Sounds like the pastor has been following the Pope's preaching

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Sounds like the pastor has been following the Pope's preaching
    Admittedly I don't follow the Pope closely but I find it difficult to believe the Pope would be using this type of language and rhetoric

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Back in the late 90s/early 20s I belonged to a parrot fan group that included many ppl from your area. A lot of us have fallen by the waysides of time and death, but many abide. One bird-fan I loved so much lived in the SF area and was a teacher. She confirmed what you say about living costs and commuting costs... and her last post that I call was in maybe 2004-2005. She said that teachers wanting to teach in the SF area had to commute more than an hour each way.
    Piggy backing off our discussion and your comments about people becoming restless and possibly wanting change (revolting) I read this today. (The article is about some employers having challenges bringing employees from out of state into CA because of costs)

Surveys have found some evidence that employers are taking cost of living into account when negotiating hiring packages to lure top-level workers to California. But lower-wage workers are not getting as much help to offset rising rents. If these trends continue, the future could hold more inequality and stagnant growth, said USC professor Gary Painter.

“The kind of economy that California might grow into is one where there’s a few people earning a lot, and then a bunch of lower wage workers,” said Painter. “And that has never been a recipe for long-term quality of life and economic growth in the United States.”

https://calmatters.org/articles/is-c...f-job-seekers/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-24-2018)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fewer people should come to California. I'm tired of hearing arguments that we don't have enough housing, housing is too expensive
    and that if we don't make housing more affordable, it will hurt growth. You know what is never said?

"I don't want any more people here, cheap housing at all or more growth." I want less of all three. What's wrong with that?
    Go away. How about that? Go to Kansas.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

Cancel 2018.1 (05-24-2018)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Fewer people should come to California. I'm tired of hearing arguments that we don't have enough housing, housing is too expensive
    and that if we don't make housing more affordable, it will hurt growth. You know what is never said?

"I don't want any more people here, cheap housing at all or more growth." I want less of all three. What's wrong with that?
    State leaders may not verbalize that to the public but many of our cities and counties do by not building more housing.

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    We definitely have those divisions. The blue collar workers come in from 30 to 90 miles away because they can't afford to live in these wealthy communities and the wealthy communities don't want to build new housing. Then the wealthy communities have good public schools and the others don't. And when the wealthy communities have public schools that have lower income students who can also attend they said their kids to private schools that cost $40K - $50K/yr. It's a whole other level. I had lunch with a good friend last week who said he's paying $200K, in after tax dollars, to send his four kids to private school because his wife doesn't think the public school in their uber rich neighborhood is good enough. Crazy.
    I have to admit I don't relate to the uber wealthy as I don't know many.

Hell I was raised on a Hog and Corn farm in rural Ohio till I was 13....and moved to rural Iowa where I lived till I was 18. In my life time I've gone from dirt farmer poor, to working class poor to lower middle and middle class and finally arriving at upper middle class status in my mid 40's. Given my early background the odds of me making middle class let alone upper middle class weren't good....but I did make it that far and I'm kind of proud of that.

Having said that I just have never been around that kind of money where I can relate to spending $200K annually for kids private school cause they might be marginally better. I can relate to the Tiger Mom mentality of mom's in wealthy families. Many of whom would have no problem machine gunning every child in the county if that's what is neccessary to assure her kids get a competitive education.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Bigdog (05-25-2018), cawacko (05-24-2018)

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

My wife has quite a few friends and shirt tail relatives who live in Southern Cali and when you tell them what kind of home you can get for $250,000 or that in cost less than $6,500 to send your kind to a private school and that your income earning potential are not that much different than Southern Cali the freak. Particularly here in the Columbus metro area. It's not a company or mill town and it has a large tech presence, R&D, Education and a booming economy. Depending on your skill you can in certain cases make more money here in Cowtown and your CoL is far lower.

They don't want to give up that sunshine though. LOL
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post

Hell I was raised on a Hog and Corn farm in rural Ohio till I was 13....and moved to rural Iowa where I lived till I was 18. In my life time I've gone from dirt farmer poor, to working class poor to lower middle and middle class and finally arriving at upper middle class status in my mid 40's. Given my early background the odds of me making middle class let alone upper middle class weren't good....but I did make it that far and I'm kind of proud of that.

