Thread: Progressive Palo Alto Pastor Unleases on "Elitist" Tech, Homeowners

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    That is already happening.
    True. Among migration within the U.S. we have more out migration than those coming in. But as far as overall when you count immigration from outside the country we still have overall population growth. Essentially the middle and lower middle class is being forced out and being replaced by high earners and low skilled immigrants

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I'm guessing my buddy makes between $1-$2m a year. Clearly that's a lot of money but he's not in the Uber wealthy category. What struck me though was how much stress you could tell he's under/still feels. It's not like he's kicking back with his feet on the desk on cruise control. He's thinking I have four kids the wife wants to put through private school all the way (and this isn't even talking college) so I have to keep producing at a high level.

I don't state that in any way like we should feel sorry for the guy because we shouldn't. But when you put yourself in the heart of the rat race it can bring a lot of stress along with it. Hence my belief, and experience from living here, that those who make a lot of money aren't always happy. (trust me I'd rather have more money than less if I wasn't to be happy but just saying)
    Trust me I know. The guys at the top of the game live work and deal with terrifying levels of stress. I’m not cut out for that. I’ve had opportunities to go into sales and make triple what I currently make if I hit budget...but to do that you need to work 80 hours or more a week and it’s stressful as hell. No thanks. It’s no secret to making money in a corporate environment. Generate revenue for 100 hours a week and you’ll have no problem making 250k or more a year.

I have too much I enjoy about life to spend it all at work. In many respects you’re better off as an individual contributor at a high level. Money’s good if not great and you have a life outside of work.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Cypress (05-25-2018)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    No doubt many of us with enough years in here could live in the mayor's house at many other perfectly fine places. It is what it is though, you lose that nice vibe with every next well educated
    kid who can't get a decent job and is spending 50 percent of what he makes for rented housing. I have strategize my commute. Spread the word "get the fuck out!" lol

Maybe I'll move to aiken Georgia and buy a MAGA hat.
    Youd like Athens GA and you wouldn’t need a MAGA hat. Same with Savanna GA. You’d have a gorgeous Colonial mansion on a magnolia lined Blvd for what you pay for a cookie cutter ranch in suburban LA.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A priori though, why always the emphasis on growth? Can't we just have a pie and share it better? I DONT want more people here. There are too many already.
    Why attract more people? Let's attract kids to Columbus and Detroit and Lamar and Jarrat and Billings. SF SD and LA need more people like it needs more Starbucks.
    You know the population density in Ohio is not that far off of California’s. It’s just everyone in Cali wants to live by the coast.

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

In theory we could take that same attitude about immigrants saying we have enough people in the country already so let no more in. It's doable but I don't think it's the path we should take. Likewise, California can stop growth but I don't think that's the path we should take either. Leaving aside it's the ultimate "Fvck you, I've got mine attitude" ultimately we would become less competitive business wise and less value for property owners.

Now if your goal is get people to leave the state that might actually be enticing. But it's not the route I'd like to see the state take
    Yes but what Mac suggested would be good for Ohio so fuck you.

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

True. Among migration within the U.S. we have more out migration than those coming in. But as far as overall when you count immigration from outside the country we still have overall population growth. Essentially the middle and lower middle class is being forced out and being replaced by high earners and low skilled immigrants
    It would appear your problem is that you’re having a hard time fitting in with the immigrants?

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,626 Times in 27,290 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Trust me I know. The guys at the top of the game live work and deal with terrifying levels of stress. I’m not cut out for that. I’ve had opportunities to go into sales and make triple what I currently make if I hit budget...but to do that you need to work 80 hours or more a week and it’s stressful as hell. No thanks. It’s no secret to making money in a corporate environment. Generate revenue for 100 hours a week and you’ll have no problem making 250k or more a year.

I have too much I enjoy about life to spend it all at work. In many respects you’re better off as an individual contributor at a high level. Money’s good if not great and you have a life outside of work.
    Cheers.

