Thread: Are Americans dumb enough to fall for the new attacks on Obama?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,628 Times in 21,489 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Are Americans dumb enough to fall for the new attacks on Obama?

I agree with Obama on this one, I hope Americans are intelegent enough to see through the attacks...

"When asked to respond, Obama noted that he disagreed with Wright's comments and stated, "Here is what happens when you just cherry-pick statements from a guy who had a 40-year career as a pastor. There are times when people say things that are just wrong. But I think it's important to judge me on what I've said in the past and what I believe."[23] Obama has also stated that Wright "is like an old uncle who says things I don't always agree with."[24]

On his comments about 9/11, Obama has said[13]:

“The violence of 9/11 was inexcusable and without justification.,,. It sounds like he was trying to be provocative. ...Reverend Wright is a child of the 60s, and he often expresses himself in that language of concern with institutional racism and the struggles the African-American community has gone through,.... He analyzes public events in the context of race. I tend to look at them through the context of social justice and inequality.”
    On March 14, 2008, Obama wrote an article for the Huffington Post website entitled On My Faith and My Church in which he said the following:

Let me say at the outset that I vehemently disagree and strongly condemn the statements that have been the subject of this controversy. I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies. I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue.[25]"

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Wright[/ame]

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

The talking heads and such of any intelligence have already seen Obamas response and said it was good and moved on.
    Only the fools that need to justify their anti Obama stance still harp on this.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hell, had Bush come out and said he disagreed with the anti-gay hate speach that came out of some of the mega-church evangelical leaders he has been associated with, I would have said... Ok - at least he is not a whacko, he just associates with them.

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Make no mistake - Americans are pretty dumb. But I think these kinds of tactics are losing their muscle. It might play better in an election year characterized by peace & prosperity, but I think most people are looking at their unpaid bills & dwindling home values, and then looking at the Wright flap, and thinking something along the lines of "huh?"

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which indicates to me that we can expect far better things from Obama than Bush.
    Sadly that is not saying much though.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This is making me more pro-Obama than ever.

The man stands up to a friend for saying outlandish things, but still considers him a friend. I like that!

LOCK HIM UP!

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nobody was ever elected underestimating the stupidity of Americans. Americans are both incredibly smart and incredibly stupid at the same time. One never knows what will get them. But racism is one of the things that tend to gather it all up. Whether you think it is smart or stupid it is one of the things that is tough to wash off if you are pegged with it.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Nobody was ever elected underestimating the stupidity of Americans. Americans are both incredibly smart and incredibly stupid at the same time. One never knows what will get them. But racism is one of the things that tend to gather it all up. Whether you think it is smart or stupid it is one of the things that is tough to wash off if you are pegged with it.
    I agree. I just dont know for sure if Americans are dumb enough to allow this to stain Obama or not.

LOCK HIM UP!

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

Yeah, it's kind of like the dumbasses that smear Paul. And it is, at its base, for the same reason.
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My uncle was a rabid conservative untill about three years ago, he is supporting Senator Clinton because he liked the prosperity of the 90's.

LOCK HIM UP!

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

hell yes, most people want to believe the worst
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America