). Need to learn how to make pasta next! Anyone make their own? Have any tips/tricks?
    I've made my own pasta. We have both the hand crank type machine and the mixer attachment. The trick is just buying it

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (08-26-2018)

26. #315 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I've made my own pasta. We have both the hand crank type machine and the mixer attachment. The trick is just buying it
    Smart ass. lol