Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Rosanne gets the ax!

1. #496 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Islamic Brotherhood? What is that?

Your California Code doesn't apply.. Roseanne isn't running for office.. Did it ever occur to you that ABC has very good lawyers? Where did you get your JD?
    The Islamic Brotherhood is a political coalition party started in the Mideast around 1940 or so, mostly to combat western imperialism and colonialism in the Mideast.

Running for office is only one of the points listed.
    Another is:

{...
    Make, adopt or enforce any rule or policy that tends to control or direct the political activities or affiliations of employees;
    ...}

And other sections specifically mention how Tweets are protected speech.

Sure ABC has good lawyers, but they often attempt to do illegal things out of over confidence, believing they can intimidate by blackballing, etc.
    And example is CBS, which has much better lawyers than ABC, fired the Smothers Brothers, and lost big time.
    Cost them tens of millions.
    I bet ABC settles out of court, secretly, for tens of millions.

2. #497 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No different than ABC wanting a strong audience for their show.. ABC has skilled lawyers.

Roseanne is simply an ignorant big mouth..

Nonsense.
    Since Trump won the elections, clearly the strongest of audiences would be to appeal more to Trump supporters.
    The skill of ABC lawyers does not at all reflect on whether ABC violated the law or not.
    Roseanne can't be ignorant or else she would not be making millions and having the single most popular sitcom in history, something ABC is unable to do without her.

3. #498 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    actually, it tastes better than the crap you serve out......

you showed us your hopes and dreams and pretended it was the law.......your Rigby posts are a waste, stick with the Legion persona.......
    And how is quoting exact statutes not the law?
    Are you claiming it is legal to discriminate against political expression?
    Why would the founder have put protection of political into the first amendment if they did not consider that the single most important individual right?

Have you ever seen any employer successfully discriminate based on political expression, and be able to terminate over that without losing a huge lawsuit?

4. #499 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There is NO human rights doctrine that requires the government to protect Roseanne Barr from ABC. Its not a free speech issue. ABC bet on Roseanne and they got burned. They do have a brand to protect.

The original Planet of the Apes was 1968 and it was about the Vietnam war and the rise of Black Power..

Roseanne killed her own comeback ...

Wrong.
    I already quoted CA labor law that show it is illegal for employers to terminate over political expression outside of work.
    The first amendment of the constitution also verifies that, since the SCOTUS has incorporated that as individual right.
    It most certainly is a free speech issue, since Roseanne's tweet was just about criticizing US Mideast policies.
    ABC did NOT get burned.
    Roseanne created the single most popular sitcom in history, and ratings were "the best".

Since Trump got elected, the majority support him.
    In fact, Trump has some of the highest approval ratings of all presidents in history.
    I do not at all like or support Trump, but clearly it can only help ABC brand to appeal to Trump supporters.
    What you claim, that firing was self defense, is easily proven wrong.
    It would never stand up in court.
    Clearly echoing what Trump is saying would be more successful than being against Trump.
    And anyone attempting to censor political opinion during off hours, is a criminal.

5. #500 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,970 Times in 32,285 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby5 View Post
    And how is quoting exact statutes not the law?
    the statute IS the law, but you specifically said you hoped the courts would expand the law to what you believed it intended........it didn't......the law never means something it does not say......I learned that in law school.....

6. #501 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wrong.
    I already quoted CA labor law that show it is illegal for employers to terminate over political expression outside of work.
    The first amendment of the constitution also verifies that, since the SCOTUS has incorporated that as individual right.
    It most certainly is a free speech issue, since Roseanne's tweet was just about criticizing US Mideast policies.
    ABC did NOT get burned.
    Roseanne created the single most popular sitcom in history, and ratings were "the best".

Since Trump got elected, the majority support him.
    In fact, Trump has some of the highest approval ratings of all presidents in history.
    I do not at all like or support Trump, but clearly it can only help ABC brand to appeal to Trump supporters.
    What you claim, that firing was self defense, is easily proven wrong.
    It would never stand up in court.
    Clearly echoing what Trump is saying would be more successful than being against Trump.
    And anyone attempting to censor political opinion during off hours, is a criminal.
    Sorry.. you are wrong.. and Roseanne wasn't criticizing ME policy... she was insulting Valarie Jarret about whom she is EXTREMELY ignorant.

Contact ABC or you nearest law school before you continue your foolishness.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

blackascoal (06-18-2018), ThatOwlWoman (06-18-2018)

8. #502 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The Islamic Brotherhood is a political coalition party started in the Mideast around 1940 or so, mostly to combat western imperialism and colonialism in the Mideast.

