Thread: Irish voters show landslide support for liberalizing abortion laws

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Irish voters show landslide support for liberalizing abortion laws

A victory for women and sanity, the oppressive neck of the church has been snapped

Ireland appears poised to overwhelmingly overturn a constitutional amendment that bans abortion in almost all circumstances, according to an exit poll.

The poll released by Ireland's national broadcaster RTE shortly after polling stations closed on Friday night predicted that nearly 70% voted in in favor of repealing the Eighth Amendment to Ireland's Constitution. The RTE exit poll shows 69.4% voting "yes" and 30.6% "no."
    Exit polls are not based on the actual counting of ballots. Official counting begins Saturday at 9 a.m. (4 a.m. ET), with the final results expected late afternoon.
    The Eighth Amendment, which was added to the constitution following a referendum in 1983, places the rights of the fetus and the rights of its mother on equal footing, effectively banning abortion barring a "real and substantial risk" to the mother's life.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/25/europ...ntl/index.html
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Irish abortion referendum: Exit polls suggest landslide for repeal

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44241521
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

In the U.S. women have had "the" vote for less than one century.

Should men have a say in what women do with their own bodies?

If men are granted a vote on whether or not women may abort a pregnancy,

what vote do women get, about what men do with their bodies?
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Men should take responsibility by having vasectomies as soon as they determine that they don't want to father any more children.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

CO #4

For brevity, I'll concede your point (for this post).

BUT !!

I wanted a vasectomy at age 17. Each surgeon I asked said: - But then you won't be able to have children. -

I explained: - That's why I want the vasectomy. -

The surgeons said: - You'll change your mind. -

I'm 64. I've never changed my mind on that!

But I couldn't get a surgeon to perform a vasectomy on me until I was in my late 30's. That was way, way, way too late !!

I'll accept your "men should take responsibility by having vasectomies" position, AFTER we are empowered to do so. Guarantee that it will be illegal for surgeons to refuse such patient's request, & you've got a deal.

Until then, your suggestion is fantasy (or delusion).
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    CO #4

For brevity, I'll concede your point (for this post).

BUT !!

I wanted a vasectomy at age 17. Each surgeon I asked said: - But then you won't be able to have children. -

I explained: - That's why I want the vasectomy. -

The surgeons said: - You'll change your mind. -

I'm 64. I've never changed my mind on that!

But I couldn't get a surgeon to perform a vasectomy on me until I was in my late 30's. That was way, way, way too late !!

I'll accept your "men should take responsibility by having vasectomies" position, AFTER we are empowered to do so. Guarantee that it will be illegal for surgeons to refuse such patient's request, & you've got a deal.

Until then, your suggestion is fantasy (or delusion).
    Right. Fantasy or delusion. Blow it out your lower orifice. You have the power. I've left this nation twice to have medical procedures that I could not afford in the United States.

Edit for gentler version. You should have stood up to those physicians. You had the right to have a vasectomy. Your lack of assertiveness is your own issue.