Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden...

1. #346 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Got an email from a seed company advertising them.... but $20/lb seems terribly pricey. I've never grown them so don't know much about it. My leeks didn't do so well either. They never get like those huge planted-next-to-the-nuclear-plant size store ones.
    Wow...that seems very pricey to me too. Not sure I’d use that many either.

2. #347 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    I have grown carrots. I might get one decent one for every 50 that are crap. They don't do well here in heavy clay plus the deer keep eating the tops off of the ones I try in raised beds.

Florence isn't completely over for us yet. Still getting some rain but winds have died back to a breeze. Some heavy localized flooding on my property but it has subsided fairly quick. Know it washed out part of a bank but haven't really investigated further. Still very swampy so not really wanting to trudge out in the fields and track mud back in. No trees down in my eyeshot from the house. Cannot see around the bend but I have no reason to expect anything except maybe limbs and sticks. The shift to the south drastically changed our earlier in the week forecast in our favor.
    Your carrot experience sounds like mine. Don’t have clay or deer but carrots just don’t do well here.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Irish Exit (09-16-2018)

4. #348 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,411 Times in 53,283 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have grown carrots. I might get one decent one for every 50 that are crap. They don't do well here in heavy clay plus the deer keep eating the tops off of the ones I try in raised beds.

Florence isn't completely over for us yet. Still getting some rain but winds have died back to a breeze. Some heavy localized flooding on my property but it has subsided fairly quick. Know it washed out part of a bank but haven't really investigated further. Still very swampy so not really wanting to trudge out in the fields and track mud back in. No trees down in my eyeshot from the house. Cannot see around the bend but I have no reason to expect anything except maybe limbs and sticks. The shift to the south drastically changed our earlier in the week forecast in our favor.
    Hope you don't get any home damages from all that rain. Pretty incredible videos of the flooding and rescues of ppl.

5. #349 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Your carrot experience sounds like mine. Don’t have clay or deer but carrots just don’t do well here.
    I thought they would do better here because our soil is sandy and light-textured, plus I think they prefer cooler weather. But last year's just kind of sat there and then gave up. lol So maybe fall-planted ones will do better.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

leaningright (09-16-2018)

7. #350 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Hope you don't get any home damages from all that rain. Pretty incredible videos of the flooding and rescues of ppl.
    Still raining but not so hard it isn't behaving different than it would on any other day. Did get a flash flood warning text awhile ago. I figure the real flooding will happen here when the thing turns north and floods all the rivers up stream. My oldest brother about an hour and a half way was getting hit pretty good with rain and downed trees earlier today. He is a little more vulnerable because if he loses power, who knows how long it will take to get it back as he is in the sticks, and he is on a well so no power=no water=no flushing. His farm does have an outhouse for that reason LOL, but he has livestock to tend to as well. In a stroke of good luck, he had just moved his chickens to new digs last week when one of the trees that came down today smashed their old coop.

8. #351 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

shelled out about a gallon of Christmas beans today. Should have between one and two more gallons before frost hits them. For those wondering, they are red and white lima beans that look like plain old limas once cooked.

Planted 3 pounds of scallions and 3 oz each of turnips, collars, and mustard this weekend.

Anybody other than me not sitting on their gardeners butt already?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (10-01-2018)

10. #352 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

shelled out about a gallon of Christmas beans today. Should have between one and two more gallons before frost hits them. For those wondering, they are red and white lima beans that look like plain old limas once cooked.
    Planted 3 pounds of scallions and 3 oz each of turnips, collars, and mustard this weekend.
    Anybody other than me not sitting on their gardeners butt already?
    It's been cool (40s) and rainy here off and on, for the last couple of weeks. Tomorrow they say sun. Going to pull the peas, which were done long ago. Plant garlic and the walking onions. Still waiting on the regular onions to come in the mail. Going to pull everything that's stopped producing and get ready to put the beds to sleep for the winter. Got a nice amount of compost to spread, and decorative flower pots to empty into the beds. I store the emptied pots upside down under a tarp beneath the deck for the winter, so freezing won't break them.

Still lots to do!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Irish Exit (10-01-2018)

12. #353 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,075 Times in 7,506 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

I buy my produce at the supermarket.
    Sometimes a road side stand, in season.
    Gardens are nice.
    No disputing that.
    But they're also a lot of work.
    I don't need a lot of work at this stage of my life.

13. #354 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's been cool (40s) and rainy here off and on, for the last couple of weeks. Tomorrow they say sun. Going to pull the peas, which were done long ago. Plant garlic and the walking onions. Still waiting on the regular onions to come in the mail. Going to pull everything that's stopped producing and get ready to put the beds to sleep for the winter. Got a nice amount of compost to spread, and decorative flower pots to empty into the beds. I store the emptied pots upside down under a tarp beneath the deck for the winter, so freezing won't break them.

Still lots to do!
    Southern states was about 3 weeks late getting their onions in this fall for some reason. My walking onions I ordered are going on about a foot tall already. Just sucks I can't pick em and eat em for another 11 months...I have all the windows I need for my ghetto greenhouse but now I have to actually go out and get a bunch of wood which I hate doing because my old truck will practically dislocate your back driving it some days. At least it was free.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (10-01-2018)

15. #355 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Southern states was about 3 weeks late getting their onions in this fall for some reason. My walking onions I ordered are going on about a foot tall already. Just sucks I can't pick em and eat em for another 11 months...I have all the windows I need for my ghetto greenhouse but now I have to actually go out and get a bunch of wood which I hate doing because my old truck will practically dislocate your back driving it some days. At least it was free.
    Free with a 70% chance of chiropracty? lol

16. #356 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Free with a 70% chance of chiropracty? lol
    Instead of shock absorbers, it has shock amplifiers I think LOL. It was my grandpas's truck which made its way through a couple other relatives before coming to my house to die. As best I can tell, it has around 370K miles on it. It only goes to 99,999 and I am certain it has seen them 00000's a few times. I can still eek a a few hundred miles a year total which is all I need it for so as long as my near sited inspector walks around it and declares it's all good, then it's all good.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (10-02-2018)

18. #357 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Instead of shock absorbers, it has shock amplifiers I think LOL. It was my grandpas's truck which made its way through a couple other relatives before coming to my house to die. As best I can tell, it has around 370K miles on it. It only goes to 99,999 and I am certain it has seen them 00000's a few times. I can still eek a a few hundred miles a year total which is all I need it for so as long as my near sited inspector walks around it and declares it's all good, then it's all good.
    Sweet old work horse though, eh?

19. #358 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sweet old work horse though, eh?
    It hauls what I need hauling. Totally utilitarian.

20. #359 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It hauls what I need hauling. Totally utilitarian.
    A truck like that is on the short list of stuff we need/want. Current vehicles are fine for transportation of us and smaller things, but a load of lumber like you have.... not so much. Or for big loads of mulch/soil, hauling the snowblower in if it needs repair, and so on. Plus that future fishing skiff on my dream list. Heheheheh.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

leaningright (10-02-2018)

22. #360 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A truck like that is on the short list of stuff we need/want. Current vehicles are fine for transportation of us and smaller things, but a load of lumber like you have.... not so much. Or for big loads of mulch/soil, hauling the snowblower in if it needs repair, and so on. Plus that future fishing skiff on my dream list. Heheheheh.
    I wouldn't have added tons of compost this year and started converting to no-dig if I didn't have my trusty clunker to haul it all in.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

leaningright (10-02-2018), ThatOwlWoman (10-02-2018)