Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The South is changing. That should worry Republicans in 2018.

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    It is unlikely that overall there is anything that will change the deeply-ingrained attitudes of the typical racists, no matter where they live. The aging (and dying off naturally) demographic though will lessen the severity of the problem. Yeah, many of them managed to instill the same unreasoning hate in their kids.... but those kids also grew up and were exposed to minorities in popular culture who are admired -- recording artists, actors, sports figures, political leaders, teachers, health care providers, etc. This overcomes, eventually, the fear that is the root of racism. I have a lot of hope for both the South and for our country, as the old guard passes into history and the more open-minded youngsters take their place. I have also long admired the premise behind the Peace Corps. Missionaries sometimes use the same model. We win friends, converts, and spirits by lifting people up out of fear, poverty, and despair. Not by giving them money, but by showing them how to work towards prosperity and peace themselves. Education is a big player in this, and is why leftists in general support public schools and affordable higher education.

Think for a bit why conservatives in general deride education, public schools, and universities.
    Libertarians don't believe it is the government's job to educate children, thus they don't believe in public (read: government) schools. Economic Libertarian Bryan Caplan has the book out called "The Case Against Education". A provocative title for sure and an interesting one considering he has a PhD in Economics from Princeton. He argues Universities are basically just a signaling to employers that this person is ok to hire. He asks the question would you rather sit through four years of classes at Harvard and not get a diploma or not go to class but have the degree? Basically he argues for more trade schools and other skill based schools.

As far as Republicans and Conservatives I don't agree that they (we) deride education. To me that's just partisan campaign trail rhetoric. I do agree that some conservatives differ from liberals on how our education system should be run. Differing ideas on public education is not the same as deriding education. We can go into the details if you so desire.

If you like to read I'd recommend a book called The Prize. It's about the Newark NJ school system and what happened after Mark Zuckerberg made an $100m donation. It's not a partisan or ideological book, it just tells the story. It opens your eyes to a lot.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Instead of trying to psycho-analyze me, why not ask what I think?

I do not want racists accepted, tolerated, or provided safe harbor in the Republican or the Democratic parties. They already have their own party - the Nazi Party.

I do not give a shit about electoral politics when it comes to racists. Its about right and wrong. I want racists shunned, mocked, humiliated, and marginalized. I want them to be treated like the subhumans they are. And I would like to see Republicans and Democrats to tell them to stay the fuck out of our parties, we do not want their money or their support.

Oh, and on a similar tangent I would like to see Confederate monuments razed to the ground, and we should make it a tradition to burn confederate rebel flags on the fourth of July
    I'm trying to think how to put into words the point I was trying to make with my comment but it's not really coming to me. It wasn't an attack on you or an attempt to psycho-analyze you. There are people like guno who say basically the entire South is racist and anyone who votes Republican is racist. And he regularly says he waits to celebrate the day they all die. Hence my comments on why would you want those people votes? And as we know many people aren't just straight party line voters. Hell look at me, there are only two people I've voted for who currently hold elective office and they are both Democrats. Granted they are on the local level but still...

But there are "red" states that have "blue" governors and/or Senators and vice versa. There were Obama voters that voted for Trump. Not everyone follows politics like we do and not everyone is as emotionally invested in political party's as we are. That's what I'm getting at.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

You Bet Your Racist Ass it's Changing ... and by Any Means Necessary

Get Ready
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-25-2018)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 79 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    There is no blue tide. There are little tricks and partisan plays involved. The truth is this: There will be no party primaries, so if McDaniel and Hyde-Smith split the Republican vote, that could provide Espy a path to victory.

I think the shock and awe will be Democrats again wondering how they could be so eaily duped by a FAKE media.

We heard it was the end of the Republican Party with Obama's election.....it was a tidal wave. Then, in the midterms, Republicans took back the Congress in a tidal wave that swept the idiot Pelosi from her perch as one of the shortest lived Speakers of the House in our history.

Then we heard predictions that it was a NO-BRAINIER Hillary would be swept into office as our FIRST woman President on the heals of our FIRST Semi-Black President. But it didn't happen.

One thing that does keep happening though; idiots with TDS keep making stupid predictions and are seldom embarrassed by how wrong they are.

