Thread: Garden...

1. #511 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aimée View Post
    Before I go into the fetal position from the last post, I love planting tomatoes in planters. I definitely want to do that this year. I am also going to try my hand at raised gardens this year. I am excited about that!
    By planters do you mean hanging pots or ones on the ground?

2. #512 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    By planters do you mean hanging pots or ones on the ground?
    Those big ones that I can put out on the porch. I found some that I want to get that are a perfect size, but won't be too heavy to move back and forth on those cold nights.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-21-2019)

4. #513 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Those big ones that I can put out on the porch. I found some that I want to get that are a perfect size, but won't be too heavy to move back and forth on those cold nights.
    How many plants do you put in one?

5. #514 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

How many plants do you put in one?
    It depends on what I want to use it for. If it's for flowers, I will cram that bad boy right full. If I am using it only as a thing for tomatoes, I will put only four plants in there so that they have room to grow and for those cages that you put around them. It's a big planter.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

7. #515 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It depends on what I want to use it for. If it's for flowers, I will cram that bad boy right full. If I am using it only as a thing for tomatoes, I will put only four plants in there so that they have room to grow and for those cages that you put around them. It's a big planter.
    Oh okay, I do the same thing. I have grown tomatoes in large pots but probably not the size of yours. They didn't do that great if more than one was in there. I did have good luck last summer though with planting both flowers and birdhouse gourds (several gourd plants) in a large planter.

Summer seems so far away!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Aimée (02-21-2019)

9. #516 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Buttercups are up down here. But it just....keeps .... raining. It’s potato planting time and I can’t set foot in my garden without sinking halfway to my knees in the mud. It’ll be one of those years where I’ll just have to find some patience. Planted some tomato seeds (Arkansas Travelers) in a planter so that’ll take the edge off a bit.
    Hey LR, how's winter been treating you? Question: Did you ever try planting potatoes in the fall and/or leaving some in the ground to overwinter?

10. #517 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Oh okay, I do the same thing. I have grown tomatoes in large pots but probably not the size of yours. They didn't do that great if more than one was in there. I did have good luck last summer though with planting both flowers and birdhouse gourds (several gourd plants) in a large planter.

Summer seems so far away!
    Yes, if I am not careful, the tomatoes can come out not so good. I have to make sure to give them plant food on a regular basis to make them come out decent. I might do some small gourds, too, for us. I would love to have some of those small ones! I might add those with some flowers, too. That would be a lot of fun for Matt, too!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

12. #518 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Hey LR, how's winter been treating you? Question: Did you ever try planting potatoes in the fall and/or leaving some in the ground to overwinter?
    Winter....I’m so ready for warmer, somewhat drier weather. But we’ve wintered well. Plenty of preserved stuff from the garden and the land to sustain us, lots of high school basketball games and academic meets. But I’m ready for spring and some slower times. In addition to my normal job I have been going to CLEET training three nights a week for four hours each night.

I have planted some fall potatoes but never have left any in the ground, intentionally anyway. Fall potatoes made ok but I only planted them because I didn’t make enough with that spring’s crop.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-22-2019)

14. #519 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Winter....I’m so ready for warmer, somewhat drier weather. But we’ve wintered well. Plenty of preserved stuff from the garden and the land to sustain us, lots of high school basketball games and academic meets. But I’m ready for spring and some slower times. In addition to my normal job I have been going to CLEET training three nights a week for four hours each night.

I have planted some fall potatoes but never have left any in the ground, intentionally anyway. Fall potatoes made ok but I only planted them because I didn’t make enough with that spring’s crop.
    You've been busy! What is CLEET?

A friend in Alaska sent me some heirloom spuds last fall. I was afraid that they wouldn't keep well over the winter, so went ahead and planted them with plenty of mulch. Now they have four feet of snow over them as well. Hoping that they will come up this spring and do well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

leaningright (02-22-2019)

16. #520 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

You've been busy! What is CLEET?

