Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gone Fishing Part Two: The quest for Moby Perch.

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    Tucson has some great places to visit; but it's just as hot as Phoenix.
    Same as Yuma.

They've got some older places you can tour and it just depends on what you want to do.

I recommend trying the Mexican food; but stay away from the chains and go for the little hole in wall family run restaurants, in both Tucson or Phoenix.
    Thanks, Free.
    I always like getting advice and tips from people that have already been, that way I can avoid the pitfalls and just focus on what is most interesting.

OK, trying to return the favor. Death Valley in August. A Must Do. 118 degrees in the shade. You'll instantly begin to sweat as you depart your air-conditioned car. I took the kids there years ago just for the experience. Badwater, 282 feet BELOW sea level, (you have to have bragging rights that you've been to the lowest spot in America), has a 'mirage'. My son said, "Look, water". I chuckled inconspicuously and said, "Hey, go check it out". He wandered off into the desert while me and the 12 year old headed back to the car, the air-conditioned car. About 10-15 minutes later he's dragging back with a disappointing look on his face. hahahahaha ... Priceless! (there's a line of footsteps into the desert towards the mirage ... and a line of footsteps back to the Parking Area from the mirage, as others engaged in the 'Search for Water' adventure. Stovepipe Wells has an interesting story, with it's name giving away the tale. They have little green spots now and again. We saw one way down in a valley and hiked down there ... only to discover ... a fucking picnic table. hahahahaha ... we thought we were way off the beaten track, only to find ... accommodations ... by the Park Service. The one cool and interesting thing (other than the picnic table) was this 'tree'. I call it a Salt Tree, it looked like it had these 'salt pods' hanging down, looking like they were encrusted with salt. The kids had fun, I had fun, it's a nice 'Day Adventure'.
    Oh, PS: Make sure you have gas. You'd be amazed at how few gas stations there are in the middle of nowhere. And the one we did find before entering the Park was a bit pricey, oaky, it was actually expensive.

OK, Free. Tip for Tip. Now we're even.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-27-2018)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Cool -- you're only about 3 hours SW of us. Are you staying in a lodge, camping out?
    Are you having the heat wave we are here? It’s close to 90 deg F here.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Have a safe trip, Mott!
    If you catch too much, just let me know
    Unfortunately the quest for Moby Perch has been thwarted. The fish are deep and not hitting. I’ve tried about everything. Shallows, points, bays, structures, holes, trolling. sitting on top of schools, trying to pick of individuals, trolling, spinners, cranks, jerk baits, plastics and assorted jigs. Nothing. Not a single fish in nearly two days.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

TOP (05-27-2018)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,621 Times in 16,555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Unfortunately the quest for Moby Perch has been thwarted. The fish are deep and not hitting. I’ve tried about everything. Shallows, points, bays, structures, holes, trolling. sitting on top of schools, trying to pick of individuals, trolling, spinners, cranks, jerk baits, plastics and assorted jigs. Nothing. Not a single fish in nearly two days.
    Head to the Lake...and book a trip with Captain Bob Of course, that was a while ago...
    I really could use some walleye, though..
    Sorry the fish weren't biting...sure you still had fun...Safe trip home

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (05-27-2018)

8. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,301 Times in 53,215 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Are you having the heat wave we are here? It’s close to 90 deg F here.
    We did, but the weather switched for a bit and today was seasonably pleasant. Yesterday was stormy and very very humid. It has been running 15-20 degrees F above normal the last week... and humid as well. Worse for you because you're inland; we manage to survive by being close to Superior (<1/2 mile). Current surface water temps in our locale are ~45F. You guys aren't expected to cool off till next weekend. :~( How long are you staying? How's the fishing?

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's the weather. They've gone deep due to the unseasonable heat. Sorry.

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,549 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I love to fish. I’ll be trying for some Kentucky rainbows tomorrow. Won’t be big but will be fun.

Here are my most recent fishing pics. I’m on the right in the top one.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I love to fish. I’ll be trying for some Kentucky rainbows tomorrow. Won’t be big but will be fun.

^^^ RESPECT!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not very familiar with southern ocean fish... what kind are they? They're HUGE!!

Here's a pic of me with a northern ocean catch... a king salmon and two smallish halibut, Homer, Alaska.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-28-2018), leaningright (05-27-2018)

14. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

In the pic are black tip sharks one spinner shark and a couple gaff top catfish. The others (and the one I’m holding) are red drum, otherwise known simply as redfish. Fishing up north, especially in Alaska, is definitely on my bucket list. I’ll have to have a guide up there though.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

16. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

In the pic are black tip sharks one spinner shark and a couple gaff top catfish. The others (and the one I’m holding) are red drum, otherwise known simply as redfish. Fishing up north, especially in Alaska, is definitely on my bucket list. I’ll have to have a guide up there though.
    Your fish look so delicious! We use a charter service when fishing in Alaska since we don't have a big boat or live there. It's so worth it! Hope you get to go someday -- you'll love it!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

leaningright (05-27-2018)

18. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Your fish look so delicious! We use a charter service when fishing in Alaska since we don't have a big boat or live there. It's so worth it! Hope you get to go someday -- you'll love it!
    They are very good. I’ve eaten all of those varieties many times. I truly do hope to get to go to Alaska. If health holds and life deals no major catastrophes it should happen. Hope to take my son for a graduation trip in 2021. I like the looks of those halibut. If they’re anything like flounder as far as texture and whiteness they have to be good.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-28-2018)

20. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

They are very good. I’ve eaten all of those varieties many times. I truly do hope to get to go to Alaska. If health holds and life deals no major catastrophes it should happen. Hope to take my son for a graduation trip in 2021. I like the looks of those halibut. If they’re anything like flounder as far as texture and whiteness they have to be good.
    They are amazing! Up till then we had only had halibut that was previously frozen and was gawds only know how old. No comparison! Good luck, hope your planned trip works out!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

leaningright (05-28-2018)

22. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We did, but the weather switched for a bit and today was seasonably pleasant. Yesterday was stormy and very very humid. It has been running 15-20 degrees F above normal the last week... and humid as well. Worse for you because you're inland; we manage to survive by being close to Superior (<1/2 mile). Current surface water temps in our locale are ~45F. You guys aren't expected to cool off till next weekend. :~( How long are you staying? How's the fishing?
    We leave tomorrow morning. Wanted to stay all week but the misses could only get five days off. So we’re leaving tomorrow. Right now, 6:24 local time we’re having a thunderstorm so I have to wait till that’s over to get out on the water. Hopefully that will improve the fishing.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-28-2018), TOP (05-28-2018)

24. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I hate you.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

leaningright (05-28-2018), ThatOwlWoman (05-28-2018), TOP (05-28-2018)

26. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They are amazing! Up till then we had only had halibut that was previously frozen and was gawds only know how old. No comparison! Good luck, hope your planned trip works out!
    I hate you both. So far I’m into this trip for almost $2k, cabin, boat, travel, misc cost, etc,. Hell bribing the Misses cost me $400 buying her a Coach Backpack. Guess what it’s for? A travel bag for her make up...and...I kid you not... it’s not big enough. For all that I’ve caught two dinkie gill and one crappie barely keeping size.

On the plus side the cabin rental came with two kayaks and we’ve been having a blast paddling around the lake.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-28-2018), leaningright (05-28-2018), ThatOwlWoman (05-28-2018)