The generic polls went from 13% advantage for democrats to 1% advantage now according to Rueters

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...for-first-time

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ptif219 For This Post:

Truth Detector (06-04-2018)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    The question is why do you want these uneducated, racist, sexist, homophobic and poor cracka peckawoods to vote Democratic?
    Democrats are the slave owners that still keep the Blacks slaves to their policy. The democrats have always voted against freedoms and rights for Blacks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ptif219 For This Post:

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We would like to lift them up out of the mire of poverty, racism, and Duck Dynasty that they've so long suffered, and welcome them back to the folds of humanity.

Democrats want to keep them their so they can continue to deceive them so they will continue to vote democrat

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ptif219 For This Post:

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Are you really that partisan? Don't you just want someone who is smart and ethical? That is available on both sides of the aisle... Hillary was a poor candidate and Trump is an aberration ..

Trump is getting things done

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ptif219 For This Post:

13. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Instead of trying to psycho-analyze me, why not ask what I think?

I do not want racists accepted, tolerated, or provided safe harbor in the Republican or the Democratic parties. They already have their own party - the Nazi Party.

I do not give a shit about electoral politics when it comes to racists. Its about right and wrong. I want racists shunned, mocked, humiliated, and marginalized. I want them to be treated like the subhumans they are. And I would like to see Republicans and Democrats to tell them to stay the fuck out of our parties, we do not want their money or their support.

Oh, and on a similar tangent I would like to see Confederate monuments razed to the ground, and we should make it a tradition to burn confederate rebel flags on the fourth of July
    So you want the democrat party disbanded since they are racists and antisemites and bigots

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ptif219 For This Post:

15. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nice work, Owl.

One of the most depressing things about the Trump regime is that is has basically given the "very fine" Nazis in this country permission to come out of the closet and indulge their inner racist. It was pretty weird how many of the Nazis in Charlotteville seemed to be in their 20s, judging from the photo evidence. Kind of a bummer!
    You mean he is getting things done. Black unemployment is the lowest it has ever been and he is bringing peace to Korea. He has done what Democrats do not want done

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ptif219 For This Post:

17. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
    You Bet Your Racist Ass it's Changing ... and by Any Means Necessary

Get Ready
    Democrats are the racists. The gave us the KKK and Jim Crowe laws

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ptif219 For This Post:

19. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,710 Times in 27,343 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I'm trying to think how to put into words the point I was trying to make with my comment but it's not really coming to me. It wasn't an attack on you or an attempt to psycho-analyze you. There are people like guno who say basically the entire South is racist and anyone who votes Republican is racist. And he regularly says he waits to celebrate the day they all die. Hence my comments on why would you want those people votes? And as we know many people aren't just straight party line voters. Hell look at me, there are only two people I've voted for who currently hold elective office and they are both Democrats. Granted they are on the local level but still...

But there are "red" states that have "blue" governors and/or Senators and vice versa. There were Obama voters that voted for Trump. Not everyone follows politics like we do and not everyone is as emotionally invested in political party's as we are. That's what I'm getting at.
    No, I did not take it as an personal attack. I regret if my tone came across that way.

I don't know much about Guno, but I can say unequivocally there are lots of great, decent people in the south...and some of the most abhorrent racists I have met are from the rural north.

I used to be a Republican, and I never accepted racism. Its not about party. As a Republican, I did not even think of making common cause with racists as an electoral benefit. Did not cross my mind. Of course, I think the Republican party of the 1970s and 1980s had many more progressives and liberal-minded members, and was not openly tolerant of racists.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

kudzu (05-25-2018)

21. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,422 Times in 53,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Democrats want to keep them their so they can continue to deceive them so they will continue to vote democrat
    Oh look! A new moron to toy with!

22. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

We would like to lift them up out of the mire of poverty, racism, and Duck Dynasty that they've so long suffered, and welcome them back to the folds of humanity.
    That's the attitude that got Trump elected.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Controlled Opposition For This Post:

24. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    That's the attitude that got Trump elected.
    Nothing personal against Owl, and this is only a message board, but it really is true.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (05-25-2018)

26. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Trump is getting things done

No he isn't.. he shoots off his mouth and takes bows, but he's getting very little done. He's a profane bully and a moron.. This is a low point in American history.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-25-2018)