A friend in Alaska sent me some heirloom spuds last fall. I was afraid that they wouldn't keep well over the winter, so went ahead and planted them with plenty of mulch. Now they have four feet of snow over them as well. Hoping that they will come up this spring and do well.
    Council for Law Enforcement Education and Training. When I finish I’ll be certified to carry a firearm while I teach. It is a way for smaller schools whose budget won’t allow them to hire a “resource officer” to provide a level of protection against an attack. You know, it’s one of those things one trains for and hopes he never has to use.

To the potatoes...if the ground didn’t freeze down past their level they’ll likely come up and do fine. I sure wish we’d get some snow like we used to. Nothing better for returning nitrogen to the soil....or so I’m told. I just know the process of freezing and thawing is really good for the garden spot.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-25-2019)

18. #521 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Council for Law Enforcement Education and Training. When I finish I’ll be certified to carry a firearm while I teach. It is a way for smaller schools whose budget won’t allow them to hire a “resource officer” to provide a level of protection against an attack. You know, it’s one of those things one trains for and hopes he never has to use.

To the potatoes...if the ground didn’t freeze down past their level they’ll likely come up and do fine. I sure wish we’d get some snow like we used to. Nothing better for returning nitrogen to the soil....or so I’m told. I just know the process of freezing and thawing is really good for the garden spot.
    Thanks for the explanation. What a world we live in, that teachers have to carry firearms. When conservatives lament the "good old days," this is one of the few things from back then that I miss -- kids feeling safe (at least from intruders, bullies are a whole nuther thing) while at school.

One good thing about this place is the snow. The ground has usually got permanent snow by mid-November, way before the ground itself freezes to more than an inch or two. Right now there's 4-5 feet of "insulation" out there. Here's an illustration! First photo from last summer; second one I took yesterday. The hoop house is 7' high; the fence is 6'.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Aimée (02-25-2019), leaningright (02-25-2019)

20. #522 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thanks for the explanation. What a world we live in, that teachers have to carry firearms. When conservatives lament the "good old days," this is one of the few things from back then that I miss -- kids feeling safe (at least from intruders, bullies are a whole nuther thing) while at school.

One good thing about this place is the snow. The ground has usually got permanent snow by mid-November, way before the ground itself freezes to more than an inch or two. Right now there's 4-5 feet of "insulation" out there. Here's an illustration! First photo from last summer; second one I took yesterday. The hoop house is 7' high; the fence is 6'.

Holy cow! That's a lot of snow! Five feet would place that amount over my head.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

22. #523 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Holy cow! That's a lot of snow! Five feet would place that amount over my head.
    It's crazy! There were huge drifts on the steps going up to the deck/front door that I had to dig through in order to shovel out the entrance so we could get the door open.... they were at least six feet deep. Overall we got ~20" at last measure; a couple more fell overnight but because gale force winds were out and about, looks like most of it blew away. Maybe to Maine. lol The blizzard warnings are down for now, thankfully. Heading out now to find the mailbox. My husband said when he snow-blowed the driveway yesterday that it had disappeared.

23. #524 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's crazy! There were huge drifts on the steps going up to the deck/front door that I had to dig through in order to shovel out the entrance so we could get the door open.... they were at least six feet deep. Overall we got ~20" at last measure; a couple more fell overnight but because gale force winds were out and about, looks like most of it blew away. Maybe to Maine. lol The blizzard warnings are down for now, thankfully. Heading out now to find the mailbox. My husband said when he snow-blowed the driveway yesterday that it had disappeared.
    LOL! That is crazy! That's like the winters we used to get around here. I remember one storm that snowed in both entrances like that. Us kids got all bundled up in our snowsuits and my father sent us out through the windows to go and find the shovel and at least get one door shoveled out. The car was completely buried.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

25. #525 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

LOL! That is crazy! That's like the winters we used to get around here. I remember one storm that snowed in both entrances like that. Us kids got all bundled up in our snowsuits and my father sent us out through the windows to go and find the shovel and at least get one door shoveled out. The car was completely buried.
    Good grief! That's incredible! Some ppl on the local town's FB page were saying they had to get out through the windows too!

Good news/bad news on the search for the mailbox. Bad news: Couldn't find it. Good news: No bills today! lol

I'm frozen. Made a huge pot of veggie soup yesterday, going to eat some of that to get warmed up again. It's up to 6F though so there's a good start.