Running for office is only one of the points listed.
    Another is:

{...
    Make, adopt or enforce any rule or policy that tends to control or direct the political activities or affiliations of employees;
    ...}

And other sections specifically mention how Tweets are protected speech.

Sure ABC has good lawyers, but they often attempt to do illegal things out of over confidence, believing they can intimidate by blackballing, etc.
    And example is CBS, which has much better lawyers than ABC, fired the Smothers Brothers, and lost big time.
    Cost them tens of millions.
    I bet ABC settles out of court, secretly, for tens of millions.
    There is no Islamic Brotherhood.. The Muslim Brotherhood was founded in 1928.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-18-2018)

10. #503 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,386 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

You would think the conjobs would know better than to argue on this subject with you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

kudzu (06-18-2018)

12. #504 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    the statute IS the law, but you specifically said you hoped the courts would expand the law to what you believed it intended........it didn't......the law never means something it does not say......I learned that in law school.....
    No.
    What I said is that while the question was about state law, I expanded to also include references to the state constitution and federal law as well.
    There was absolutely nothing at all about "hopes".
    The state constitution is there as a reference for judges to go by when unenumerated rigths come up.
    And MOST rights are unenumerated, because rights are infinite.
    It is impossible for legislators to specifically mention all possible rights.
    And while the 1st amendment originally was written just as a restriction on federal infringement, the SCOTUS has "incorporated" all the rights mentioned in the Bill of Rights as now also barring state, local, or individual infringement.

13. #505 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sorry.. you are wrong.. and Roseanne wasn't criticizing ME policy... she was insulting Valarie Jarret about whom she is EXTREMELY ignorant.

Contact ABC or you nearest law school before you continue your foolishness.
    Jarrett is the public figure most responsible for Obama's Mideast policies, and that is what Roseanne was tweeting about.
    I agree Roseanne is ignorant about Jarrett, but the point is it was a political tweet, completely protected, and ABC has absolutely no right to terminate her over off hours political comments.
    In fact, racism, personal insults, and just about anything off hours is protected.
    Your employer just gets no say at all in your off hours activities.
    The rare exceptions are when what you do is illegal, or you are specifically a spokes person for them.
    And that can't apply to Roseanne because her whole value to ABC is as a raunchy stand up comedian, who is supposed to play a racist character.
    ABC crossed WAY over the line and MUST be punished for their crime.

14. #506 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ok, you got me there. I was reading and posting too quickly.
    But to be specific, it is:
    (Arabic: جماعة الإخوان المسلمين ‎ Jamāʻat al-Ikhwān al-Muslimīn)
    So there is lots of room for variation when translating.

15. #507 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Jarrett is the public figure most responsible for Obama's Mideast policies, and that is what Roseanne was tweeting about.
    I agree Roseanne is ignorant about Jarrett, but the point is it was a political tweet, completely protected, and ABC has absolutely no right to terminate her over off hours political comments.
    In fact, racism, personal insults, and just about anything off hours is protected.
    Your employer just gets no say at all in your off hours activities.
    The rare exceptions are when what you do is illegal, or you are specifically a spokes person for them.
    And that can't apply to Roseanne because her whole value to ABC is as a raunchy stand up comedian, who is supposed to play a racist character.
    ABC crossed WAY over the line and MUST be punished for their crime.
    You are ridiculous.. The government does NOT protect Roseanne's freedom of speech from her employer.. Call your nearest law school and ask.

Further, Valarie Jarret was NOT responsible for ME policy and there is NO SUCH THING as Islamic Brotherhood in Iran or anywhere else.

16. #508 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ok, you got me there. I was reading and posting too quickly.
    But to be specific, it is:
    (Arabic: جماعة الإخوان المسلمين ‎ Jamāʻat al-Ikhwān al-Muslimīn)
    So there is lots of room for variation when translating.

Which Ikwan are you talking about? One has been defunct since the late 1930s.

You really don't know anything about the ME or Iran in particular... and neither does Roseanne Barr.

17. #509 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    You would think the conjobs would know better than to argue on this subject with you.
    The keyboard kids discovered the ME after 9-11 and they have mostly bad information.
    Last edited by kudzu; 06-18-2018 at 10:38 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-18-2018)

19. #510 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,970 Times in 32,285 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

No.
    What I said is that while the question was about state law, I expanded to also include references to the state constitution and federal law as well.
    the Michigan constitution and the federal constitution do not provide the coverage you insist is there......time to just admit you fucked up and drop it, you are starting to look like an idiot......