Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The South is changing. That should worry Republicans in 2018.

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Democrats are the racists. The gave us the KKK and Jim Crowe laws
    You sure seem limited......

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 79 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    You sure seem limited......
    So you do not know the history

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ptif219 For This Post:

Truth Detector (06-04-2018)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Oh look! A new moron to toy with!
    You mean a person that will show you the lies of democrats

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ptif219 For This Post:

6. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    That's the attitude that got Trump elected.
    Obama lost over 1000 seats for the democrats and got Trump elected

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ptif219 For This Post:

8. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    No he isn't.. he shoots off his mouth and takes bows, but he's getting very little done. He's a profane bully and a moron.. This is a low point in American history.
    We have tax cuts and many things being done like getting out of Obama's useless iran deal and we have Nk ready to go to a peace summit. We have lowest Black unemployment in history

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ptif219 For This Post:

10. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

It is unlikely that overall there is anything that will change the deeply-ingrained attitudes of the typical racists, no matter where they live. The aging (and dying off naturally) demographic though will lessen the severity of the problem. Yeah, many of them managed to instill the same unreasoning hate in their kids.... but those kids also grew up and were exposed to minorities in popular culture who are admired -- recording artists, actors, sports figures, political leaders, teachers, health care providers, etc. This overcomes, eventually, the fear that is the root of racism. I have a lot of hope for both the South and for our country, as the old guard passes into history and the more open-minded youngsters take their place. I have also long admired the premise behind the Peace Corps. Missionaries sometimes use the same model. We win friends, converts, and spirits by lifting people up out of fear, poverty, and despair. Not by giving them money, but by showing them how to work towards prosperity and peace themselves. Education is a big player in this, and is why leftists in general support public schools and affordable higher education.

Think for a bit why conservatives in general deride education, public schools, and universities.
    You didn't respond to my response, which is totally fine, but the way you phrased the highlighted implies to me at least you have an answer for that in mind. I'd be interested in hearing it.
    Last edited by cawacko; 05-25-2018 at 12:53 PM.

11. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's another thing I'm tired of hearing. I mean the idea that people with college degrees are more politically sophisticated than those without them. It's as if someone's political science degree from the 1970's is relevant today.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Controlled Opposition For This Post:

13. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,302 Times in 53,215 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    That's the attitude that got Trump elected.
    So you don't agree that the South is filled with poverty and racism?

14. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    You didn't respond to my response, which is totally fine, but the way you phrased the highlighted implies to me at least you have an answer for that in mind. I'd be interested in hearing it.
    Conservatives in general think that public education sucks, and the more Xtian they are the more this tends to be true. I'm sure you've noticed the push going on for government-paid vouchers so they can send their kids to religious-based private schools? You've heard of charter schools as well. How many posts have you seen here that whine about the universities being filled with liberals, and teaching useless stuff?

I agree with you about trade schools. I would like to see the stigma removed (by educating both parents and students) and more kids with aptitude being guided in that direction. I'd also like to see post-high school trade schools fully-funded so qualified kids can go for 1-2 years and graduate knowing a skilled trade.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-25-2018)

16. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Conservatives in general think that public education sucks, and the more Xtian they are the more this tends to be true. I'm sure you've noticed the push going on for government-paid vouchers so they can send their kids to religious-based private schools? You've heard of charter schools as well. How many posts have you seen here that whine about the universities being filled with liberals, and teaching useless stuff?

I agree with you about trade schools. I would like to see the stigma removed (by educating both parents and students) and more kids with aptitude being guided in that direction. I'd also like to see post-high school trade schools fully-funded so qualified kids can go for 1-2 years and graduate knowing a skilled trade.
    I don't think it's just conservatives who think our education system here sucks or is lacking. For example, look at some of our leading liberal cities in the country. LA, SF, NY. Look how many parents in those cities send their kids to private schools.

There are upper middle class to wealthy suburbs all around the country that have excellent public schools. But unless you have money to afford to move there good luck to you elsewhere.

I'm partly speaking for myself here and partly speaking for conservatives. The status quo of a one size fits all top down education model that we had in the 1950's doesn't work in the 21st Century. But that is what teachers unions continue to fight for as well as many public school advocates. Kids don't all learn the same way. Believing that we need options, such as charter schools, does not mean that person hates public schools. There are many Democrats who support charter schools for instance.

Just my opinion but I believe your premise is wrong that because someone wants to change and improve the system means they hate the system. The argument we often hear from public schools supporters is we need more money. The issue there is if more money is granted and results don't change then the response is "well, we need even more money". It's never ending. I point back to the book The Prize about the Newark School System and Mark Zuckerberg's $100m donation. Very little of that money actually reached the classroom. In fact it just caused more infighting among the bureaucrats. It was a disaster.

Universities are liberal dominated, that's just a fact. And we're seeing conservative voices and speakers being shut down all across the country. Even President Obama commented on it. I don't think pointing that out means one hates Universities or that college is worthless. And to each his own as to what one wants to study in college but there are some worthless classes and for kids racking up tens of thousands of dollars in debt over it I don't think it wrong to ask the question why.

At the end of the day I don't think having a different vision of how to improve the academic culture in our country means one hates public schools and Universities.

17. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So you don't agree that the South is filled with poverty and racism?
    I don't know how you defined filled but there is poverty and racism all across America. The South doesn't have a monopoly on it.

18. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    We have tax cuts and many things being done like getting out of Obama's useless iran deal and we have Nk ready to go to a peace summit. We have lowest Black unemployment in history

you can calm down you boomers will be dead soon so no need to get your depends in a bundle

19. The Following User Says Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-25-2018)

20. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I don't know how you defined filled but there is poverty and racism all across America. The South doesn't have a monopoly on it.
    Most southern states are the poorest in the nation. But you know that. You're just arguing to be arguing.

https://www.census.gov/library/visua...verty_map.html

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-25-2018)

22. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,811 Times in 14,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Most southern states are the poorest in the nation. But you know that. You're just arguing to be arguing.

https://www.census.gov/library/visua...verty_map.html
    correlation between that and low educational levels and rabid christer fundamentalism in those places
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

23. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    correlation between that and low educational levels and rabid christer fundamentalism in those places
    Yep.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-25-2018)