Having said that I just have never been around that kind of money where I can relate to spending $200K annually for kids private school cause they might be marginally better. I can relate to the Tiger Mom mentality of mom's in wealthy families. Many of whom would have no problem machine gunning every child in the county if that's what is neccessary to assure her kids get a competitive education.
    I'm guessing my buddy makes between $1-$2m a year. Clearly that's a lot of money but he's not in the Uber wealthy category. What struck me though was how much stress you could tell he's under/still feels. It's not like he's kicking back with his feet on the desk on cruise control. He's thinking I have four kids the wife wants to put through private school all the way (and this isn't even talking college) so I have to keep producing at a high level.

I don't state that in any way like we should feel sorry for the guy because we shouldn't. But when you put yourself in the heart of the rat race it can bring a lot of stress along with it. Hence my belief, and experience from living here, that those who make a lot of money aren't always happy. (trust me I'd rather have more money than less if I wasn't to be happy but just saying)

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

State leaders may not verbalize that to the public but many of our cities and counties do by not building more housing.
    Good. The quality of life here diminishes with each next person.

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good. The quality of life here diminishes with each next person.
    You not like the competition for your welfare dollars huh?

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My wife has quite a few friends and shirt tail relatives who live in Southern Cali and when you tell them what kind of home you can get for $250,000 or that in cost less than $6,500 to send your kind to a private school and that your income earning potential are not that much different than Southern Cali the freak. Particularly here in the Columbus metro area. It's not a company or mill town and it has a large tech presence, R&D, Education and a booming economy. Depending on your skill you can in certain cases make more money here in Cowtown and your CoL is far lower.

They don't want to give up that sunshine though. LOL
    No doubt many of us with enough years in here could live in the mayor's house at many other perfectly fine places. It is what it is though, you lose that nice vibe with every next well educated
    kid who can't get a decent job and is spending 50 percent of what he makes for rented housing. I have strategize my commute. Spread the word "get the fuck out!" lol

Maybe I'll move to aiken Georgia and buy a MAGA hat.

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Piggy backing off our discussion and your comments about people becoming restless and possibly wanting change (revolting) I read this today. (The article is about some employers having challenges bringing employees from out of state into CA because of costs)

Surveys have found some evidence that employers are taking cost of living into account when negotiating hiring packages to lure top-level workers to California. But lower-wage workers are not getting as much help to offset rising rents. If these trends continue, the future could hold more inequality and stagnant growth, said USC professor Gary Painter.

“The kind of economy that California might grow into is one where there’s a few people earning a lot, and then a bunch of lower wage workers,” said Painter. “And that has never been a recipe for long-term quality of life and economic growth in the United States.”

https://calmatters.org/articles/is-c...f-job-seekers/
    A priori though, why always the emphasis on growth? Can't we just have a pie and share it better? I DONT want more people here. There are too many already.
    Why attract more people? Let's attract kids to Columbus and Detroit and Lamar and Jarrat and Billings. SF SD and LA need more people like it needs more Starbucks.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

Cancel 2018.1 (05-24-2018)

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You should be proud. Tiger mom. Funny.

There are cheaper ways to flim flam into better school districts than 200 K. If I had a million to spend on my kid's high school education I'd just open him an etrade account
    and let him trade on the daily volatility of midcap and take $50 grand and buy him a fake Harvard diploma on the dark web, pat him on the head and that's that.

Before you know it he'd be Trump.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (05-25-2018)

19. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A priori though, why always the emphasis on growth? Can't we just have a pie and share it better? I DONT want more people here. There are too many already.
    Why attract more people? Let's attract kids to Columbus and Detroit and Lamar and Jarrat and Billings. SF SD and LA need more people like it needs more Starbucks.
    In theory we could take that same attitude about immigrants saying we have enough people in the country already so let no more in. It's doable but I don't think it's the path we should take. Likewise, California can stop growth but I don't think that's the path we should take either. Leaving aside it's the ultimate "Fvck you, I've got mine attitude" ultimately we would become less competitive business wise and less value for property owners.

Now if your goal is get people to leave the state that might actually be enticing. But it's not the route I'd like to see the state take

20. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

In theory we could take that same attitude about immigrants saying we have enough people in the country already so let no more in. It's doable but I don't think it's the path we should take. Likewise, California can stop growth but I don't think that's the path we should take either. Leaving aside it's the ultimate "Fvck you, I've got mine attitude" ultimately we would become less competitive business wise and less value for property owners.

Now if your goal is get people to leave the state that might actually be enticing. But it's not the route I'd like to see the state take
    That is already happening.