The conventional wisdom used to be that money was what motivated people to work, what motivated them to perform.
    There have been recent studies that turn that paradigm on it's head. What people want is enough money to be comfortable, enough money so that money isn't a real issue in their life. Enough money so they are not stressing out about bills or mortgages. In other words, people want a baseline amount of money, but after reaching that baseline what they really want is freedom to be creative and independent in their jobs. Money doesn't matter after a certain point. The vast majority of people aren't motivated or made happy by being paid ridiculous sums of money, and being wealthy. They want a job, a career, where they can have the freedom to create, to have some independence, and have their opinion and ideas sought after and honored by management and employers.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (05-25-2018)

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Cheers.

The conventional wisdom used to be that money was what motivated people to work, what motivated them to perform.
    There have been recent studies that turn that paradigm on it's head. What people want is enough money to be comfortable, enough money so that money isn't a real issue in their life. Enough money so they are not stressing out about bills or mortgages. In other words, people want a baseline amount of money, but after reaching that baseline what they really want is freedom to be creative and independent in their jobs. Money doesn't matter after a certain point. The vast majority of people aren't motivated or made happy by being paid ridiculous sums of money, and being wealthy. They want a job, a career, where they can have the freedom to create, to have some independence, and have their opinion and ideas sought after and honored by management and employers.
    I am often appalled and I mean appalled by what corporations consider leadership. Don’t believe me? Walk into a corporate office and pull a circuit breaker and watch the panic that ensues.

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I am often appalled and I mean appalled by what corporations consider leadership. Don’t believe me? Walk into a corporate office and pull a circuit breaker and watch the panic that ensues.
    Ha!
    In my experience, a lot of vision and leadership comes from the bottom up, not the top down. From professional staff, not from upper management. In the organizations I have worked in, upper management generally is concerned with managing political-economic expectations, bean counting, and management of human resources, and they live in this world of made-up corporate lingo and jargon.

Engineers, staff professionals, lower-level project managers, depending on their competency and skill sets, are the ones actually executing real work, getting their hands dirty, and making tangible progress on real things. A lot of the vision and leadership for an organization starts there and filters it's way up.

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You know the population density in Ohio is not that far off of California’s. It’s just everyone in Cali wants to live by the coast.
    I totally believe your state is as densely populated as Cali, if not more so.

There is a lot more wilderness in California than I ever experienced in Texas.

There are large parts of Cali that are surprisingly remote and sparsely populated.
    The coastal population in concentrated in southern Cal, but the rest of the coast outside the Bay Area is remarkably remote and sparsely populated.

I mostly try to avoid So Cal....at all costs!

13. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It would appear your problem is that you’re having a hard time fitting in with the immigrants?
    Lol, touche

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (05-25-2018)

15. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Youd like Athens GA and you wouldn’t need a MAGA hat. Same with Savanna GA. You’d have a gorgeous Colonial mansion on a magnolia lined Blvd for what you pay for a cookie cutter ranch in suburban LA.
    Cool, would it come with a white suit and ample sworn to defend against all comers field hands?

16. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I totally believe your state is as densely populated as Cali, if not more so.

There is a lot more wilderness in California than I ever experienced in Texas.

There are large parts of Cali that are surprisingly remote and sparsely populated.
    The coastal population in concentrated in southern Cal, but the rest of the coast outside the Bay Area is remarkably remote and sparsely populated.

I mostly try to avoid So Cal....at all costs!
    Yep, 40 -120 miles from coast most of California is vacant, owned by no density. You'll need some water rights, a spacious Hacienda and a macadamea (sp) nut ranch to enjoy it there.

17. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My beef is its always a given, the premise, that we must grow, grow in output, population, housing....

That is a questionable premise.

I recall when I came to San Diego it was more like Santa Cruz or Santa Barbara vibe wise. Now San Diego is what LA was then and LA
    looks from above like Omaha beach meets Beijing or Stuttgart or Mexico City. Except Riviera CC. Of course if you are wealthy yada yada

18. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My beef is its always a given, the premise, that we must grow, grow in output, population, housing....

That is a questionable premise.

I recall when I came to San Diego it was more like Santa Cruz or Santa Barbara vibe wise. Now San Diego is what LA was then and LA
    looks from above like Omaha beach meets Beijing or Stuttgart or Mexico City. Except Riviera CC. Of course if you are wealthy yada yada
    Boomers grew up on "go west young man" and "California dreamin". I mean who doesn't want to live near the ocean with great weather? It's the American Dream